Traveling with a long gun: legal everywhere?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TMG51

Reaction score
I know this is a topic which has been discussed in one capacity or another but I wanted to ask a specific question here.

I'm a gun guy. I've never traveled with any guns because I don't want to accidentally break a handgun law in a different state or whatever. But I sometimes would like to have something on the road to satisfy my target shooting hobby. A bolt action rifle and ball ammo seems least likely to conflict with any gun laws, to my mind.

Is there anywhere in the continental US where a long gun in a vehicle, unloaded and stored separate from the ammunition would be breaking any laws?

probably new york, california, maryland, illinois, but I'm guessing, based on those state's general stances on firearms ownership
texas extends 'castle doctrine' to your vehicle, you can carry loaded in the car

TMG, I too have a case or so of Eley that on occasion I'd enjoy punching some paper holes when traveling but hesitate because of ever changing state gun laws across the USA.

I wouldn't transport ammo or target rifle without first visiting each states atty generals Web site and see what the latest laws are on through-state transport, by a non- resident of that state.

I know and understand my state and the surrounding states laws but still wouldn't be willing to give up my Anchutz because something changed or someone on the net said I could.

Print out and take with current copies of vehicle transport law. May just save some time and a few dollars.

Ever think about taking an air rifle? I know they aren't as fun as the ones that make a boom, but the modern high power air rifles are a lot of fun and reach the speeds and accuracy of a .22. I've actually grown quite fond of my RWS model 34. I can shoot it for a few hours and set up very challenging targets at short range to keep me from losing interest, such as lollipop sticks or those little bang snaps kids throw on the ground everywhere around the 4th of July.

I know there's a federal law that allows you to transport long guns....but I believe it's wording only covers a point A to Point B type of trip, not an open ended living in a van. I.E. You live in Texas and are going on a hunt in S. Dakota you can transport to and from and Federal law allows you to do so. But you'd want to double check that one as well to see if it would even apply to vehicle dwelling.

I long for a day when a Firearm's license is treated the same as a driver's license, but with all the media hype about guns I don't see it coming anytime soon.

Seems to me,if you are living in your trailer or something else,it would be considered your home as far as gun laws.But hell,I'm not a lawyer.I don't even play one on tv.

the gun guru needs to chime in. Van Tramp are you out there. in California you could carry it in a locked case or in your trunk. with the ammo stored separately. in the nether regions of CA it's really not a problem but it's good advice to follow the law. highdesertranger

It does depend on the long gun. Most non "assault rifle" type long guns (bolt action, lever action, single shot, etc) are 100% legal in all 50 states. Some states still ban modern semi-auto rifles, some only ban them with more than 10 round magazines. Some only ban them of they are black, or have a plastic attachment on them or have a specific name... all of this you need to research BEFORE entering each state.

Most states have laws preventing you from having a LOADED long gun in your vehicle, these are standard hunting laws to prevent people from shooting game from their vehicles. Unloaded (ammo stored seperately) is legal, but also useless for defense. If you are just looking to go from point A to point B with a hunting rifle, just unload it and store it in the trunk. You will be safe even in the worst of the anti-gun states.

Van-Tramp said:
It does depend on the long gun. Most non "assault rifle" type long guns (bolt action, lever action, single shot, etc) are 100% legal in all 50 states. Some states still ban modern semi-auto rifles, some only ban them with more than 10 round magazines. Some only ban them of they are black, or have a plastic attachment on them or have a specific name... all of this you need to research BEFORE entering each state.

Most states have laws preventing you from having a LOADED long gun in your vehicle, these are standard hunting laws to prevent people from shooting game from their vehicles. Unloaded (ammo stored seperately) is legal, but also useless for defense. If you are just looking to go from point A to point B with a hunting rifle, just unload it and store it in the trunk. You will be safe even in the worst of the anti-gun states.

This is all the same as what I'd thought. And, to be clear, I am talking about a bolt action rifle. (I own evil black rifles but wouldn't try to take them on the road.)

The assertion that the long gun would need to be locked is new to me. I thought that applied to handguns in some areas.

I'm describing more of a perpetual wander situation than an A to B situation, but I wonder how anyone could ever tell the difference. As far as I know it's legal to possess a bolt gun anywhere! Just checking for loopholes in my thinking.

yeah I was throwing in the, "in a locked case" for the CYA aspect. I think you need to travel though some anti-gun states to get back out west. highdesertranger

Locked case is best bet. Fed safe passage law only applies to direct transit through the state in question.

I know in NJ if you stop for any unnecessary amount of time with a gun in your car (even in a locked case in the trunk) and have no carry license, you are breaking the law. In NY, if the ammo is close to the gun (i.e. not locked away separately), you are considered to be in possession of a loaded firearm in violation of NY statutes.

yup, because if the ammo is near the gun it will spontaneously load itself and go on a shooting spree :rolleyes:

Here is HandgunLaw.us, updated Aug 26, 2016: http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/california.pdf
Just click on the state you want to know about.

I was looking at CA: "SHOTGUNS AND RIFLES -- Nonconcealable firearms (rifles and shotguns) are not generally covered within the provisions of California Penal Code section 25400 and therefore are not required to be transported in a locked container. However, as with any firearm, nonconcealable firearms must be unloaded while they are being transported."

I was surprised to find that NY is more paranoid than CA.

Hey TrainChaser....can you PM me the winning lotto numbers for the 26th....you must have slipped thru a wormhole and are a coupla days ahead of us. :p

On the serious side....for those who might be looking for a new long gun (not subject to 'assault' weapon regs) but still want the advantages of an AR style design, might try a company named Troy Defense.

They now make a 'Pump Action' AR style rifle and have it in several calibers.
.223, .300 Blackout, .308, 7mm-08 Rem, .243 and .338 Federal.

http://troydefense.com/pumpactionrifle/

Advertised as 50 state legal. :cool:

My personal opinion is that pump actions are not really a good choice for self defense by casual users.  Under stress - like when you are in fear for your life - people have been known to "short stroke" pump shotguns, jamming them up when they are needed most.

They can be a good choice for dedicated users, people who shoot a lot of trap or skeet, say.  With enough rounds through the gun, so called "muscle memory" develops and the danger of short stroking pretty much disappears.

johnny b said:
On the serious side....for those who might be looking for a new long gun (not subject to 'assault' weapon regs) but still want the advantages of an AR style design, might try a company named Troy Defense.
. . .
Advertised as 50 state legal.

It is just not that clear anymore:

http://www.weerdworld.com/2016/massachusetts-assault-weapons-debacle-schrodingers-gun/

That is why I'd go with a standard shotgun:  12 gauge semi-auto, 18 1/2 inch barrel, 5 shot tubular magazine, standard stock (preferably wood).  Some anti-gunners are calling any gun with one of the following an 'assault weapon': pistol grip, moveable stock, barrel shroud, removable magazine, any magazine capacity over (pick a number <0), composite stock, black color, . . . 

I agree with OP.  A pump shotgun is great if you use one a lot under stress.  If not, get one that has the fewest things you have to think about to use.  Under stress your higher mental functions shut down, you will do what you have practiced and practiced and practiced.

-- Spiff

BTW, while I agree that the right kind of "innocent" looking long gun is safe in all 50 states, I've read that Washington DC can be problematical.  Apparently, they take the position that if you stop anywhere in DC, you are no longer "just passing through" and the Federal protection no longer applies.

JohnnyB:  "Hey TrainChaser....can you PM me the winning lotto numbers for the 26th....you must have slipped thru a wormhole and are a coupla days ahead of us."

I noticed that when I was adding the link.  I looked at the time and it was 2 minutes before midnight (PDT).  I could understand that the date changed because of the time change -- probably East Coast, but even so, it was still two days off.  So I had a conundrum:  It seemed wrong to me, but if I was quoting them, I had to quote it as-is (IMO) or it's not a quote.

But I swear that it said the 26th.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it!  

And if it was a wormhole, it didn't occur to me to check the lottery numbers.  IDIOT! :blush:  :(

I'm thinking my wood stocked, 70's vintage Remington 700 Bolt Action 7mm with an internal 3 round mag is probably 50 State legal so long as I don't have a scope on it...

I'm gonna guess any 4-10, 20, or 12GA shotgun that is NOT sawed off is also pretty much OK?

Latest posts