Travelling with Service Dog

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrJean

Reaction score
Here I am almost to the RTR, though 2 days late already, and had to stay at a hotel because the terrain and rest areas are not conducive to good sleep.   So I pulled up to the Comfort Suites and with my dog in harness and with tags, the woman at the counter calls out Do you have a reservation?  I looked up, shocked...yes she was looking at me... No. I said.  She half yells
"We don't accept pets."   I calmly stated, he isn't a pet, he's a service dog. (I've been through this before but I was really tired (still am as I write this tonight.)  As I get to the desk she says, "we don't accept pets."  I said, " he isn't a pet, he's a service dog, but I realize you get a lot of people saying that..."

She says I should go to Sleepy something ? and picks up the phone, "I'll call them for you."   Then she says on the phone, hey do you have any room for pets? No?" and hangs up. I say a little louder, he isn't a pet, he's a service dog, do we need to call the police?"   So she hurumphs and says "well what tasks does he do?"   I quoted the allowed ADA rule (you may ask Is he a service dog, and what 3 things does he do for you that you cannot do for yourself."  Then I gave her 3 things. 

She asks for ID, changes my address for billing, and then states (of all weirdness) " the regular room rate is $94 and with a handicapped room and the AAA 10% discount the room is $107 a night."  I stated that it's illegal to charge more for a " handicapped room."  She says the rate is $107 do you want the room?    So I remarked that corporate needs to be informed and she flipped out a card with the proprietor's name and slapped it down in front of me.   Then the paperwork to sign to pay has highlighted for me how they will charge $107 for pet cleaning the room.  I did not initial that but wrote SERVICE DOG across the line.  Signed for the $107 a night.

I may be tired and confused but I emailed the proprietor the above.   The attitude was bad to begin with...it could be if she'd been nicer she could explain the charges..it might be right with tax????  IDK.  Hopefully the owner is nice.

ANYWAY  I'm almost to RTR!   Cannot believe it's taken me this long of a drive but alas I'm older and wiser too :D

docJean

Good for you to sticking to your guns! Make sure you get them to correct the charges and also state that the woman needs to be trained in the proper procedures for registering rooms when a service dog team is involved.

A casual mention of the potential affects from violating the Americans with disabilities act might light a little fire under the owner/corporation also (and the hotel corporation the owner of this particular franchise should also be notified imo)

Like everything there can be two sides to the story. So many people now are getting any dog with no training and calling them a service dog when they really aren't. I ran into one just the other day who laughingly told me their little chihuahua in the shopping cart was made a service dog by sending a picture of their dog to some company online with a bit of money and lo and behold the dog is a service dog.

I think more and more people are abusing this and it makes things tough for those who really have the need.

There is also the problem of people being allergic to dogs and having to stay in a room unknowingly that was previously occupied by a dog. I don't think I'd mind paying a small cleaning fee if necessary.

I have looked off and on for several years online at organizations that train service dogs and keep thinking about getting one myself. I have been encouraged to do so by my Doctors but just don't know if I can do everything I need to to care for one anymore. Would you mind giving me an it more info and what made you reach the decision to have a service dog and what organization you purchased yours from? It's a big decision for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For people who DO have a legitimate service dog, here is a page that describes how to tell the difference between a real service dog and a fake (even one with a purchased ID). Perhaps printing it out and giving a copy to one of the counter cretins would help future victims. One of the things it lists is the source of many of the fake service dog ID sources. IOW, leave a little trail of information in your path, even if it's just for the next person. http://servicedogcentral.org/content/fake-service-dog-credentials

Oh I did share how I know she must be inundated with people claiming their petsvare svc dogs...

That you can pay for an offficial ID is a problem. Even people with legit dogs are taken by those companies!

I try to educate as I go, as most deaf people have to write to "argue"...

as for those with allergies, the ADA explicitly covers how that is not the handicapped person's responsibility ( there are vallergy treatments)?!

The hotel rooms should all always be cleaned regardless, but you cannot charge a handicapped person for the cleaning.

The corp email bounced btw. will follow up once back home.
I cannot tell if I shared the rest of the story? At the desk after checking in and sharing the tasks ( one of which is alerting me to high tones) My dog tried to greet someone and my attention was on him. But then he turned to look at the man chatting up the clerk and "woof"d and I scolded him. He began to alert again...As I turned to apologize to the man I tealized he was whistling. The eye contact between he and the clerk made it obvious to me they were verifyjng his task/ service dog status and smirking. I said Oh you're whistling?

I didn't lecture them on working to reverse the dog's training because I scolded him for a task he is trained to do.

I am at RTR and glad all are on leashes! Poor pup is sick as a dog... tho better today and eating and drinking some. I cannot and will not go to any seminars with nor without him like this. ?

On my return I will need to stay in hotels if the stress of boondocking all the way is too much. It may be too much for Me and he is also stressing?

DrJean said:
Here I am almost to the RTR, though 2 days late already, and had to stay at a hotel because the terrain and rest areas are not conducive to good sleep.   So I pulled up to the Comfort Suites and with my dog in harness and with tags, the woman at the counter calls out Do you have a reservation?  I looked up, shocked...yes she was looking at me... No. I said.  She half yells
"We don't accept pets."   I calmly stated, he isn't a pet, he's a service dog. (I've been through this before but I was really tired (still am as I write this tonight.)  As I get to the desk she says, "we don't accept pets."  I said, " he isn't a pet, he's a service dog, but I realize you get a lot of people saying that..."

She says I should go to Sleepy something ? and picks up the phone, "I'll call them for you."   Then she says on the phone, hey do you have any room for pets? No?" and hangs up. I say a little louder, he isn't a pet, he's a service dog, do we need to call the police?"   So she hurumphs and says "well what tasks does he do?"   I quoted the allowed ADA rule (you may ask Is he a service dog, and what 3 things does he do for you that you cannot do for yourself."  Then I gave her 3 things. 

She asks for ID, changes my address for billing, and then states (of all weirdness) " the regular room rate is $94 and with a handicapped room and the AAA 10% discount the room is $107 a night."  I stated that it's illegal to charge more for a " handicapped room."  She says the rate is $107 do you want the room?    So I remarked that corporate needs to be informed and she flipped out a card with the proprietor's name and slapped it down in front of me.   Then the paperwork to sign to pay has highlighted for me how they will charge $107 for pet cleaning the room.  I did not initial that but wrote SERVICE DOG across the line.  Signed for the $107 a night.

I may be tired and confused but I emailed the proprietor the above.   The attitude was bad to begin with...it could be if she'd been nicer she could explain the charges..it might be right with tax????  IDK.  Hopefully the owner is nice.

ANYWAY  I'm almost to RTR!   Cannot believe it's taken me this long of a drive but alas I'm older and wiser too :D

docJean
My little Bean is a medical alert dog. People never think she is because she's only 12/13 lbs.  Doesn't take size to nudge me with her nose if I need something.  She did this for me before I became worse, and really takes her job serious!

I know this thread is a bit old, but I wanted to add some information regarding service dogs…

There is a huge issue with misinformation/lack of information regarding service dogs. So much of the information that you find online is inaccurate.  As DrJean experienced,  many business owners are either misinformed or have no idea regarding their responsibilities and the rights of service dogs and their owners.  

For people with disabilities who have service dogs, for accurate information go straight to the ADA site(Americans with Disabilities Act), and to your state's website(where many states have service dog specific brochures/information).  

The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) defines a service animal as any dog that is individually trained to do work or perform tasks for the benefit of an individual with a disability, including a physical, sensory, psychiatric, intellectual, or other mental disability. Dogs that satisfy this definition are considered service animals under the ADA regardless of whether they have been licensed or certifed by a state or local government, or any other entity. 

For more ADA information regarding service dogs...
https://adata.org/publication/service-animals-booklet

Most states also have specific laws regarding service dogs, based on the ADA law. For example, I live in New York State and the following are two of the Attorney General of New York State's current brochures regarding service dogs...
https://ag.ny.gov/sites/default/files/pdfs/publications/service_animals_brochure.pdf
And...
https://ag.ny.gov/sites/default/files/pdfs/publications/Service%20Animals_FAQS.pdf

The issue most business owners have with service animals is that all too often a person has a dog that is really just a pet...and just by claiming it is a service dog the business owner has to take on the risk and costs associated.

For example...many people have allergies to pet dander. Cleaning requires much more than just vacuum..in fact, vacuuming causes dander to rise into the air making it worse not better... professional cleaning is what is required. So, business owner now has to lose the business of allergy suffers (nothing loses a customer faster than seeing them run out of your establishment with red, running eyes and swelling throat) or pay for professional cleaning after a dog has been there.

I have no problem with dealing with the real service dog aftermath. But...I honestly think most dogs are not service animals. In the case of rental property...just claiming the dog is a service animal is all that is required. Usually..the place is posted "no pets". New tenant never mentioned a service animal. Suddenly a dog (or in one case an iguana!) is in the unit. No license, no certificate, no doctors perscription, nothing. Just the claim. The damage done by a dog is almost always far in excess of any money the landlord can ever recover. Sure, you can sue and win...but, from experience: That money is never collected. (Damage from iguana is really huge...they carry salmonella... complete disinfection of every surface required... think Service Pro costs)

Basically, people just claiming their pet is a service animal is giving the people who really need them a very bad rep.

I do not know a solution...but seems to me that the person should at least have a doctor prescription to prove the need. I can understand that having to get an animal that has some special training or certification could be too expensive.

Upon thinking about this... what would happen in this situation?

Every rental property insurance explicitly forbids "aggressive breeds" such as pit bulls. The presence of such an animal voids the liability section of the policy.

So..tenant moves in... pit bull comes in...a service animal. Now..the landlord is truly stuck.
The risk is fantastically high.

Get sued for an attack, get sued for violating the service animal law. Great choice.

VanKitten said:
I do not know a solution...but seems to me that the person should at least have a doctor prescription to prove the need.   I can understand that having to get an animal that has some special training or certification could be too expensive.

First, I'm fairly certain someone could find a doctor somewhere willing to write any need "prescription" they wanted.  Second, I was told (possibly because 4 out of 5 times I can awkwardly handle episodes by myself) that finding, raising, and training  a service dog for me costs in excess  of $30,000 (which is why one of my pet peeves is people that think dogs are public property).

I do understand how expensive a true service animal is.

To get a physician prescription...basically the person would have to be in the care of a physician. I do not know any docs that will just write one for a stranger that walks into their office.

Well, anyway....I feel that pet owners are using this law, and in the process are hurting the rep of true service animal owners

VanKitten said:
I do understand how expensive a true service animal is.    

Yes and no. A service animal can cost nothing but the price required to free it from your local pound.

The astronomical costs associated with "purchasing" a service dog are unattainable for most disabled people who are forced to live on a pittance. This is one of the reasons why you are allowed the opportunity to train it yourself, and no certificate is required. And it IS A SERVICE DOG. This way all disabled people have the opportunity to have a service dog. The government was actually thinking clearly when they designed these regulations.

Start regulating the crap out of it and only rich, disabled people will be able to afford one.

These regulations are in place to protect disabled people - not landlords. Landlords that don't like it, have the opportunity to sell their property and find other ways to make extra income. An opportunity the disabled person does not have!

I must say that you guys have shared really cool stuff here. I like this a lot and will like to share with my uncle who also likes to travel with his pet always. So just keep sharing like this more with us.

VanKitten said:
Every rental property insurance explicitly forbids "aggressive breeds" such as pit bulls.  The presence of such an animal voids the liability section of the policy.

The ADA states that businesses(which does cover insurance companies as far as they cannot discriminate if the dog is an actual service animal) cannot discriminate against breeds.  If a person was to misrepresent their pet as a service dog and the situation you described occurred the dog owner can be sued for fraud and a judgement against them for all costs including legal fees.

https://www.ada.gov/regs2010/service_animal_qa.html

BREEDS
Q22. Can service animals be any breed of dog?
A. Yes.  The ADA does not restrict the type of dog breeds that can be service animals.
Q23. Can individuals with disabilities be refused access to a facility based solely on the breed of their service animal?
A. No.  A service animal may not be excluded based on assumptions or stereotypes about the animal's breed or how the animal might behave.  However, if a particular service animal behaves in a way that poses a direct threat to the health or safety of others, has a history of such behavior, or is not under the control of the handler, that animal may be excluded.  If an animal is excluded for such reasons, staff must still offer their goods or services to the person without the animal present.
Q24. If a municipality has an ordinance that bans certain dog breeds, does the ban apply to service animals?
A. No.  Municipalities that prohibit specific breeds of dogs must make an exception for a service animal of a prohibited breed, unless the dog poses a direct threat to the health or safety of others.  Under the “direct threat” provisions of the ADA, local jurisdictions need to determine, on a case-by-case basis, whether a particular service animal can be excluded based on that particular animal’s actual behavior or history, but they may not exclude a service animal because of fears or generalizations about how an animal or breed might behave.  It is important to note that breed restrictions differ significantly from jurisdiction to jurisdiction.  In fact, some jurisdictions have no breed restrictions.

The "fun" part of this is if the dog is an actual service animal. If it is it would most likely not act in this way. However, it is still a dog and we don't know what would trigger a misbehavior.

And as far as DRJeans original post:

Q11. Can hotels assign designated rooms for guests with service animals, out of consideration for other guests?
A. No. A guest with a disability who uses a service animal must be provided the same opportunity to reserve any available room at the hotel as other guests without disabilities. They may not be restricted to "pet-friendly" rooms.
Q12. Can hotels charge a cleaning fee for guests who have service animals?
No. Hotels are not permitted to charge guests for cleaning the hair or dander shed by a service animal. However, if a guest's service animal causes damages to a guest room, a hotel is permitted to charge the same fee for damages as charged to other guests.

I'm new here and travel with my service dog. I trained her myself. I use a wheelchair, so my disability is visible and people don't generally question me. I rarely have problems with hotels, but I did have a problem recently and it was at the same chain where you stayed. Comfort Inn. The hotel staff kept demanding to see certification, which is not required by law, hence I don't have any. In fact it's more common for fake service dogs to have because they will buy one from a fake registry to make themselves look more legitimate. The hotel manager was extremely hostile and refused to look up the ADA website to see that her information was wrong.

After I got back home, I sent an email to the corporate office and did not hear anything back. But then a few days later I was invited to take a survey and write some reviews of my stay. So I did… And within 24 hours I got a reply from the hotel owner apologizing. After a few email exchanges they agreed to retrain their staff and also refunded one of my two nights.

I suspect Comfort Inn's parent company is either not providing service dog information to franchises, or providing inaccurate information. I never have problems with IHG (Holiday Inn etc.) -- try them next time. Sorry this happened to you!

Many of the little chains of motels (and everything else) are being bought up by the large chains. They don't really care about the operation as long as they keep the money coming in. Between the ignorance of big business and the ignorance of the common American, it's an uphill battle.

Latest posts