Toyota RV 4cyl

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, I believe Bob's set up would be the ideal set up for myself as well, it is just that Before I bot,, A.) I had envision staying locally and needed the room for a wood stove for extreme cold temperatures of Montana, and desired carrying/towing capacity. B.) I had no idea about this lifestyle and had not yet discover this web site or Bob's van. If I had the money I would buy Bob's set up, yet the MH will work as well and for a lot less money up front. I already had the 2WD Toyota pickup. Some of the advantages of the MH are it's low up front cost, $2,500, and in my choice, mine has low mileage, 60,000. It is a 1986 Coachman, a 28 foot Class A, with the 454 and Turbo 400 transmission. Folks around here are dumping the MH's and cheap. I would not get longer than 28 feet. It'll be really tough to find camp sites that can accommodate longer. 28 feet is just about right tho in terms of living space.

Another advantage of a MH is the work space one can build in. I promptly remodeled by ripping out half the interior and installing a wood stove and creating an interior that can be utilized several different ways. It is a design that stresses versatility and utility, and looks good too. The most important aspect is counter space, or work space. There is 20 linear feet or 60 square feet of counter top, not including the kitchen. Because I'll need to work for a living, I wanted to use it as a mobile repair shop, or for wood working and mechanical projects for sale, reloading, radio shack, or even a mobile kitchen, or whatever. The space can be used to make money in many ways. Also built- in was as much storage space as possible. If I have not gone totally off the grid by now, I can still go totally off the grid for at least 6 months to a year or more without towing a trailer or vehicle that can carry more. The pickup, in a pinch, can be loaded up with even more supplies and tools. But that might make stopping from highways speeds a bit too slow. The 2WD Toyota pickup weighs in at about 2,600lbs, and it can also haul nearly 1/2 cord of soft woods. MPG is tops, 26 at best.

The large 454 should tow 4000lbs without breaking a sweat, yet towing a vehicle heavier than 3,000 pounds, and most states will require a braking system on the towed vehicle. These systems are expensive if bot new, perhaps as much as $1,500. Throw in a tow bar and it gets spendy! Used tow dollys are about $1,000. Your Toyota 4WD weighs in at about 3,300lbs, so most states will require a braking system for that vehicle. Check out the different states in this map:

http://www.brakebuddy.com/Towing-Laws

Check with a local fabricator. Brackets for the older Toyotas are easy to build. I've done it myself, but now I do not have the welder, so a local fellow will make one for $150 and sell me an old tow bar for $75.
So, I'm out the door and towing the 2WD for about $225, plus the magnetic mounted taillights, perhaps another $75 bucks. All aspects considered, this set up has low up front costs, and yet is a capable rig for someone expecting to work for a living instead of traveling, and for someone who expects to one day, to go totally off the grid.

dogear52 said:
Basically I just need some room and security for 3 cats and a MH seems to be the ideal set up since I only want to move every 2 weeks about 30 miles each time. My 2 dogs and I will be outside a lot. If I kept my truck I could probably pay someone to drive it to the next campsite so I have back up and 4x4 for off road exploration. So, RogueRV2, what model and year class A did you get and what is the engine size. Towing my pickup might be an option but it's not tow ready as yet.
I like your set up, Bob, and it might be what I evolve to or just go ahead and start with. Trying to imagine how the pets would do.....and would go with a 7x12 v nose with ramp/side door and install several windows. Just wondering how difficult it would be to sell it if I decide on a different rig.
Thanks guys.

Bob, I'd be towing with my 99 Frontier V6 4x4....5,000 lb max tow weight. The only permanent thing I'd do to a cargo trailer would be some windows.....a couple being good size sliding windows and screen door since I have trouble with small spaces, which might present a security issue when re-selling as a cargo trailer.
Offroad, I've always had an interest in the school bus conversions.....lots of windows! Will be looking into them too. Thanks.

RogueRV2, sounds like you have an ideal set-up. I'm probably going to look for a 24' class c with 454, 460 or 350 (preferred if not towing).....if I can't find a Toyota RV. I'd want to gut out unnecessary stuff to lighten it up and create more space. Anyway I'll be making a decision soon since I'll be on my way to AZ by Oct 1 and picking up something there. Thanks for the good info.