Mr Heater Portable Buddy (Mr Buddy) Pilot

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeRuth

Reaction score
Had an issue that I wanted to share this past weekend. 
I have had this heater about a year and frankly I don't think I have 3 can's through it yet. It has worked as it should. 

so I had a bottle in it that was getting low, it emptied and I put a new bottle on, everything was good. I stored the unit away as I always do behind the seat and with the bottle attached. Next morning was chilly so brought it out and began to light the pilot. After several attempts I noticed that the pilot seemed to be letting gas out at a high pressure and there was no way it was going to light. So I pulled the guard off and attempted to light it with a butane lighter, It was obvious that the gas pressure was way to high, to high to light. 

I thought well lets take the bottle off and then try again, for probably 20 to 30 seconds the pressure at the pilot tip was still to high but finally the pressure lowered and it lit, and this was with the bottle off. I actually got the bottle re attached before the pilot went out and wallah the pilot is burning at the normal level!

I turned it on high, let it warm, shut it off completely. let it cool, tried again and no problem lighting. 

So, I don't know why this happened other than if it has a regulator to the pilot it wasn't regulating the pressure. Removing the bottle and letting the pressure lower did the trick. 

Again just an FYI to users of the Mr. Buddy Portable. 

Mike R