Transvan ??

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gallahadion

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with Transvan's by Chevy?  Or a Travelcraft GMC Vandura?

I've seen some of these lately for some reasonable prices. One of these would solve my needing to stand
up in my future van.   If you have any experience with these, please share.

Thanks,
Todd

i like the small rv things,a little more room then a van with some existing systems,water/propane tanks,must be full fiberglass/aluminium and not tin shed,i got a liking for the 70's chinook concourse

I have always loved the funky 1970's disco style of the Transvan. Most of them were built on Dodge Chassis and were built by Champion Motorhomes. If you find a Dodge one, Be very wary of rust. Especially at the window pillar and passenger side bulkhead. These vans tended to leak especially pre-1980 before Dodge got their act together and improved welding and sealing on the cab-chassis. Most were 5.2L or 5.9L powered. If you find a 4wd drive one. GRAB IT. Its one of 100 ever built.

However if your over 5'5'' or so, your not standing up in one. That was the main reasons why I never bought one, even though more then a few have popped up on Craigslist over the years for under 3G's. And I am not a huge fan of not having a side door...

LeeRevell said:
That smaller Class C would be a nice rig, but it would suck gas.  If you do more camping/staying in place than driving it could be quite nice!

The old Chinook 19 foot RV's would fit that bill as well.

Travelcraft produced some pretty good units as they have been on the road for some time. Not sure about Transvan though. Are you mainly looking for the "wide" body vans? For the most part, with older units, manufacturer isn't as crucial as the care the unit has gotten. The less owners it has seen, the better.