Toyota 4-Runner Tips??

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waverider1987

Reaction score
Hey ya'll.  I'm new, see post in newbies thread.

I have a 2002 toyota 4 runner.  I have pretty much no idea what I'm doing, so I have some specific questions that I'm hoping someone can answer for me.

1.  Windows.  I read about cutting the insallation bubble wrap-type stuff.  This seems like a good idea and takes away the need for curtains, since windows will already be covered.  Not sure how I can do this AND mosquito netting, which i want for when it's hot and can roll windows down.  Imagine you can tape the netting to the outside of the car, around the window?  Not sure

2.  Power inverters.  Mostly want to be able to run a small fan, electric kettle, and electric heater.  Heater if nothing else.  I've seen the Mr Buddy heaters, look nice, but figured since I have the electric one, I can just use it instead.  But I don't know how long I can run it before draining battery and what size wattage inverter I'll need.  Heater says 120V-1500W.  Seems like a lot.  Imagine if I ran it all night, I'd wake up to a dead battery, which must be why everyone gets the propane heater.  But idk.

That's about it for now.  Thanks.

waverider1987 said:
Hey ya'll.  I'm new, see post in newbies thread.

I have a 2002 toyota 4 runner.  I have pretty much no idea what I'm doing, so I have some specific questions that I'm hoping someone can answer for me.

1.  Windows.  I read about cutting the insallation bubble wrap-type stuff.  This seems like a good idea and takes away the need for curtains, since windows will already be covered.  Not sure how I can do this AND mosquito netting, which i want for when it's hot and can roll windows down.  Imagine you can tape the netting to the outside of the car, around the window?  Not sure

2.  Power inverters.  Mostly want to be able to run a small fan, electric kettle, and electric heater.  Heater if nothing else.  I've seen the Mr Buddy heaters, look nice, but figured since I have the electric one, I can just use it instead.  But I don't know how long I can run it before draining battery and what size wattage inverter I'll need.  Heater says 120V-1500W.  Seems like a lot.  Imagine if I ran it all night, I'd wake up to a dead battery, which must be why everyone gets the propane heater.  But idk.

That's about it for now.  Thanks.

Instead of welcoming you on the Newbies' thread I'll just say welcome to the forum right here!!

Windows- there should be rain guards available for your car for at least the front windows. They work great for being able to leave the windows down for ventilation - highly recommended.

Insect screening would probably be better used on the inside, either by putting Velcro where you need it or if you have metal posts/interior instead of plastic then you can use magnets. Worst case scenario, use office binder clips.

Reflectix works great for blocking out the light but unless you're also intent on blocking all the air, not so much. When I travelled in a car type vehicle, I took cheap towels and cut them to fit the various windows. Used a combination of clothes pins and bungie cords to secure them at the top. I stacked stuff up on the one side and that held the towels tight against the trim on that side. Maybe use reflectix for the front window and something else for the rest of the windows.

It's really only necessary to completely block the windows from all light if you're stealth camping like on a city street. If you're in a WalMart parking lot, they know you're there, you're only trying to block the windows visually for privacy.

Electriciy - forget the electric heater, the kettle and the 120V fan. The heater and the kettle need a huge inverter and without a second/third battery specifically set up with ways to charge them you're fighting a losing battle. Fans are available in 12V as are ways to heat water - it's better to use 12V than to try to convert 12V to 120. Personally, I wouldn't use my starter battery for much of anything other than starting the vehicle but that's me...I like getting long life out of the battery and I like turning the key and knowing the engine will start instead of 'maybe'.

Whether you need a heater at all will depend on where you're travelling at what time of year and how you're planning on living. If you're planning on following the sun, then the heater might best be substituted with warmer sleeping gear.

Tell us how you think you want to be travelling and where and we can all help more.

The previous owner of our van made screens that fit over the door frames like a pillow case fits a pillow, works pretty well and doesn't require magnets or velcro.

Also, check out this thread I started about inverters, I knew zero about electrical stuff and theres lots of good info shared there: https://vanlivingforum.com/Thread-Inverter-thingy-question

The plan right now is to leave from VA in December, so it'll be pretty cold. Then take the southern route to Arizona for the meetup.

I'm wondering about heaters. Is it really safe to use the little mr heater inside the car at night while sleeping? Guess cracking a window is good...if it's hopefully not raining.

waverider1987 said:
The plan right now is to leave from VA in December, so it'll be pretty cold.  Then take the southern route to Arizona for the meetup.  

I'm wondering about heaters.  Is it really safe to use the little mr heater inside the car at night while sleeping?  Guess cracking a window is good...if it's hopefully not raining.

Nope -not at all!  Most everyone who uses a portable propane heater heats up the vehicle until it's comfy and then turns it off for the night while they sleep. They'll fire it up in the morning and snuggle in the warm bed while the vehicle warms up enough again. The portable heaters need a good deal of clearance around them which isn't really available in a small vehicle and you'd need both a fire/smoke alarm and a carbon monoxide alarm installed in your vehicle. IMO you'd be better off investing in a good sub zero sleeping bag and some microfleece thermal underwear than anything else.

The rain guards I mentioned earlier will let you have the windows open in the rain while you're running the heater.

x2 on the good sleeping bag. I myself would not sleep with any potable heater on. like was mentioned use the heater before going asleep and when you wake up. using electricity to heat anything is inefficient. that electric heater will not even run all night before killing your battery. you are on the right track asking question. keep reading and keep asking. highdesertranger

A few thoughts on sleeping bags . . .

They come in various "ratings": 40*, 20*, 0*, -20*, even -40* for serious arctic bags.  The first thing to know is that those ratings don't mean that you will be comfortable down to that temperature, they mean you won't freeze to death down to those temperatures.

The second thing to know is that a bag that will keep you comfortable at the coldest temperature you expect to be in will be way too hot to be comfortable in at higher temperatures.

You should think in terms of a sleeping "system" - a sleeping bag that is supplemented with one or two blankets or quilts.  You will use all of them when it's coldest, and you will have the flexibility to use only what you need to be comfortable in moderate to hot temperatures.

Regards
John

The smallest Mr Buddy with 3800 btus only, will work well in a 4Runner. You can even convert it to hook up to a bulk bottle.

Bob

waverider1987 said:
The plan right now is to leave from VA in December, so it'll be pretty cold.  Then take the southern route to Arizona for the meetup.  

I'm wondering about heaters.  Is it really safe to use the little mr heater inside the car at night while sleeping?  Guess cracking a window is good...if it's hopefully not raining.

Welcome! Another item to consider for warmth day and night is a good pair of insulated coveralls. I've also had good results having a heating pad against my lower back off and on while awake (probably not a good idea to sleep with one). I read when the kidneys are kept warm the blood stays warm....and they actually make battery operated belts designed for that I believe. Electric blankets also help....not sure about DC though. This forum is the right place for your research.

i sleep with my buddy on, but vented and i have way more clearence. i would go the sleeping bag and occassional fire up of the little buddy in your rig.

Id get a stack of magnets, and duct tape them into a seam around window shaped doors. then you can throw them on when needed and not stealthed. They make a product called skeeter beaters that basically is the same.

Go to family dollar\dollar general, get a cheap sunshield for front window. In the stationary isle they have black foam board for a buck, grab some and cut to fit in window, slightly larger. Press them in window, or velcro. Privacy, and black makes people just ignore it because they just think the interior is too dark to casually glance in.

I camp in an '04 Explorer, which is the same size class SUV.

I'm comfortable down to 20 F or so without a heater, sleeping fully clothed in the cheapest sleeping bag Walmart sells with a couple of blankets. On cold mornings, reach out and get your defroster going before climbing out of bed. I would not use any standalone heater in an SUV. Get insulation before getting a heater, and your body heat should keep the internal temperature tolerable over the night. I also bet that New Hampshire in the middle of November is colder than Virginia in December.

Generally, in places where you want curtains, you don't need mosquito netting (Walmart parking lots). I use pieces of ordinary window screen clamped externally with magnets to keep bugs out on muggy nights. More often, though, I just sleep in my tent. I use pieces of blue tarp with a wire rod for curtains, secured to hooks attached above the window frame. They roll up when not in use and can be stowed anywhere.

Definitely would recommend Auto Ventshades or other high quality rainguards. They help a lot with stickiness on wet summer nights. Before I had them, I would just kick open the tailgate halfway (had a string to keep it there) and place my 12 volt fan in front of it. Mosquitoes had a blast, but I couldn't stand the humidity otherwise.

Skip the electric appliances, make an alcohol stove or get a butane or propane stove. Electric heat is created by a controlled short circuit. This is all fine and good with line electricity, but absolutely unacceptable with a starter battery. Primus stove with propane/butane fuel is most compact and high-performance, multi-burner propane or butane stoves are the most versatile, and alcohol stoves are the most inexpensive.

The electric heater you mentioned takes 1500 watts of power in an hour. Your battery has about 780 watt-hours, of which about 100 can be used regularly without ruining it. So, you could run your electric heater on battery for roughly 4 minutes before draining your starter battery to its minimum safe level. Your heater won't even last a half hour, let alone all night.

If you have any questions specific to SUV camping, feel free to drop me a message.