Traveling from Colorado to Florida Keys and..

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoulRaven

Reaction score
Hi, I live in Coloradod, I have a very small Nissan Frontier with a 5ft bed and a topper. I'd like to travel to the Florida Keys and have no time limits. Unfortunately my truck is small and hard to sleep in the bed due to its size, its more comfortable to sleep in the front seat and have done stealth in California for months sleeping in streets and using my gut feeling choosing wisely spots, not Walmarts. My truck and topper has rails and thought about building a wooden storage box and possibly fit a small propane tank to run a long hose to my small propane stove and the heater. I have no kind of insulation in the back either. The back bed is mainly for cooking and storing things or parking somewhere and kickback and watch a movie, have dinner, and/or find a park to pull out the tent and cover the back for longer room and privacy. My question is the route. Has anyone gone through this route? 

My plan is to go directly to campgrounds not too far from the main HWY's/FWYs and end in Florida Keys and stay as long as I can. Then, I'd like to return back home through Alabama, Louisiana, Mississippi, and then to Arkansas or Oklahoma (whichever takes me back home faster). I'm very interested in taking the route back home through the southern states because I'm curious about the foods, blues clubs, and visiting historical museums dedicated to segregation and other historical facts regarding racism. I'm not interested in hotels as I'm on a limited income and can sleep well in my truck, and if anyone reading this has a parking spot I could stay maybe overnight that would be great. I don't use drugs of any kind, and its just me and my little dog wanting to get out, have fun, see the world, and out of this dreaded town I live in and find some cheering up, meet people with a smile. I'm considering doing this as early as December 20th-2017 and if my finances permit after paying bills.

Attachments

• Co2Florida.jpg
    Co2Florida.jpg
    249.8 KB · Views: 0