traveling for food

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a soft biscuit you could try if you like.

Preheat oven to 450 F

Melt a stick of margarine in the bottom of an 8 X 8 baking pan.

In a mixing bowl

2 1/2 C Baking mix like Bisquick (reserve 1/2 C of this for flouring the cutting board and dusting the dough)

1/2 C  carbonated water,   or Ginger ale,  7 up,  Sprite,  Lite Beer. (whatever you have)
1/2 C sour cream
1/4 C melted margarine 

Mix until combined not overworking it.

Dust the cutting board with 1/4 C of the baking mix
Turn the dough out onto that floured surface.

Knead the dough some and then pat it out to about 1/2 thick
Use your biscuit cutter to cut biscuits out of the dough and fill the
buttered baking pan.

Place the biscuits in the 450 F oven for 12 to 15 minutes until browned and baked thru.

If you want to make a soft  "baking mix"  and can get White Lily all purpose flour,  
set up your food processor. 

Measure out 6 C of White Lily all purpose flour and put into the food processor

Add 3 TB of fresh baking powder

1 TB of salt

1 C of vegetable shortening refrigerated a bit and cut into small cubes. (add this last)

pulse the food processor for about 15 seconds to mix the dry ingredients.
now add the cubed shortening and turn on processor and spin until the 
flour mixture as the consistency of cornmeal

This can be placed in a airtight container and stored in the refrigerator.  It may keep for up to 3 months.

You can play with these two recipes, keep notes, and compare the results. One thing about biscuits, each breakfast
meal is a chance to make them so there will be a lot of opportunity to experiment.

I understand that there are a lot of cooks who won't even attempt to make biscuits without White Lily Flour.

Sounds good to me. Biscuits and gravy for dinner. As soon as there is flour again at my local store...

vanbrat said:
That is what I want... I bet if I ask son for that neighborhood of Scandinavian foods he would tell me. I have heard from more then 1 person to ask the uber food folks. They know what is best locally. Also what is affordable. Since they eat out and about lot.
The Seattle neighborhood is Ballard, lots of Nordic related activities including several festivals and a parade. The bakery is Larsen's (still open during Covid 19 but for takeout only). There is also the beautiful new building housing the National Nordic Museum. Of course the museum is also closed at present but you can browse the museum and the archives virtually https://www.nordicmuseum.org/blog  There is a cafe inside of the museum serving Nordic inspired dishes. But there are other restaurants in the neighborhood with things such as lingonberry pancakes for breakfast.  Shilshole Marina has a circle of Runic like standing stones in tribute to Scandinavian immigrants. It is a very interesting installation to see and a lovely place to bring a picnic then walk just a could of blocks north to a lovely park with a big sandy beach. http://www.leiferikson.org/Shilshole.htm

vanbrat said:
Sounds good to me. Biscuits and gravy for dinner. As soon as there is flour again at my local store...
They might have the cake/pastry flour on the shelf. That is the kind of wheat that makes those soft Southern biscuits. When I went to the store a while back the all purpose flour was sold out but they still had some cake/pastry flour on the shelf.

The last time I went in they where getting some goods restocked, but not flour yet ...except the non wheat kind which is good but very expensive. I'm sure it will be back next week. I live on an island and sometimes we are slow getting back to normal after the s$%#t hits the fan so to speak.

maki2 said:
The Seattle neighborhood is Ballard, lots of Nordic related activities including several festivals and a parade. The bakery is Larsen's (still open during Covid 19 but for takeout only). There is also the beautiful new building housing the National Nordic Museum. Of course the museum is also closed at present but you can browse the museum and the archives virtually https://www.nordicmuseum.org/blog  There is a cafe inside of the museum serving Nordic inspired dishes. But there are other restaurants in the neighborhood with things such as lingonberry pancakes for breakfast.  Shilshole Marina has a circle of Runic like standing stones in tribute to Scandinavian immigrants. It is a very interesting installation to see and a lovely place to bring a picnic then walk just a could of blocks north to a lovely park with a big sandy beach.  http://www.leiferikson.org/Shilshole.htm
I like going into Ballard. The troll is fun. I have been in a few times. So anyone heading to Seattle area on JUNE 21 check out the parade. (not really a kids thing) I will have to ask my kido about the park and the stones.. Sounds like a trip is in order.

If you can't find cake flour you might find a bag of soft wheat all purpose flour like White Lily (which is low protein which will produce less gluten)  Measure out as many cups as you would need for cake flour and remove 2 TB of the flour from each cup and return it to the bag.  Now add 2 TB of Corn Starch (Corn flour) to each of those cups of flour you measured out.   This will need to be mixed well and sifted several times before using. 

Most all purpose flour is generally a harder wheat  Still harder wheat flour is bread flour.  The harder the wheat the more gluten.  Imagine what that could do to your biscuits ?

If you can't find White Lily,  look for Martha White (Hot Rise) self rising, or Southern Biscuit self rising,  These are close to each other in protein content.  (all soft flour)

vanbrat said:
The last time I went in they where getting some goods restocked, but not flour yet ...except the non wheat kind which is good but very expensive. I'm sure it will be back next week. I live on an island and sometimes we are slow getting back to normal after the s$%#t hits the fan so to speak.
But it is a really big Island at least lengthwise :heart:

maki2 said:
But it is a really big Island at least lengthwise :heart:
It is, but still not the mainland we are always a bit behind things especially on the south end. I don't think I would want to live over there. I like my salt water moat.

I guess I don't eat that many carbs. Can't imagine travelling for flour. There are some excellent flours available online, try that & save the gas.

Flathead cherries.  None better.  (Cherries grown on the lands surrounding Flathead Lake, Montana.)

-crofter

I don't think I would travel to far for flour. Just wondered why Alabama family didn't like what they found here. I do plan on eating the goodies that I find everywhere, including flour if I'm anywhere where there is some local if I know about it. I have never eaten OKRA and from what I have heard about it I never will. Love good chili's, hubby and Mom love cherries. I'm allergic. I really don't get the whole white vs yellow cornmeal thing, but again the Alabama family had real opinions about it. Had an in law really liked Chesapeake Bay crabs, but was blown away with the crabs in Pike place market. So he had to do some kinda big ol' crab feast with some very good clam dishes and all the trimmings. Said it would do until we got there ourselves so he could show us where to go for the real thing. Unfortunately he passed away before we could get there. His wife is a German lady and she talked about the Amish food said it was close to her families foods. We lived in Maine for a few months, but never had a good lobster roast thing, heard about them, but never had one. I have a friend who roasted chestnuts in Ohio or something she said it was so good. But that what we get in the stores is mostly just pretty chestnuts for the table decorations at thanksgiving. I need to get some fresh sometime.

Thank you everyone for all the ideas. I will make a list before we go anywhere and find some of these goodies'

crofter said:
I once had lobster in Maine, best lobster (and the biggest) ever. 
-crofter
We lived in Maine for a few months but it was not Lobster "season" so didn't get any..... need to go back. Also we had a major crazy busy bad time there that time. Saw enough to want to do it again and this time much more relaxed.

So far list is ….

Bacon from Colorado
Figs from S. Oregon
Green chilis from NM
Artichokes from Moss Landing CA
Cherries from Flat Head Lake
Strawberries from Or
Lobsters from Maine
Sandwiches from Detroit
And Amish goods from Pa
Filberts from OR
Blue Berries from Eugene OR
Crabs from Or Coast
Salmon from Whidbey Island
Mussels and clams from WA
Flour from The south
peaches from Georgia
Nordic stuff from Ballard in Seattle
Cheese from WI
Sugar Pineapple from Kauai
Sour dough from San Francisco
Alligator meat in New Orlins
Gumbo From New Orlins
Dates from Palm Springs CA
Pistachios from Central Valley CA
Potatoes from Idaho
Oranges from Florida
BBQ from Texas
I'm sure I am missing a few but it's a start..
I better make sure I have my van kitchen well stocked with all the needed pots, pans and tools.

maki2 said:
Here is a quote from the article that describes how to find this flour in pretty much any grocery store in any region.

"Soft wheat flour is typically packaged as cake flour or pastry flour, and is best used for cakes, cookies, and pastries that should be tender and crumbly. It can also be used in fresh pasta, and produces a tender noodle. In general, soft wheat has less protein than hard wheat, which is typically used to make flour for bread."
...and now I know to go to the SE get decent flour in the US!
More here
https://www.asocialanimal.net/briti...the-difference-between-uk-flour-and-us-flour/

The link explains the difference between UK "Strong" flour which is what we have in the US and cake flour

Oh Crofter, life is not worth living without carbs. Or ice cream. ?