Trailer tire angst

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waldenbound

Reaction score
I need to upgrade my tires on my 2017 RPod, 178.
I have some cheap Chinese retreads, Westlake. Tire size is ST235/75R15, load rating C.

I called some rv tech support with Good Sam and they said that was a common size. Well, I can’t find that size, they’re like finding hens teeth.

Why can’t I find this tire size in a good tire? Why is the cheap tire available in this size?

This is becoming a nightmare!

I have the Goodyear Endurance trailer tires in 225/75-15 load range E with an 80 psi max sidewall rating on my cargo trailer.  Made in USA.  Sure, one step down in width with two steps up in load rating.  Be very surprised if they are not way tough enough  for your application. 

I have well over 15k hard miles on them and they are in great shape.  Lots of rough tracks while boondocking.

I do want Goodyear Endurance tires, but is it safe to use the different size?

Come to think of it, I wouldn’t be surprised if the Westlake tires are the wrong size for the rims. I can’t find st235 anywhere! It is not a common size.

waldenbound said:
I do want Goodyear Endurance tires, but is it safe to use the different size?

That size difference means they will rotate a couple more times per mile than the correct size, but being load range E, they will handle much more weight safely.

225/75R15 should work for you.

From my research, it looks like the industry standard for 15" trailer tires are 225.75R15 and 205/75R15. Your 235's seem to be the oddball.

I suggest that you consider the difference between C and E load range tires.  Big difference, not trivial.  In comparison the 10mm (0.4 inch) less width of my 225 width 80 psi pressure rated tires is trivial.  If you check the max rating of the tires that you now have with the 2830 pounds rating at 80 psi that I just read off of my Endurance tires, you might be surprised.  Please let us know the max load rating on your current tires.

The load rating is c, i do want to go to an e rating.
I’m sick and tired of stressing out over my tires every time I hitch up. AND my currrnt tires are crumbling on the edge if the tread!

The max load rating in pounds is what I was asking for.

Oh, let’s see, max load single 2340 lbs at 50 psi cold
Max load dual 2040 lbs at 50 psi cold

Thanks.   It does indeed look like your ST235/75-15 tires are a dead size.

I have an appointment on Saturday for some Goodyear Endurance st225/75r15 load rated E!

That solves it. I’m tired of stressing over my tires.