Trillium Lake Airstrip boondocking location

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matildas mate

Reaction score
Near Government Camp, Oregon there is a boondocking site that was recommended to me by other nomads. 

The location is on Campendium and  freecampsites.net

Trillium Lake Airstrip
https://www.campendium.com/trillium-lake-airstrip

Summit Meadows Airstrip https://freecampsites.net/#!7292&query=sitedetails

My plans are to camp there for two weeks (September 2-16) and would enjoy the company of other HOWA nomads.

After that I will be camping near Sisters, Oregon.

I am currently at the Caravan 5W location at Riffe Lake.

I'm not in the area, but I've camped around Sisters. There are several FS roads going south from Sisters, where you should be able to boondock on the side roads. I mostly stayed in CGs when I was there. You can get showers in the city park in Sisters on S. Elm St.

Over near Smith Rocks, I liked Skull Hollow CG quite a bit: 44.396, -121.064

From freecampsites.net:
"...Has a reputation for trash, noise, and not following the rules. Frequently more crowded than the nearby campgrounds."

From Campendium:
"There were 2 oversized - overstuffed trash bags that had been left behind by the previous campers. They had been torn open by critters and some of the trash was strewn around the site. ...Judging from what was in those trash bags, I’m not sure I’d want to be there on the weekend with the partiers though."

I've not been at that CG, but this gal has a pretty good review vectoring off the freecampsites page. 

As it is only an hour from Portland in the direction most weekenders will likely go, you would expect trash and overcrowding problems. I'm sure it is just like being within an hour of most big cities. City folk drive a little way into the country on weekends, drink themselves silly, and act like terminal morons.

For that matter, if you're ever down on Hwys 26 and 97 between Hood and Bend on a weekend, the traffic there is just horrific. Portland itself is quite the zoo for loners to go through. Bizarre freeways, due to the land and river formations. Backed up traffic. OTOH, you can do some nice hiking up on Mt Hood, and the lodge is beautiful.

Thought I'd mention one more thing. The traffic through downtown Sisters is also horrific. There is a constant stream of cars, RVs, and endless tractor-trailers right down the main street of town. Hwy 20 over the cascades is the second major route to and from Portland.

Why the town of Sisters lives with this situation boggles the mind. There is a bypass route through the city streets just north of downtown, but it's so poorly engineered no one takes it.

Latest posts