traveling for food

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vanbrat

Reaction score
So today as I read somethings about travel kitchens and how to set one up. Some one said something along the lines of if you travel you should leave Paula Dean and Martha Stewart at home. Well I have no real desire to meet either of those women, but I also have no desire to not really cook just because I am traveling. In fact the main reason lately for me to go camping in certain places is to get there when certain foods are getting ripe.  I want to be in Oregon's Willamete (SP) Valley when the strawberries and blueberries are ready to pick so I can get enough at just the right ripeness for perfect jam. Also the Yakima Valley for peaches and pears. Though my own pears are really yummy, not as yummy as those and I don't have that many trees. I can't imagine not being in the PNW when the Salmon run. Even though hubby likes them much more then me. I want to catch and cook fresh crab on the Oregon coast. I hear so much about Michigan dairy and I want to go get some. Idaho potatoes and Midwest corn and I have never had really good southern cooking I know that it is available here, but when family from the south visits they grumble about the poor quality of stuff available here. I want to go get some Texas beef, in Texas. And artichokes from Calif. had some as a kid and never eat them now because I can't stand what we get here. I want hot weather figs and cherries. Fresh Apricots from the central valley in Calif Grandma had a tree when I was a kid. 

I am practicing how to cook in my travel kitchen while here at home so we can toss (I have a few times) and still have a good dinner. I am also learning to cook smaller, not so much as to have tons of left overs, something I do now on purpose.  So no I won't have my full on kitchen but I will have a good kitchen, because why not?

Now I want to hear what you have that is really worth traveling to in your part of the world.

If ever any one is on Whidbey Island, don't miss the mussel being grown here they are to die for good.  And when the restrictions are lifted Deception Pass park is worth the crowds and the time. But I like Fort Ebby better.

Mexican food in Tucson! Green chiles in New Mexico.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Man I'm missing my Nico's chicken enchiladas with extra cheese lettuce and tomatoes right now! Cut that out Waldenbound!

I'm PA German, from Amish Country in central PAs dairy belt. Visit me and we will have "Snitz poi und smear case." In english that's dried apple pie covered in a sharp cheese spread. Local PA german food is my joy and downfall. Among many other good things we are home to the famous whoopie pie.

All that tex mex food you south westerners are talking about, now I know why there is a TP shortage.:)

bigsallysmom said:
Flour from the southeast so I can make soft biscuits.
That is one of the things the AL folk grumble about. What is the difference? and white vs yellow corn meal...I will have to go there and find out.

vanbrat said:
That is one of the things the AL folk grumble about. What is the difference? and white vs yellow corn meal...I will have to go there and find out.
The southeast grows a soft wheat flour.  Most every place else grows hard wheat flour.  Makes a biscuit that can drive nails.

bigsallysmom said:
Flour from the southeast so I can make soft biscuits.
I am a curious person who is good at finding answers to questions from the internet. So I took a look at this subject, First clue was given in the response of the person who talked about it being a different variety of wheat, so thanks for that help.

A little research turned up how to find the right wheat flour to make soft biscuits.
From the Bon Appetit discussion of what is soft wheat flour
here is the link to the article:  https://www.bonappetit.com/test-kitchen/ingredients/article/soft-wheat-flour

Here is a quote from the article that describes how to find this flour in pretty much any grocery store in any region.

"Soft wheat flour is typically packaged as cake flour or pastry flour, and is best used for cakes, cookies, and pastries that should be tender and crumbly. It can also be used in fresh pasta, and produces a tender noodle. In general, soft wheat has less protein than hard wheat, which is typically used to make flour for bread."

vanbrat said:
... In fact the main reason lately for me to go camping in certain places is to get there when certain foods are getting ripe.  I want to be in Oregon's Willamete (SP) Valley when the strawberries and blueberries are ready to pick so I can get enough at just the right ripeness for perfect jam. Also the Yakima Valley for peaches and pears...I can't imagine not being in the PNW when the Salmon run. .. I want to catch and cook fresh crab on the Oregon coast. I hear so much about Michigan dairy and I want to go get some. Idaho potatoes and Midwest corn and I have never had really good southern cooking... I want to go get some Texas beef, in Texas. And artichokes from Calif.... I want hot weather figs and cherries. Fresh Apricots from the central valley in Calif Grandma had a tree when I was a kid... 

Now I want to hear what you have that is really worth traveling to in your part of the world....

Boy there's nothing like McDonalds in West L.A.  Or everything.  One of those.

I'm surprised at your wide-ranging particular knowledge.  Most people seem to know their own areas and geography, at best.  I never thought of "hot-weather figs" until you mentioned it.  My mother grows them in our hot Southern Oregon summers.

Hard to be really into jam, I would think, without much storage space  But cheers to you for working around your limitations as best you can. Lots of food reports here are from people who pretty much reheat rather than cook.  If that's what their only choice is, then there it is.  But I do feel some who have a choice are overlooking the chance to have some really great food by cooking at "home."

Dingfelder said:
Boy there's nothing like McDonalds in West L.A.  Or everything.  One of those.

I'm surprised at your wide-ranging particular knowledge.  Most people seem to know their own areas and geography, at best.  I never thought of "hot-weather figs" until you mentioned it.  My mother grows them in our hot Southern Oregon summers.

Hard to be really into jam, I would think, without much storage space  But cheers to you for working around your limitations as best you can.

Lots of food reports here are from people who pretty much reheat rather than cook.  If that's what their only choice is, then there it is.  But I do feel some who have a choice are overlooking the chance to have some really great food by cooking at "home."
My dear hubby loves to eat at McD's, but they are only, in my mind, good for on the road days. He lost most of his since of taste in a car accident 20+ years ago. I didn't. I learned that if I am going to die crashing into a tree I am going to do it happy, with a tummy full of chocolate. (San Francisco?)

Some folks grow figs here in the Puget sound, but they are not the same as the ones in the Central Valley in Calif, the same with peaches in Eastern WA. If anyone is in Moss Landing Or Gilroy at harvest time GET some Artichokes. 

I have traveled some around the country, but not in a van with a kitchen. The strawberries I am making jam with is just 5-6 hours from my house. So I will be bringing them home and storing the jam in my pantry. I know I won't be doing that with something from Florida, but still I want to at least taste the goodies.

I bought 15 pounds of fresh filbert nuts last fall on a short trip through Oregon. My mom and dad spent the next 3 weeks cracking nuts and just eating them. Yes, fresh filberts are THAT good. If you are driving through Oregon next Oct get some! The Farmers will gladly tell you which variety is best for fresh eating. 

I'm hoping to find the goodies in all 50 states and all though Canada. Which is best small syrup makers or the big guys kind of thing? My son says we need to eat gater steaks in New Orleans and my oldest has a BBQ place in Texas he thinks is great. I'm not a big BBQ fan, but maybe this place will change my mind.

The green chilis in New Mexico sound fun, but I will get hubby some McD's. Can I go pick some at a U- pick farm? If they are dried, maybe they can make it home safely. I would make my neighbor and cooking friend soooooo jealous. Maybe I would need to bring 2 packages....

Yep, I always bring homemade jam with us when we travel. Also home made spiced pear vodka and applesauce and cookies when we travel. Now I need to find that good flour...

The weather always trumps food for deciding on travel. But as I like charcoal grilled foods and Mexican styled foods I enjoy them when in the southwest. The rest of the time I am on the Pacific Coast but there are still seasonal fruits and vegetables around in the spring, summer and fall and people selling various seafoods right off the boats at the docks. Some towns are know for certain foods at their local bakeries and specialty stores. The neighborhood I am in at Seattle has a lot of Scandinavian specialties as this part of town had a lot of shingle/shake/ lumber mills and fishing in the late 1800s and early 1900s and was settled in my many Scandinavians, especially from the country of Norway. Of course also a lot of Salmon and Chowder house places around as well.

But right across the street is a great place that makes Carribean/cuban styled sandwiches, a place that get national 5 star ratings for best of the best. They are still open during this Covid 19 as they are a walk-up window place. But it is not in my budget to pay $10.00 for a single meal, it is rare treat for me to go there. When tempted I remind myself how many good tasting dinners or lunch I can make at home for that kind of money such as 1 dozen lovely tuna salad sandwiches.

That is what I want... I bet if I ask son for that neighborhood of Scandinavian foods he would tell me. I have heard from more then 1 person to ask the uber food folks. They know what is best locally. Also what is affordable. Since they eat out and about lot.

The fishing boats in Florence Oregon sell right off their boats, so do the crabbers, but I have a hard time dealing with carcasses so I will get them already steamed and pulled apart. The first time I saw a Quieh(SP!) duck clam was to say the least eye opening! And we went to fast past to many farm stands last Oct. Poor hubby got a bit of an earful that day.

I love a good tuna sandwich. With lots of goodies in it. Next time you make one crumble up a ritz cracker in it and some good dill. Fresh if available. Ok enough, now I'm getting hungry. Can anyone guess what we are having for lunch?

Wurst tag in Eustis Nebraska.  -crofter

For the mods: i cannot say enough about the wurst from Eustis. It is the best of the wurst if you like wurst. There is some graphic video of wurst being made and eaten, and also a dog pic or two. Some street scenes and an endorsement by the guv of Nebraska (for the wurst, not the video). Hope that is enough of an explanation of the link, and now to click on the link.  Ta da.  -crofter

Bacon Fest Keystone Colorado.

For the mods: link discusses Keystone event, history and food with bacon in it. Lots of bacon pictures and contains real meat. There is bluegrass music so be ready with that mute button if twang is just too much. Also there is a pic or two of adult beverage and bacon eating contest. Also some historical pics of the Chicago stockyards and a meat locker. Then "The Bomb" serves 8 and includes woven bacon casing around the ground meat and spices inside. Only in Chicago, beer and bacon considered the finest pairing. No endorsement from the guv, sorry. Road trip to Iowa with real pig pics and pig GTG's for pigs with breeding. Even Cali food trucks with a mac and bacon grilled cheese sand cannot get out of there without consuming at least 4 oz of bacon. Bacon emits VOC's which explains why ppl are so attracted to the smell of frying bacon. This vid goes on and on so good to watch while you are pigging out.   -crofter

it's not for the mods. seriously you don't need to say that.

it's for all the members that have limited data and have to be choosy about which videos to watch if any. that is the purpose of the rule. think about other people not just yourself.

highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
it's not for the mods....
I'll note it as "Description" then. Bacon VOC's work online too.  I thiught the pig pics were the cutest.  -crofter

For anyone traveling east-west through Texas on I-10. In Junction, there are two bbq places, Coopers and Lums. They say Lums is better, so I went there. Fabulous bbq, lots of sides.
A must when traveling through Texas Hill Country. Junction is about 110 miles west of San Antonio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro