Trouble with my Mr. Heater Little Buddy

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bwallenjr

Reaction score
Hi yall well big snow storm on the East Coast. My area of the Blue Ridge did not get hit as bad as others but I and my family live so remotely I did not relish the idea of being snowed in and losing power so we fled further south. Nights have still be cold but no snow.

I use a little buddy heater to help keep us warm at night. Never had s problem with it before. This trip however I have had trouble with it. Twice when the 1 lbs bottle got low the flame started pulsing and it went out. Then it would not restart. After inserting a new bottle and much effort and usually leaving it alone for a.good long while. The pulot light would ignite and it would behave normal. Anyone else have this issue? Any thoughts or suggestions?

I've noticed that mine would shut off before a 1# bottle was empty too.
Turns out in real cold weather they "freeze" and the gas stops flowing .
A fresh bottle got it running again and the almost empty bottle worked after letting it thaw.

Didn't have it happen after I started using a 20# tank and hose.

The canisters can get too cold and the propane will not vaporize. Also check that you have enough ventilation as the pilot is the way Buddy Heaters sense enough oxygen or not.

The pilot tube might need cleaning. It can be done with rubbing alcohol and cotton swabs.

Here is a short video on how to do it:

Damian