Travel Trailer chemical smell.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GypRat

Reaction score
We bought a used 2010 R-pod 173. The interior has a strong chemical smell. I'm guessing it's coming from the materials used to build it.  Just curious if any of you guys had a similar problem? I can't keep the windows open when in storage, for obvious reasons. I can only leave the roof vent cover open when the fan is running. With the fan stopped, the black holding tank smell goes right into the interior because some dumb ingineer placed the black tank vent right next to the fan opening. The black tank is empty and has been flushed but it still has some smell although this has nothing to do with the chemical smell in the trailer.
So far, I have not been able to figure out how to get rid of the smell. Perhaps some of you guys were able to remedy this problem.

BTW, I used to have a 94 Terry trailer (long time ago) but it did not have this problem. I guess the R-Pod manufacturer found even cheaper materials to save manufacturing costs. Who cares about off-gasing problem, right?

GypRat said:
We bought a used 2010 R-pod 173. The interior has a strong chemical smell. I'm guessing it's coming from the materials used to build it.  Just curious if any of you guys had a similar problem?

My Jayco Travel Trailer has the following sticker right inside the door:

20180513_185338.jpg

I can smell it once in awhile. I do keep my windows and vents open whenever possible. Interestingly, the water from the hot side smells pretty bad itself. Must be something that happens when it runs through the hot-water heater.

Attachments

• 20180513_185338.jpg
    20180513_185338.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 7
It seems unlikely that the materials used to build the trailer in 2010 are still outgassing. Any chance you can strip it of all contents that are easily removable and see if it still smells? Maybe mold or a spilled chemical in a hard to get to area?

On the dumb sounding vent-fan location, what about adding some pipe and two 90 degree elbows to get the opening a foot or two away? Or maybe add one of the fan vent covers so the fan opening is a bit further away? Or change the fan air direction?

Actually, the best thing for the chemicals is "heat". Heat seems to be their enemy. And, they can continue to outgas for some time with some manufacturers being much worse than others. As far as the black tank, empty is probably worse than having some clean water just sit in the tank, enough to cover the bottom of the tank with a wet layer if you aren't facing freezing conditions. Also, watch what chemicals you use in the toilet as they make things smell even worse and some use formaldehyde. When you can avoid the chemicals altogether that helps the whole "situation". Formaldehyde makes me dizzy, so I am always watching out for it.

I've used a number of used fabric softener sheets (Bounce) to keep a fresh smell about things from luggage to tote containers w/clothing. If your cushions have access slip in some dryer sheets on top, between cushion material & casing, after a good cleaning with Febreze Fabric (eliminates odors, 0% perfume, dermatologist tested). I've used that Febreze on other materials & areas besides fabric with success as well. Try it in an inconspicuous location first, but I think you may be satisfied with the results. For the black tank I'll use a good squirt of Dawn Dish Soap and 1/4 cup of Borax Detergent Booster diluted in a bucket then flushed. This plus the tank 1/2 filled with water as I drive to my next spot that either has a dump station on site or one en route will create a good sloshing to help with cleaning/odors within the tank. I don't do this every time, just when it comes to mind that it would be helpful.

A Savage Adventure said:
My Jayco Travel Trailer has the following sticker right inside the door:

I can smell it once in awhile. I do keep my windows and vents open whenever possible. Interestingly, the water from the hot side smells pretty bad itself. Must be something that happens when it runs through the hot-water heater.

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I can't keep the windows open because rain will get the interior wet.
I have not noticed any smell in the hot water side. Hot water smell is a common problem, especially if your water source has a water softener. It also depends on water pH and contaminants. Check the condition of the sacrificial anode rod in your heater. Usually there is a plug on the bottom of the heater (bottom of the side facing you when side cover is open). It's usually made of aluminum. Look for a replacement rod made of aluminum/zinc. This may help to reduce the smell. Avoid using water treated with a water softener.

Thanks for the replies, y'all. 
I did think about relocating the black water vent but it will make it look like a large weird contraption on the roof because there is very little flat roof space available. I will probably do this anyway and install a cabin vent cover for the main roof vent fan, so the opening may stay open for improved ventilation.
We'll just have to live with it, unfortunately. :(

First heat it up inside with heaters and leave vents open to the cooler outside air, this will both drive out the volatiles and exit them to the outside.

After a week of that, then (this works for me really well) take some fresh Folgers coffee and put it on plates all over the RV undisturbed for a week, also hang un-used tea bags.  Trust me, this just sucks up the funkiness like crazy.  I even used this in my RV fridge which had mystery funk despite being cleaned with lysol, vinegar, baking soda, had baking soda on trays...nothing worked until I used the coffee and tea.  Weird I know!