Toyota Sunland Express

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frenchie

Reaction score
Anyone could tell me a bit about little class B RV from toyota (the ones with pick up truck body) 4 cylinders. The desing of the living space is well done. But I doubt the lack of power with 4 cyl. engine with such a heavy haul... just wondering.I have no doubt about toyota realability, and old time non computarized engines... easier to maintain and repair.

thanks

I'm sure the vehicle is geared down for a lower top speed but more pulling power. It's probably not going to be as fast or as good mileage as the Toyota deluxe the chassis is built on. I'm also sure the camper part is made to be as light as possible.

The 22RE is a computer controlled engine. Not to the extent that modern vehicles are, but still has a computer.

I bought a water damaged one maybe 10 years ago with hopes of rebuilding it. It ended up going to the scrap yard as there was no structural integrity left in the camper. It was disappointing because I could tell it was a nice camper at one time.

Did a quick google search and came up with a bunch for sale at pretty reasonable prices.

thanks for your reply, verry interesting comments...I am surprised to heard there was ''computer controlled engine'' wow, we're talking about mid 80's engines !!! Like I said, I am amased at how well build these camper were made.  I remember seeing one where camper were made by wannabago.
Futur only will tell if I'll own one to replace my E150 conversion van... Any comments about the transmission (automatic or manual ????)

the 22R is a carbureted non-computer engine. a 22RE is a fuel injected computer engine. some of the first ones were 20R engines. the ones you want are the fiberglass body ones. also make sure the rear axle has been upgraded. the early ones had bad rear axles. highdesertranger

Thanks for the infos, I'll take good note of these !

In (I think) 86-87 they started putting 6cyl engines in some of the Toyhomes .
That's about the time they put the full float 1 ton rears in too.

I had a 82 Dolphin that I picked up in 89. Had the 22R engine and 100k miles on it when I got it. Got the rear axel updated for free under the recall after a wheel bearing failure. It was a dog on the hills but it got you there. We put 27k miles on it without any real problems. It was super easy to work on under the hood and parts were cheap. It was built on a one ton Toyota chasis if I remember correctly and there was nothing special about the 4spd transmission. We did average around 16mpg and the gas pedal had 2 positions, to the floor or off. :)

We had alot of fun with it the 5 years we owned it but a small 5th wheel was calling which we have to this day. We got tired of having to drive it everywhere to get around (same as any motorhome) Keep an eye out for past and future roof leaks. Ours was a constant battle. Also the wet bath drained into the same tank as the black water so dumping was frequent and we worked out a method to plug the drain and bail the water out after every shower. That helped alot.

Good Luck and if it smells musty inside, pass on it!

-Mike

Thank you dangerbird for your ''review'' on the toyota camper. I expected it would be dog on the hill as you say, so imagine with an automatic transmission !!!  you make me laugh with the 2 positions only, for gas pedal... really funny. Still not sure yet, but the desing attract me a bit, I must confess. I guess the top speed was kinda low ??? I never go pass 60 MPH anyway !

Thanks again.

I had an uncle with a Sun Raider (fiberglass, and built before they knew how little of it they actually needed) which he loved dearly. Tiny 4cyl 22R engine that was exposed and easy to work on, unlike most RV where the engines seem to be buried like there is treasure someone is protecting...
I remember he got damn good mileage as long as he stayed in the slow lane :)

Plus they seem to hold their value really well from what little I have seen.

Latest posts