traveling for food

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
XERTYX said:
Yeah that's why I dont read the package. XD
My brother got me to read the label on potted meat as a kid and I didnt eat it for years.
Yeah i have to be careful about purine rich foods. I suppose its gout that I get in my foot from time to time. Now that I know what makes my foot sore the day before it gets inflamed I take naproxen sodium over the counter and for the next few days and I dont have to walk with a cane for a week anymore. Maybe its because I've broken that foot twice. A green limb fracture as a kid when I fell out of a tree, and later as an adult I was pissed off at my boss and kicked a rack in the back room. SNAP! I knew instantly it was broken. I didnt have insurance so I wrapped it in ace bandages and wore like 6 pair of socks on it for a few weeks. It never healed right and used to click sometimes when i walked. Rub some dirt on it and walk it off. :p

I only eat smoked oysters from a can. I tried smoked mussels from a can once and OMG. Idk if someone SHAT in that can or what, but it was enough to put me off of trying them ever again.
when you have the funds go and see a podiatrist. Lots of issues with old fractures can be fixed with surgery or even laser treatment.

It is beginning to get to where we can't even travel in our own neighborhood for food as other people won't take the time to follow the instructions posted on the doors for social distancing rules. At the ages of 70 and 77 my friend and I can't be around people who crowd us and don't wear mask.

I guess we will have to make a list of options of places to go that offer call in the order and they will bring it out to the car. It sure does make it impossible for the impulse date to go get a great sandwich or slice of pizza.

Our favorite BBQ place will do the take it to our car routine.
I am going to have to create a bookmark folder on my phone for a list of neighborhood offerings.

maki2 said:
At the ages of 70 and 77 my friend and I can't be around people who crowd us and don't wear mask.
In WA state, 90% of covid deaths are in people >60 YO. This is similar to all over the US, where the average figure is about 80% or so for people >60. Which means practically everyone visiting this forum is in the "high risk" group.

They lump 60s and 70s together here, but in many states they show the 2 groups separately.
https://www.doh.wa.gov/Emergencies/NovelCoronavirusOutbreak2020COVID19/DataDashboard

I am an introvert. I have no plans to do much socially. I can go to fields and pick my own strawberries and stay far enough away from others. And when I can't I have my masks. We won't be going out, except for my birthday dinner and that will be outside after we get some take out something. This is the normal for me. An introvert. Mom wants to do some stuff, but not this trip. We may go to some public gardens, but again keeping our distance, or wearing our masks. My son is freaking out, he is worried we might get in an accident and end up in a hospital...…....(where he knows we will get sick) Been there done that. Learned that dyeing isn't the worst thing, not living is worse. We are careful, but not willing to totally rollover and play dead. Sounds a bit grumpy, but I did die for a few minutes once, like I said dyeing doesn't scare me, but being stuck and not alive does. Not trying to anger anyone, but still just ready to get out there.... Done enough yard work for awhile.

Our little town has senior times in stores for seniors to shop. The first day they did this though they where swamped. This is highly populated area with retiree's. Some stores said masks are required.... some even have people at the door with gift masks if you forget yours.... There will always be those though who refuse to do as they should just because...
If it gets the world back to something like normal I will wear a mask.....

They have senior times in stores here too. Who the hell came up with that idea? Stuff all the most at risk together in the same place at the same time, elbow to elbow. Duh.

Starting tomorrow, it will be mandatory to wear masks in public in Orange County, FL (Orlando area) which I have been doing anyway. We are having an upsurge of Covid cases.

I am looking forward to being in the Southwest this coming winter stuffing myself with all kinds taco stand meals :) My budget is only good for "street food" style meals but I am not complaining about that.

But street food is often Verrrry good stuff.
There are at least 2 here that have the best burgers and a taco truck that is very good and a donut truck I haven't tried yet mostly because there is always a huge line...
Now that tourest season is upon us the other trucks will be coming out

OK Strawberry trip is done. Very intense flavored berries. We saw so many filbert or hazelnut orchards. Tons of blueberry farms. I guess we will be back..
Jam is made and set in pantry and ready for winter.. We will be taking it with us next trip out.

Just found something I didn't know about as far as food travels. I did not know about the salt places on the Oregon coast! Our next trip is down the West coast and while looking for things to do found a salt distiller(?) place. I understand from others that it is supposed to be a great LITTLE place that makes really good gourmet salts. They are supposed to give tours, depending on the current regulations. Silly me I thought salt was salt. Except iodine or no iodine. One person said something about the minerals found in that part of the coast.

We did the peaches a few weeks ago they were as good as ever and made great jam. Pears are in jars and next apple cider. We eat well even when traveling.

So has anyone traveled and found anything unusual and yummy lately?

What else can I find on the west coast? We plan to go from tip of WA to the tip of Calif., but somethings are coming that are seriously shortening our trip. We hope to get to San Francisco if that far.

We are definitely having at least one crab feast on this trip. And I know of a few really good chowder houses.

Mom's cooking is semi ok...Granny was really bad..... Maybe that is why I love to cook. It tastes Good. I had great neighbor who taught me how to cook right after I got hitched.
She did make me love tomato soup and grilled cheese.

Believe it or not Southern California has several apple picking orchards/farms with restaurants, shops and activities. I think one was damaged in the fires but it’s a pretty popular activity. Sorry again for lecturing but I was a teacher. California is known for a lot of things but we are primarily an agricultural state and most of our income comes from that. Drive through the Central Valley, San Joaquin to see it. We feed much of the country. Something no one guess is our principal crop is rice.
So we have dozens of food festivals all year. But right now come pick some apples.

Thanks Lerca for reviving one Of my favorite threads. I’m a foodie can’t deny it in fact if you see me you know it and lecture me about eating too much. If you ever come east you’ve got to go to The eastern shore of Maryland for blue crab ?. Either steamed or in crab cakes. We are harvesting apples now in PA also. I just love fresh apple cider but it doesn’t love me because I can’t drink more than one glass without negative results if you know what I mean. Try warming up Cider and sprinkling a little cinnamon in it - oh my. “Sear goot Essen” That’s our Pennsylvania German for “ that’s good eating.” And now is our time for pies; apple, snits (That’s dried Apple ) Green tomato,Concorde grape, lemon sponge, shoe fly, Hershey chocolate cream, mince meat...... I could go on for another page but I don’t want to bore you. When I went to high school they tried to teach me Pie are square and I said no Pie are round, cakes can be square but pie are always round. There are two sisters in our church that are famous for their pies and when they are sponsoring church meeting look out it’s time to gain some weight. One of our special breakfasts around here is shoofly pie and coffee. Guess I’ve done enough talking about eating.

I’ll close with a beautiful little poem I learned in my younger days. “I had a little tea party this afternoon at 3. 3 guests was all just I, myself, and me. I ate all the cupcakes, myself drank all the tea, ‘twas. also I who ate the pie and pass the cake to me.”

God bless the nomads and give them lots of pie.

We have our own apple trees and in a week or so will make 50 or so gallons of cider. tons of applesauce and even some apple liquor yum. but the best is the fun we have at the party with tons of friends that help.... welll'... next year, this year we'll see.
Just tripped down the Oregon coast, made crab cakes in my travel kitchen and some chicken pot pies, but only 2 days of cooking way to stormy...
Now back to the East side to dry out and find some smoked salmon... Hubby doesn't think we stink enough with wet dog and all nope gotta add some stinky smoked salmon or something.... At least it should be dry....

oh yea Tillamock cheese factory is open again also a new one to me is a new French style cheese factory... but salt processing was closed... Great places for fish and chips are open....
'