Traveling with a long gun: legal everywhere?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I live in Mass the land of ridiculous gun legislation. Having had guns all my life i've always just played along with the system because that was the only way to own them. I'm now in the process of moving to Maine and looked up the gun laws. Well, there basically isn't any. Anyone 21 or older resident or non resident can carry concealed if you are not federally prohibited from owning a firearm. What!? It's my understanding that NH and Vermont both bordering states are the same.

So if anyone wants to visit the East Coast, I'd travel those three Northern States. Plus they are a really nice and I think often overlooked part of the country for the bigger states out West.

And if anyone wants to travel to Mass, i've heard it's pretty easy to get a non resident license to carry through the mail..through the state police. Oddly enough most cops in Mass are pretty pro gun friendly, not sure how the state is so anti gun politically. I know several officers in Mass leading the charge to loosen up the gun regs here.

My end goal is to be able to get whatever licenses I need to carry in as many states as I can. I have the Utah non resident which seems to take care of a huge chunk of them. I'll be applying for my Mass out of State as soon as I transfer my residency to Maine. Unfortunately, I'll always have ties to Mass, having 35 years worth of friends and family here. Uggh, why can't they all just move!?

I'm still not taking about shotguns, pump guns, semi autos, or self defense weapons. I'm talking about a bolt gun for target shooting.

Specifically I'd like a CZ-550 FS in 6.5x55mm with an aperture sight..... that's a real bolt gun, to me.

ERLH: "So if anyone wants to visit the East Coast, I'd travel those three Northern States [ME, VT, NH]"

I've been there, and they are nice, esp in the fall.

"... having 35 years worth of friends and family here. Uggh, why can't they all just move!?"

Well, it looks like you've got a job to do -- convince them!

Fall is the thing that comes before winter, which is the thing that comes before mud season. I've lived in New England since I was born and I've never cared for foliage. I do however enjoy Vermont's gun laws.

I have a license to carry in NH. That's as an out of state resident but I believe the state requires a license to carry.

wayne49 said:
Unfortunately, to get to ME, VT, NH on the road, one has to travel through NY, Mass, or Canada.

Re: Utah non-resident CCW. A few states recognize UT CCW only for UT residents.

http://www.youcancarry.com/utah-ccw-reciprocity/

The states in yellow on the map are UT residents only. NH being one.

This map is for open carry:

http://www.opencarry.org/maps/map-open-carry-of-a-properly-holstered-loaded-handgun/

Makes me want to become a resident of Utah.  Maine changed their law last year..........any person 21 or older....both resident and non resident can carry concealed with out a permit so long as they aren't federally prohibited from owning a firearm.  However, you're right, gotta get through the more strict states to get there.

again TMG wanted to know about a bolt action long gun. not a pistol. highdesertranger

The Great State of California does not allow a rifle chambered for the .50 BMG round, even for use in competition. Other variants of a .50 are allowed.

If you are thinking of bringing a gun to Canada...the easy answer is just don't!

Seriously though, you can bring most simple long guns but there is paperwork & fees out the wazoo. It's recommended if you are going through to Alaska that it's simpler to crate & ship them than the bs at the border.

If you have any kind of criminal record...even if its jaywalking if its on your record you can not bring a firearm to Canada...period!

Everything you have heard about our restrictive gun laws is tenfold at the border.

Optimistic Paranoid said:
And yet many thousands of American hunters book hunts in Canada every year.

Anyway, if you feel the need to have protection from dangerous wildlife in Alaska, why wouldn't you also feel the need for such protection in the Yukon?

http://www.firearmstraining.ca/american.html

Book hunts are the magic words there, part of that package is helping you with the paperwork. You can bring them but get all the right forms & pay all the fees and present yourself to a border authority, oh...make a copy of the forms because the border won't give you a copy but don't sign them, you have to do that in person in front of a border authority.

If you bring the wrong weapon to our doors you won't get it back & if you are caught with one you don't claim at the border you most likely will never be allowed into Canada again, it up to each officer but they are known to toe this line hard. Get caught in Canada with an unpermitted gun...after you serve your time & pay your fines then you can never come back.

My late husband worked for Canada Customs for 35 years...reading his papers was a hobby...I like to read. I did if course fact check this today.

As for the Yukon, its like everywhere else in Canada... rural people have guns, generally just a shotgun if they don't hunt. Yup, there is bears in all of them there woods to be sure! We never kill them without a lisence, call a ranger, the paperwork....

But why take my word for it . Bob, if you have a minute. When you go to Alaska do you take your guns & what's that like crossing into Canada if you do??

Hippiechk said:
If you are thinking of bringing a gun to Canada...the easy answer is just don't!

Seriously though, you can bring most simple long guns but there is paperwork & fees out the wazoo. It's recommended if you are going through to Alaska that it's simpler to crate & ship them than the bs at the border.

If you have any kind of criminal record...even if its jaywalking if its on your record you can not bring a firearm to Canada...period!

Everything you have heard about our restrictive gun laws is tenfold at the border.

I actually found getting my long guns into Canada was very easy. The paperwork is a single page (which you can claim all your guns, not one page per gun) and other than the $25 fee (per paperwork, not per gun) and the 2 minutes it takes to get their stamp on it, it took no effort at all. I detailed my experiences, both long and handgun, here - http://www.van-tramp.com/wp/you-want-to-transport-guns-through-canada-to-alaska/

Canada actually has the 12th highest gun ownership per capita in the entire world. There are no shortage of guns there, including semi-auto rifles (although much stricter magazine limit laws). I brought a shotgun and a semi-auto into Canada... they cared more about my dog's vaccination paperwork then the guns.

I did ship my pistol to Alaska

The caveat about getting into Canada with your guns is that non Canadian Citizens are NOT allowed to have a gun in a National Park, even in your vehicle no matter how it may be stored. If you admit to wanting to see a park, they will not sign off on your guns no matter what.

I've only carried a long arm through Canada once, and my experience was exactly ike Van Tramp's--no big deal. Printed the form and filled it out In Alaska, took it into the office at the border, gave them the money and left.

But it was -40 F below zero and they were in no mood to be outside at the time.
Bob

I am glad you both found it easy to legally transport you long guns through Canada.

I did read your blog post Van Tramp...a note of general caution to others ...attempting to deceive border guards is never a good idea!

Hippiechk said:
...attempting to deceive border guards is never a good idea!

I am not sure why took that from my comment and blog post, but at least you sent me the insults and cursing via PM not publicly (I will give you that).

In my blog post I outright say, "choose your words carefully when answering this question or leave the National Parks for another trip". In my case I was asked "where are you traveling too?" and I answered truthfully and honestly, "Alaska". I offered no more information then the exact truth and advise the same for everyone else. I did not advise anyone to deceive the border agents.

... and at the end of the post I say "after you honestly answer their questions". Even in America it is a crime to lie to Federal Agents. I have never advised ANYONE to commit such a crime.

Latest posts