Traveling with a Pop up camper and Nissan Xterra

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riley_Vanner

Reaction score
Hey y'all! 

I bought a Philly Pop up camper back in April of last year with intentions of Camping and Alternate Living quarters for Isolation due to Covid (I'm a healthcare worker). the only things left I have to do is get My tow package for my Xterra and Replace the Canvas. Ive been searching on youtube to see the pros and Cons of traveling with a Pop up camper and I havent really found much in terms of Durability. Camping would mostly be Off grid with self sufficient electrical sources. 

I do live in new england, so in terms of Dispersed camping in places like arizona- it would be a little far but I'm sure eventually Id like to venture out that way!

Any advice would be helpful 
 TIA  :sleepy:

I had a pop up camper for 9-10 years. Just camping, didn't live in it. Mine was light and easy to tow. I really don't think it impacted my mileage very much at all. Despite the small size of my trailer (8' box), it felt roomy since it is so wide open. I believe registration was $10 in CA.

The downsides include packing for a trip (hard to get into cabinets w/o popping up and breaking down camp (making sure canvas was tucked in). Once at camp, setting up would only be 20 minutes or so. Breaking camp felt like an hour or more. Mine had a 10 gallon water tank and no grey tank (sink drained into bucket). I camped in the 30's (night). With the furnace on, it was warm. Good luck!

There are some good sources for canvas on Teardrops and Tiny Trailers, TNTTT.com in the fomies forum. You can also find some builds that use a tent camper as a base to build a hard sided camper that may be more durable.

Riley_Vanner , I think the reason most folks do not fulltime in a popup is for the security of having 4 hard walls around them. Having said that if you go to Popup Explorer . com you will find all kinds of info on popup camping and I think they have a fulltimers section, I used to watch a gentleman and his wife who fulltimed in a starcraft popup, I think they moved to a truck camper however , but check it out . Just some info to look at.

You dont want that setup if you are doing daily commuting to a local job while living in it. Ypu need better physical security than canvas walls can provide if you go off and leave it unoccupied on a daily work schedule.noisrx will be louder, the wind can cause damage. The rain that can lead to mold and mildew that will take up residence in the fabric can cause you a lot more health issues when living in a canvas structure.

Go and buy yourself a small fiberglass travel trailer, preferably with a shower in it. Your car is rated to tow many of that type. The maintanence chores on them is much easier than a popup tent camper..

Several National Parks and some other areas have restrictions on soft sided campers and only allow hard sided campers are allowed. However in '96 I took a tent trailer to Alaska there were restrictions in some places but it was not difficult to work around them.

The bigger question is can the Xterra handle the towing. they are not the most robust vehicle and are very expensive to repair. What's the max weight rating and the maximum tow rating?

highdesertranger

The xterra is rated to tow 5,000lbs. No problem finding a small trailer under that weight range and still have room in the weight limit for a basic set of travel gear, food clothes etc.

Latest posts