Truck suspension

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BradKW

Reaction score
I'm at a point where I keep asking myself "what is level" with regards to the box. It has a definite slope forward, rear suspension higher than front.

What would be involved in raising the front suspension to level the floor? It's not something I plan to do anytime soon (assuming it's feasible), but I'd really like to know if that can go on the to-do list. Otherwise I'm tempted to "level" some things on install, such as countertop and shower pan...

Most people level the rig when they set up camp. Ramps, blocks, rocks, holes, whatever.

Trucks are higher in the back to compensate for the load weighing down the back.

You will only be as level as the spot you park on.
Just look for one sloped in the opposite direction as your rig tilts.........done.
I've been playing that game for ears.

If you get a very large girlfriend, or become a polygamist, you'll be all set. Adjust number of girlfriends/wives to suit your rear spring rate.

do not mess with the geometry of your front suspension if anything you might be able to get shorter shackles in the rear

wait, don't do a thing to your suspension until your build is done and all the weight in it. make your counter tops parallel with your floor. when you are done see how it sits. if you still need to level it come back and we will discuss how to. highdesertranger

the only reason LEVEL would be an issue is THE OLD REFRIGERATOR . you do not need to be on the level. Level is relative, big hug here ...

As HDR said do nothing till you're done with the mods. Try to get the load distributed evenly over the wheels ratings , that's the real concern.
Then mount a small bubble level on the dash and another on the side door.
Watch them when you park and be as level as you are comfortable with.
Sleeping level is probably your only concern , compressor fridge is much more forgiving of this ( I think it's like 30* you'll always be within that unless you park with an axle on top of another vehicle or some other big object) than the RV type are(need to be within a few *s to avoid damaging).

I always thought it would be cool to do a build with dump hardware installed. Then I could park on any angle and use the dump bed til level! But in all seriousness, I think you already got the best advice, do the build and see where you stand and then adjust accordingly if needed or just use leveling blocks when you get to where you're going.

rvpopeye said:
Then mount a small bubble level on the dash and another on the side door.
Watch them when you park and be as level as you are comfortable with.

Or be part of the modern world and use a bubble simulator app on your smart phone.  :D

MrNoodly said:
Or be part of the modern world and use a bubble simulator app on your smart phone.  :D

no,i like bubbles

"[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Or be part of the modern world and use a bubble simulator app on your smart phone.  [/font]
biggrin.gif
",  OUCH!

Anyway, good advice, definitely wait until your build is done before messing with ride height/leveling.

My goal is to have my truck level empty except full tanks(s) of gas and driver. 

I will be adding a second set of rear shocks (air) out back to re-level when loaded.

They will be separated with a valve so I can use them to help level onsite.

I spent 3 months trying to find spots where the floor of my cube van would be level.
Couldn't find any!

So I'm building my kitchen stuff level to the ground, with an obvious slope with regards to the floor.