Transmission Trouble in SD

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I run a SM465 in my 1 ton. I believe that's the trans you have. I run a combo clutch in mine. Semi metallic on the pressure plate side and heavy duty clutch material on the flywheel side.

The down side to this set up is you need to have the clutch in or out. NO SLIPPING THE CLUTCH.
The upside is the clutch lasts forever or as close as you will get.

They don't like putting semi metallic on both sides because an inexperience driver could ruin a flywheel in a very short time. I get mine custom made at a clutch shop. They cost the same as a kit you buy at an auto parts store. But they also do the flywheel resurfacing onsite and also are knowledgeable on what other parts are good like the throw-out bearing. Stay away from the cheap china T.O. bearings. Which brings up another point most of the kits use the cheapest junk parts they can put together.

Highdesertranger

^^^I almost always had to machine my own flywheels being as I lived in remote areas. A "clutch shop" sounds like a great idea but I assume it would have to be somewhere in a high population. I found one in Atlanta Georgia clutchspecialties.com doing a Google search. Care to advertise for the shop you use?

Thanks for the all the info everyone. We tried starting engine in gear, same thing, no movement just grinding. Now it grinds slightly when in neutral. Only time it never grinds is when clutch is engaged. So I think ya'll are right with the separated clutch disc. We're gonna get towed to nearest auto parts store, 59 miles away, and rip this thing apart in the parking lot. The tow costs more than the parts! Hopefully we'll be back on the road this weekend.

It's a NV4500 5spd transmission, just like the one found in Dodge pickups. Very strong transmission with OD. I put them in my Jeeps because I always blow up stock Jeeps transmissions. The van has a little 4 cylinder diesel, less than 150hp, I don't think we'll be ripping up clutches. I was very naughty to the clutch a few days back when I lost a hydraulic clutch line. It took several large blows from me trying to get it going when I was parked between two cars on a hill on a side road in Minneapolis. Got where I needed to go without using the clutch, but it wasn't pretty. Maybe that weakened the clutch disc? But that is a story in it's own.

We have ice cream in the freezer, beer in the fridge, and at least 35 gallons of water left in the tank, so we'll make it.

Dropped the transmission with chain, rope, a ratchet strap, and a come-along. Doing what we can with what we got. Will surely post photos. Clutch disc is broken. The splined flange on the clutch disc that goes over the input shaft rattles and shifts in-between the springs. The grinding noise was that plate spinning against the springs. Spending the day walking to nearest town to find replacement.

Be careful. Maybe some longer bell housing bolts with the heads cut off to use as guides will help aligning it as you put it in. Remember your leg is stronger than your arm. Again best wishes and be careful.

Always careful! This is a big heavy cast iron transmission. Made sure nobody was underneath this thing while it was supported by our hoist monstrosity. I do love the long bolt alignment idea. Thanks, I will surely add that to my toolbox! Anyway, we got it down and stuff.

51306185559_2a718ab0d5_c.jpg

This is how we did it. Anchored into the 1/4" aluminum frame of the van. Ran some chain down to a come-along. Easy down, and easy back up.

51304729297_fc652063ca_c.jpg

So the clutch is definitely no good. Yes, it is not an old clutch plate, plenty of clutch material left on it. What broke was the hub inside the clutch disk. You can see the hub plate inside next to the springs. Seems the tabs that engage those springs have sheared off. the grinding we were hearing was actually just that hub plate smacking the sides of the springs as the engine spun it around. Oh well, after a 12 mile hike to the nearest auto store, were back on the road! Lining up the transmission using this come-along method was super easy. Took about 10-15 seconds to send her home. Way easier than using a jack. While unconventional, this may be my new standard method of transmission removal!

When you are traveling in an old vehicle nothing like some good walking shoes! Lol!!!

Thanks everyone. Will be sure to always have extra pair of good walking shoes! Much cheaper than carrying around a spare clutch!

I get the idea you live for this kind of stuff, great problem solving skills, great attitude, good stuff, did you end up doing it where you stopped?

Haha, I do enjoy this stuff. Wish it didn't happen at all, but the part I enjoy is being able to fix it on my own in a pinch. We could have had a shop do the work, but that would have cost money and would have taken several weeks. I already called places, they were all booked, so yea, we just did it ourselves and it worked out.