Transit Connect Reviews?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paullad

Reaction score
I've found some reviews online and the 2011 & 2012 TC got pretty bad reviews. 2010 and 2013 got decent reviews and the rest good reviews. Would love to hear your review. Please tell how long you've had your van and how many miles you've put on it. Thanks!

Welcome to the CRVL forums paullad! I can't help you with Transit Connect information but hopefully some of our members will chime in.

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

John61CT said:
Pretty darn small no?

"No" driver and passenger comfort second to none. Large man sized FIRM bucket seats (6 way+ lumbar), Jolly Green Giant (I am 6'2" tall 320 pounds) headroom, ease of entry unreal with super low rocker panel height and two grab handles. Cargo area about the same size as a short wheelbase old school van minus two feet in length. Nice stiff ride but not punishing due to 3/4+ ton cargo capacity.

And one more thing 30 MPG highway!

Now I see in your signature that you do own one. Mind sharing a review? How long have you owned it? How many miles did it have when you got it? How many miles have you put on it? What kind of problems have you had? What do you like least about it?

Thanks!

> Cargo area about the same size as a short wheelbase old school van minus two feet in length.

Everything is relative. Yes of course better than fulltiming in a Prius, but too small for my needs.

I bought mine on 2.27.18

Problems: Van came without a spare key, cost of new spare key (comes in three parts electronic key stem, power lock fob, and programing) from Ford Dealer=$237.00 including PA sales tax If any key other than the properly programmed key is used to start the machine it goes into auto dead man mode.

Third brake light not attached properly needs 3 1/8"dia sheet metal screws and some silicon glue.

The coolant overflow (which has the pressure cap) has leaking at a seam (common problem)was caught at test ride dealer installed new tank $52 Dorman part from auto zone.

AM-FM roof mount antenna missing 9" oem style thru ebay seller $12.69 shipping included.

The only issue I have is that I would like to be able to move the drivers seat back another 1-2".

The TC appeared to be the small eurovan of choice at the RTR; many clever builds and happy people. I only saw one each NV200 and PM City if that means anything. All of the TC owners that I talked to were jazzed about thier choice. None reported mechanical problems.

My outsider view: I like them, especially the older ones. When I saw one the first year at the Dallas car show I embarrassed my then-wife by jumping in the back and laying down to see if I could build a bed platform in the back. :)

you've probably already found these fourms:
http://fordtransitconnectforum.com/
http://fordtransit.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=54
http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums/index.php?/forum/97-transit-connect-forum/
etc

Have you decided on a TC or are you still looking?

I can't offer a review which OP asked for. My opinion though, is after looking at one ~ 2012 found in a Ford car dealer's lot & reading about the Transit's is they are very nicely designed, appear to be solidly built & owners seem to be happy and those are reviews. The size of the van is what you'd be deciding is right for you to put money into to build up. I had seriously entertained the idea of buying one back then, for nearly a year, they are that nice. But I'm *el* bent on sticking it out in my Dodge Cargo van streak.

frater secessus said:
The TC appeared to be the small eurovan of choice at the RTR; many clever builds and happy people. I only saw one each NV200 and PM City if that means anything. All of the TC owners that I talked to were jazzed about thier choice. None reported mechanical problems.

My outsider view: I like them, especially the older ones. When I saw one the first year at the Dallas car show I embarrassed my then-wife by jumping in the back and laying down to see if I could build a bed platform in the back. :)

you've probably already found these fourms:
http://fordtransitconnectforum.com/
http://fordtransit.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=54
http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums/index.php?/forum/97-transit-connect-forum/
etc

Have you decided on a TC or are you still looking?

Still looking. My main concern is maintenance costs. Not sure how much parts are and if most of the work would need to be done by a dealer or if the average mechanic can do most of the work on these. Thanks for the links. Will check them out.

And Goodwill said:
I can't offer a review which OP asked for. My opinion though, is after looking at one ~ 2012 found in a Ford car dealer's lot & reading about the Transit's is they are very nicely designed, appear to be solidly built & owners seem to be happy and those are reviews. The size of the van is what you'd be deciding is right for you to put money into to build up. I had seriously entertained the idea of buying one back then, for nearly a year, they are that nice. But I'm *el* bent on sticking it out in my Dodge Cargo van streak.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm starting out road tripping for a month or two at a time so am not spending much on a "build" if you want to call it that. If I decide to go full time, then I'll consider a high top and a proper build out.

I don't own one. wasn't there a problem with the driveshaft vibration dampener? highdesertranger

Now is the time to buy. The 2013 models are now coming off 60 month commercial leases.

The gen 1 2010-2013 are already neo classics and I bet there will be a cult following for many years to come which will keep resale prices high.

Also a plus because certain years of the Focus automobile share the same drivetrain there will be a good supply of used engines and transmissions for at least the next 10 years.

I owned a 2013 TC for 3 years and 35k trouble-free miles. I'm not sure about "neo-classics" but it's a pretty good and unique little van. These car-based vans are very common in Europe, where they get manual transmissions and small turbodiesel engines. As mentioned, the US Transit Connects got leftover drivetrain parts from previous generation Ford Focus. That means parts are relatively cheap and owners/dealers can get everything. The downside is that the four speed auto transmission and Duratec engine are seriously underpowered and poorly matched. You really notice this in hilly/mountain driving or trying to maintain the 75 mph speedlimit headed westbound across Kansas. This is why the transmissions are often in need of early rebuilds/replacements, especially when tradespeople treat them like their old Econolines (ask fleet owners).

I used it as a weekend/summer camper/daily driver and to haul our mtbs and kayaks around. I never got 30mpg, though. More like 21mpg in the city and 26mpg on the highway, somewhere in between in the mountains (lots of time in Appalachia and two long trips to CO,WY, and MT). The short wheelbase and decent ground clearance made it surprising agile on forest/dirt roads. We ventured up to some pretty remote trailheads in both Appalachia and the Rockies and never got stuck. 

I would've kept the damn thing if I could have fit myself, my wife, our dog, and our stuff inside. Actually, I did manage a double bed (52x74) on a raised folding platform and slept in it for many nights w/ wife, dog, and a 12v compressor fridge (on the front seat), but it was always a tight squeeze. We had the wagon version with the fold-up and removable (just six bolts) rear bench seats. You can also split that rear bench, which comes in handy during daily use. The pop out rear quarter panel window also helps ventilation while sleeping in it. I posted a few photos of my convertible camper conversion on the transit connect forum after our first weekend test trip-

http://fordtransitconnectforum.com/profile/4098-bill/content/?type=gallery_image

SVan said:
The downside is that the four speed auto transmission and Duratec engine are seriously underpowered and poorly matched. You really notice this in hilly/mountain driving or trying to maintain the 75 mph speedlimit headed westbound across Kansas. This is why the transmissions are often in need of early rebuilds/replacements, especially when tradespeople treat them like their old Econolines (ask fleet owners).
My experience is completely different than yours. Yesterday I climbed a 4% 4 mile grade on US220 (aka Appalachian Thruway) at 50 MPH in third gear at about 3300 RPM. A few days ago I passed a road tractor pulling a 53' dry van on one of the few level sections of US220 with ease. It could be my perspective is tainted due to driving a bunch of underpowered vehicles in the past.

As far a myself doing 75mph it is not going to happen, eventually I will find the sweet spot for max mph and I will set the cruise control to that point stay in the right lane and watch the world go by me on the left side.

I bought my 2010 TC about 4 years ago with 56,000 miles on it, and have since added another 30,000, mostly trouble-free.  

The only thing I've had to replace that was pricey, was the front door latches ($331 each X 2).  I was having a problem that I've read about a few times (but only a few) on my TC forum, where the doors would unlock and the interior lights would come on when the doors were really closed, because the computer thought one of the doors was still open.  

When the problem got bad enough that I feared the doors might unlock themselves in a parking lot while I was away from it, I went ahead and ordered the latches.  I bought them about a year apart, though, so it's not like I had to dump the entire $662+ on the van at one time.  

Most parts can be found at your local auto parts store, but I'm picky when it comes to "complicated" electronic switches / latches, so I opted for the Ford Factory parts, instead of taking my chances with the cheaper Chinese knockoffs I've heard so many bad things about.  

An example of local auto parts store prices (bases on super-high SF Bay Area / California prices) are, $35 each for brake rotors, $21 for the valve cover gasket (the dealer wants $42), and $10 each for spark plugs.  
If I change the engine oil myself, it's about $35 for the oil & filter.  It's twice that if you have the shop or dealer do it.  :s

Pros: Tons of headroom (I'm 6' 4"), decent legroom, though as someone else mentioned, it would be nice to have an additional 2".  Comfortable seats w/adjustable lumbar support, tilt and height settings.  
It's also been very reliable and affordable to own.  Pretty decent mpg too, though I'm not getting 30mpg.  I'm pretty sure the 30mpg estimates are for the 2nd Gen TC's with the V6.  

Cons: Gutless, powerless, weak-ass acceleration with almost zero passing power, unless you're driving downhill (downhill would also be when you'd get 30mpg).
Super-stiff, bone jarring, teeth rattling rear suspension, that will bounce you out of your mind on dirt or washboard roads.  
I've been wondering if I could put TC passenger van springs on it to soften it up a bit.   

This is minor, but I do wish that when you raised the driver's seat up, and it moves forward, that you could move it back again.  Unfortunately, moving it up automatically moves the seat forward, reducing the legroom.....  And that's a drag when you're tall like me.  
For years I drove Mercedes Sprinters for work, and those would allow you to jack the seat up (a lot) and still move them back for legroom...  which I always did.  

I'd also prefer it if I could get the van with a 5-speed manual transmission instead of the automatic.  

All in all, though, I really like it.  I don't live in it, just use it for camping, and it's great for that.  :cool:  I think I'd go crazy if I tried to live in such a small space.

~

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_5d6.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_5d6.jpeg
    1.3 MB
  • fullsizeoutput_5d5.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_5d5.jpeg
    1.3 MB