Trip to Alaska, what do I need to know

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

decodancer

Reaction score
I've talked forever about a van camping trip to Alaska. I think this might be the year and have tons of questions. Have any of you gone? I'm coming from the east coast, should I stay in the US as long as possible or trek through Canada? Are there boondocking or at least low cost places on the way up? I've only got a 22 gallon tank, are there long stretches with no gas? A friend said that the roads are unpaved in some areas. Is that true? Safety for a woman traveling solo has always been a concern. I have always stayed in campgrounds or well lit 24 hour places. Is this possible in Canada? Cell service? So many questions but I know I'm in the right place for answers.

Its been quite a few years since I made the trip by road to Alaska but I'd say go ahead and go. Like any long road trip, be sure your van is in tip top shape. Check all your engine's hoses and belts. Have new or nearly new tires with at least one good spare. You don't want to break down on the road a long way from home. Having some form of tow insurance like AAA could be very handy.

I'd say both Canada and the U.S. are good routes so pick the one that appeals to you. If your van can make 250 to 300 miles on a single tank of gas you should be okay.

I have had good luck with this site and I just took a quick look at it and there seem to be quite a few places in Canada.
http://freecampsites.net/#!(51.90361280788357, -122.2998046875)

Search it and other boon docking sources and see if you think there will be enough low cost places to stay in one country vs the other. It would seem like you would have more options in the USA but I wouldn't say that's true. There may be provincial park yearly pass discounts etc. State forests, federal forest etc.

As far as gasoline, just fill up more often, it isn't going to kill your mileage by being full. Besides that, you dont want to run an in tank electric fuel pump low on fuel. I would say never go below a quarter tank. If you look at free campsite.com you will see that there are for free and pay campsites. The pay sites often have a host so someone is there to take your money and keep the place in order. Some of the free sites will be remote or you may be the only person there. So, as far as being female, I would lean toward the sites that have a host or others around. Don't let any of that scare you but you want to act on the side of caution. If it doesn't feel right dont go there. I have been to free sites that are in the middle of a small town with water and elec hook ups. Cant get much better. Also check on discounts. I have stayed at county parks that are $12.00 a night and $6.00 with a senior discount. I dont know you age.
I would probably go through Canada because I would like to see towns like Moose Jaw, medicine Hat, Calgary, Saskatoon and BC. Maybe take the USA route on the way back and stay to the north side of lake Superior and back into Canada.

Have a plan B. Do you have enough stash to replace a blown trans or other break downs?
It would seem that you could stay on pavement for the whole trip.
Maybe you can find other ladies that are traveling and you can meet up at certain points.

Tell us about your van sometime. You want it checked over well before heading out.

I driven the length of the AlCan twice, in semi trucks, and in the middle of WINTER.

I absolutely LOVED it, and plan to ride it all next year on my motorcycle. (this year's roadtrip is already laid-out)

Jamo's advice sounds right on the money ta me. Bring an extra jerry can of gas "just-in-case"!! The rest is basic common sence. (...don't pet a wild grizzly bear cub for example.) :D

One thing to know about crossing into Canada is...

a.) Make sure you have a Canadian insurance card for your van. This can be had by simply calling your insurance carrier and they'll print one out for you...but you've gotta have it!!

and b.) If you or anyone you have with you EVER had a DUI (doesn't matter if it's from 25 years ago)...FORGET IT!!! Canada will NOT let you in. Plain & simple.

oh, and c.) Bring your Passport. (ya never know!!)

If it were me making this trip from the Eastern US, I'd be inclined to go into Canada at Niagara Falls, and go across Canada through the upper route. I know guys who've done it on bikes, and it sounds wonderful!! Then, you can take the southern route back through the US for on the trip home...just so you're not backtracking. It keeps things exciting & interesting this way.

last thoughts....

Take a TON of pictures and post up a Road Report for us to enjoy while you're out there on the road, and...

......CAN I COME ALONG TOO?????? :D

Have a great trip!!

Deco,

I made that trip Summer, 2012, E-150, 17-20mpg, simple home built living space, solo female, 2 small dogs, from Texas, 10,352.5 miles round trip, >3 months. Only time I was nervous was in a Walmart lot in Vancouver but all went well. People tend to be very helpful to a woman traveling alone. You will be fine, using your normal girl radar.

Most roads were fine, some were a little rough, some were gravel, just drive accordingly. I had one flat tire, which deflated in a campground so changing it was no problem. Don't count on calling for help since your cell phone probably won't work, except in cities. People will stop and help so don't stress about it. I did have my van looked over before I left and replaced the battery, serpentine belt, hoses, fluids, brakes checked, etc.

If you have a pet, there are specific regs. Lots of wrong info on the net about it. PM me if you wish.

I stayed mostly in Provincial campgrounds in Canada. Nice overall. Same in Alaska.

No problems with gas stations. I never let my tank go below half.

The one thing I am so glad I did was to install screens on the van side doors. The mosquitoes were horrendous. And get a mosquito net that goes over a hat, too.

Don't let the scare stories on the net deter you. It's mostly bull. That trip was no more difficult than a trip I made to Maine the year before. Just longer.

Do your research like any other trip, relax and have a great time!

A fishing rod as most small creeks will yield you a greyling, good repellant, mosquito net over your bed is not a bad idea if you don't have good screens, or even if you do, warm clothes as it can feel like winter on any given day, even in July or August. Canada is lightly populated, especially once you get 100 miles from the border, so there are plenty of places to pull over and boondock safely, look around bridges often there are little side roads that lead down to a river or creek. I think the shortest route, would be going across the states below Chicago,up through the Dekotas and beeline it through Edmonton, Dawson Creek then North. Patrick suggestion to go around the lakes is also a good way, a lot hillier and a bit longer but nice just the same, Northern Ontario is very pretty, rocky lots of lakes.The last time I did it was on a scooter in 2008 with 150 mile range and I did not carry a jerry can, there were a lot of gas stations that had shut down since the time I had driven before not sure if that is a continuing trend. Enjoy it is a wonderful road trip, next year you can do the Trans Labrador. There is also a road that goes to James Bay now and beyond to new Hydro Dams. So much to see so little time.

We've gone to Alaska three times. Each time was a little different, each was wonderful.

There's not a lot to see in the Canadian plains and gas is more expensive so I'd recommend driving across the US and entering Canada in western Alberta so that you go through all of the parks in the Canadian Rockies.

Lots of boondocking spots. We never felt unsafe. Fill your tank at each gas station when you're out in the boonies. You never know if the next one will be opened. The roads are in good shape, even the unpaved ones. Go slow and watch for frost heaves. People are very friendly and helpful. We had a flat on one trip. We had people coming to help almost before we had stopped rolling.

I have a lot of information on my blog - Here Click on "older posts" at the bottom of the first page of posts for more Alaska posts.

Did you know that Bob is going to Alaska this summer? Here Maybe you'll run into each other!

I'm going to review all the places you mentioned and check out your blogs as well. My van is old but has low mileage. I would be sure to have it completely checked out and even take a few extra belts and hoses. I remember getting towed to a tiny town in Georgia early on a Sunday morning. None of the auto parts stores opened on Sunday. The mechanic made a dozen calls and finally fashioned a replacement from a piece of garden hose. I will never forget the many hours we spent there. I'll be sure and check on regulations regarding the dogs when I know for sure that I will be going.
Somebody mentioned the Rocky's. I would sooner avoid huge mountains as I'm terrified of heights and avoid tunnels like the plague. I also lose so much power when climbing in the van. I'm always worried about the poor souls behind me.
What is the latest and earliest times of year to consider taking such a trip. Just in case I have to put it off and work another season for extra funds. If as you mentioned a major issue happens. Planning a trip is so much fun and you don't have to worry about hearing all about it.

Especially while boondocking along the way be fastidious with your food prep and storage. Anything that will attract bear. Also, be aware of the condition of sites you occupy. If others have used them and done a poor job of maintenance in the past, bears will search these areas for bonus calories.

very informative reading TonyandKaren. I'm sure I'll refer back to your site a million times in the future.
Does anybody know about leash laws and rules for dogs in Canada and Alaska? My pups love a good off leash run and are good about obeying my call back. I sure don't want them eaten by a bear, are we pretty safe in open areas? My big guy loves the water almost as much as he loves snow. Are lakes and streams something we should avoid? I promise to stop asking so many questions and appreciate all the help. Kathleen

decodancer said:
I promise to stop asking so many questions and appreciate all the help.

Kathleen m'dear...

there is NO SUCH THING on this forum of asking too many questions.

You're pretty new here, but have you notcied how many folks got excited about helping you with this roadtrip idea??? We love these kinda inquiries around here!!

OK...first, you're gonna hafta realize that there will a number of pretty good size mountain ranges you'll hafta cover in order for this trip to happen...like the Rockies, (US & BC), and especially in Northern B.C. as you're coming into the Yukon....but the views are spectacular!! Nothng to be afraid of. Simply take your time and you'll be just fine.

If you don't like the idea of crossing Northern Canada and want to come across the US, then another great way to enter Canada would be to go in through Glacier National Park in Northern Montana. Glacier is breathtakingly beautiful, and once you enter Alberta Canada, you could visit Banff just North of there...which is another place one cannot pass up if given the chance to see.

As for your doggy friends, I don't see why you'd hafta treat them all that differently up there then you would at home.

if you are crossing with dogs my guess is that you will have to have all your records of shots, etc. up to date and in order, you may even need some special paper. I would check that one out before trying to get across a border with an animal. Borders are pretty black and white no grey zone.

Sooner or later, someone will mention getting a copy of MILEPOST, considered THE guide to driving the Alaska Highway. A new edition comes out every year.

If you're near a Barnes and Nobles, you can usually find a copy in the travel book section. If so, you can settle in for an hour or two with a cup of coffee or tea and really see what it's like.

I'm gonna recommend a different book, either as a supplement, or instead of:

TRAVELERS GUIDE TO ALASKAN CAMPING: ALASKA AND YUKON CAMPING WITH RV OR TENT. By Mike and Terri Church.

Don't know if B&N will carry it or not. Your local public library can probably get a copy via inter-library loan for you to check it out.

Regards
John

decodancer said:
very informative reading TonyandKaren. I'm sure I'll refer back to your site a million times in the future.
Does anybody know about leash laws and rules for dogs in Canada and Alaska? My pups love a good off leash run and are good about obeying my call back. I sure don't want them eaten by a bear, are we pretty safe in open areas? My big guy loves the water almost as much as he loves snow. Are lakes and streams something we should avoid? I promise to stop asking so many questions and appreciate all the help. Kathleen

Have you had your pups micro-chipped? I'm not sure what it costs, but it might be the difference as to whether or not you get your dog back from Her Majesty's Royal Canadian Dog Catchers.

Your vet can tell you more about it.

Regards
John

I caught this youtube video a while back -- very informative.
The guy filming the trip had to be in Seward at a specific date, and so called official channels to know what was required. He had to declare his firearms and had to have the print-out or legal form on his person. He really does give some good details of their trip... something about credit cards... etc.

It's a long trip. You can take the ferry one of the ways... to Homer or Whittier... and drive a circle back to Wash. State. Alaska State runs these ferries... like a glorified bus trip, I'm thinking... but with views of the coast, which is just as beautiful as the mountains.

I used to live there. My husband said, "never leave town without a gun" -- because if you have car problems, there are bear, and there are pirates. And you are on your own. But... most of the people are wonderful... and live by the idea that we are in this together... and understand what surviving really requires... people helping each other. But... nobody messes with you... maybe cuz everyone has a knife on them. Yep... loved Alaska.

One thing my "ex" husband did when we got up there (in the 1980's) was to pay a trapper to teach him how to live in the bush... what plants to eat... how to pan gold... how to keep warm... The bush... is just that... bush... jungle. There are state camping areas... where wildlife roam freely... and could be these are free areas. Heck... park anywhere and you have a view. There are people who have homesteads who have to park along the roads and tote in everything, so... parking along the roads wouldn't be unusual.