Toyota RVs

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patschum

Reaction score
Anyone have positive experiences with the 6 cylinder Toyota RVs. I read no positives in these threads about 6s. I had a Camry with 250K on it that ran like new. I know there would be more stress on a rig hauling so much more weight, But I loved that engine. What goes wrong with them? Also wondering what kind of gas mileage I might get if I gambled on the 6 instead of the 22r or re?

Not real up to date, but I believe the v6 had head/ head gasket issues and oil leak problems.

The 22r has no problems.

Their underpowered and overweight, that's a bad combination. If anyone but Toyota made them they would be crap, but Toyota makes such good stuff that they overcome those inherent problems. But...

They don't get good mileage, maybe 15-17
They don't pull hills well,
They don't ever go fast,
They can't tow anything
You really need to watch the weight you put in them
They don't have Toyotas legendary reliability. They are reliable, just not as reliable as a 22r or V6 would be in something lighter. Same with the tranny.

But, they are Toyotas and so they hold their value. That means they aren't cheap either.

For the same money you can get a American Class C and tow a Toyota Corrolla or a Tacoma. You'd have more room and overall much better gas mileage.
Bob

early Toyota v-6's had several problems. blown head gaskets was a big one, also timing belt idler pulley, and we can't forget the water pump. take it from me the v-6 is no 22r as far as reliability is concerned. on top of this the blown head gasket problem is a design flaw. there is no deck that the head rides on it's an open deck type design to save weight, while this works on light vehicles with light duty engines it's a poor design at best for a heavy duty engine. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
early Toyota v-6's had several problems. blown head gaskets was a big one, also timing belt idler pulley, and we can't forget the water pump. take it from me the v-6 is no 22r as far as reliability is concerned. on top of this the blown head gasket problem is a design flaw. there is no deck that the head rides on it's an open deck type design to save weight, while this works on light vehicles with light duty engines it's a poor design at best for a heavy duty engine. highdesertranger
Yup. This is my experience too. Mine had a factory recall and had the head gasket done (for free from Toyota dealer) and about a year later it did the same thing.