Traveling with pets into Mexico, Canada

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evenkeel

Reaction score
Hello, I'm preparing for a lot of rv-ing after I retire in January, maybe even full timing. In addition to traveling through the western US, I'd like to be able to travel into Mexico and Canada, but I have a dog and 2 finches. I've tried to find info online about what is needed to pass over the border with pets, but didn't find anything that really spelled it out for me. I'd really love to hear from anyone who has personal experience in this instance, and any recommendations/preparations I should take into account. Thank you very much.

evenkeel said:
Hello, I'm preparing for a lot of rv-ing after I retire in January, maybe even full timing. In addition to traveling through the western US, I'd like to be able to travel into Mexico and Canada, but I have a dog and 2 finches. I've tried to find info online about what is needed to pass over the border with pets, but didn't find anything that really spelled it out for me. I'd really love to hear from anyone who has personal experience in this instance, and any recommendations/preparations I should take into account. Thank you very much.

I was researching going to Canada for next year as I have to go through it on my way to Alaska. What I found was that you need proof of current vaccinations for the dogs, all of them including rabies, a health certificate from the vet, and from my understanding dog food has to be in it's original bag...I think it is okay to have been opened. The same information would be required coming back.

I can't help as far as the birds go but I suspect you may not be able to cross the borders with bird seed/food due to contamination issues...I worked in a seed processing plant and we had to jump through some serious hoops to ship seed across borders, both north and south.

DuneElliot said:
I was researching going to Canada for next year as I have to go through it on my way to Alaska. What I found was that you need proof of current vaccinations for the dogs, all of them including rabies, a health certificate from the vet, and from my understanding dog food has to be in it's original bag...I think it is okay to have been opened. The same information would be required coming back.

To take my cats into Canada all I needed was a rabies certificate and I got them their shots a couple days before I crossed the border.  Border guards were unconcerned about the food.

jester said:
To take my cats into Canada all I needed was a rabies certificate and I got them their shots a couple days before I crossed the border.  Border guards were unconcerned about the food.

Good to know too. I was just going on my research and what I'd read...no actual experience in crossing the border.

My dogs are up to date on vaccines although I don't do them every year, just when the rabies vaccine is due (we over-vaccinate our animals).

Thank you very much to everyone who replied! I appreciate all your in put.

Here's your info on the birds:

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/animals...pets/birds-us/eng/1326661204161/1326661329675

Not sure if the finches are  considered 'pet birds' or  not, maybe best to call BCSA directly and ask. I've always found them to be helpful when presented with a question.

And here's the rules for the dog.

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/animals...als/pets/dogs/eng/1331876172009/1331876307796

Here's the specific rules for dog food

Personal Imports
Travellers may bring into Canada a personal import of pet food (limit of 20 kg), if the import meets all of the following requirements:
  • The pet food or product must be of United States origin and be commercially packaged.
  • The pet food or product must be in the possession of the traveller at the time of entry from the U.S.
  • The animal that will eat the imported product must accompany the traveller at the time of entry.
  • The imported product is fed only to the animal that accompanied the traveller into Canada.

I believe the health certificates are only good for 30 days.

In 2012, I did the Alaska thing.  Here is what was required for dogs.

Canada required only current rabies certificate.

Alaska required a health certificate, less than 30 days old, signed by a USDA certified vet.  (ASK!  Not all vets are USDA certified.) and yes, when I entered Alaska, they asked to see all those documents.

Every US state has its own state vet.  Each state may have different rules.  So when you return, you need to be in compliance with whichever state's rules in which you enter (from Canada). Plan in advance.  Washington state required only the rabies certificate.  If you have questions, call that state's vet.  And talk to the actual vet!  The first time I called the Alaska state vet's office, I was given wrong info.  I was told my state vet had to sign the health certificate also.  I went to my state vet's office, he refused to sign, said he didn't need to.  From there, I called the Alaska vet and he agreed.

Don't know about birds.  Do not trust what you read online, even my info here is from 2012 and may have changed.  Call the state vet!  The CDC controls all of this in the US and even they couldn't answer my questions.

Best wishes!

Thank you so much! I'm going to 'dig into' all these great resources.

TrainChaser said:

My vet just told me this too during our visit about two weeks ago.

Took my two Aussies to Canada thispast May. Had all health certs, rabies.etc. Also had the unopened bag of food. And somebody anecdotally told me to include certificate of ownership since they were purebred (something to do with illegal dog sales)
Got to border crossing and they only looked at my passport and waved me through. Maybe it was a busy day.
Same returning to the states.
Next time I will still bring all the stuff - don't want to risk not getting waved through.

So can anyone speak to the Mexico side of the original question? I've read above ut some who seem to head to Baja and south in winter...do you take your dogs/ cats/ whatever's?

:idea: I suppose you must also take into consideration the requirements for getting back into USA. The first rabies vaccination has to be given more than a month before entry.
So if you acquire a puppy on your travels. He can't be vaccinated until 3 months old and therefore can't travel from Canada to USA until 4 months old. Though its possible he can travel without vaccination before he is 3 months. I am also interested to know the answer to the Mexico part of the question here.
evenkeel said:

i cannot comment on mexico but i cross the Canadian border frequently in a semi truck with my dog. you must carry proof of current vaccinations. also food must be in manufactures packaging, it can be opened. there is also a weight limit on the amount of food you can carry. when i am hauling cross border loads i just carry a 5 lb bag of dog food. (original packaging does not need to be sealed). out of probably 300 times iv crossed the border with my dog, i think i have been asked to show them the dog food twice, they have probably asked if his vaccinations are up to date 150 times and asked to actually show the vaccinations 10-15 times. carry them in a easy to access place so you can grab them quickly if you are asked, i keep them in a hard sided enclosed clip board with my other travel documents and other documents for the cargo ect. that i may need at the border.

they may ask you different questions about your dog. but as long as you are returning back to your home country with your dog and your vaccinations are current and you keep the food in the manufactured packaging under the limit on the amount of dog food your allowed to bring across the border there is nothing to be worried about

generally as long as your dog is groomed looks happy and healthy there going to be more interested in checking your eligibility to cross the border than your dogs.

make sure you have a leash as well. and readily accessible when you pull up to the border. if they want to search your vehicle they will want you to leash your dog and walk him/her far enough away that they don't have to worry about your dog while they do there job.

there are also limits on food for your own consumption you can cross the border with. certain fruits and vegetables may be forbidden to cross the border, meat products need to be declared as well as any alcohol and tobacco and limits on those items. citrus fruits including tomato's are a big no-no.

if it is your first time crossing the border be prepared for a more thorough investigation/interrogation. where your going what your travel plans are when you planning to return. when if ever you have crossed the border. you may be brought inside and have a full background check run (they will see everything) they may question you about anything they find even something as minor as a seat belt ticket.

but really 99% of the time crossing the us/Canadian border is pretty quick and painless.

We are frequent Baja travelers. I used to get the health certificates for my dogs, I don't any more. Not once have I been asked for it going either direction. I ALWAYS tell the border check point people (as well as Mexican Army check points) that I have two dogs in the truck with me so they don't open a door and get surprised.

I swear my dogs get me through the Mexican Army check points easier, one of my dogs is a 13 year old Boxer, the other is a 3 year old Boston Terrier/Blue Heeler mix. The Boxer could care less about what's going on, he just wants to get back to his nap, the Boston mix is pretty sure she is supposed to bark at EVERYTHING.

Be aware that some species of birds are prohibited in some states.
Java finches, for example, are verboten in California and many other states over fears of escapees and crop damage.

TrainChaser said:

I'm from Canada and cross at least 3 times a year into the states, and all they need me to show is the rabies certificate that the vet provides. Also on that certificate the vet will list all the vacinations the dog has had, and its good for as long as the rabies it good for, which will be listed on it, mine says he's good for 3 yrs.