Towing capacity question

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whit30

Reaction score
Trailer is 7x14 cargo, weight 2010 # empty. I figure it will never go over 3500# or so even if I put running water/shower/flush toilet and fresh/gray/black tanks in it. Which I don’t plan to do. I figure I’ll at most carry 40 gal or so of fresh water and 4 batteries at most, right now there’s 2 wet cells on the tongue.

I’m looking at a Toyota 4 Runner. 4 liter V6.towing capicy rating 5000#. I thing the limit is more of a weight issue than the engines capabilities,since the 3.5 liter on the Tacoma pickup is rated at 6500. But the missus prefers the SUV vastLy over a pickup.

Anyway, will I be ok towing this across the country, or is it gonna struggle and overtax this thing on the big hills out West?

The weight of odds and ends that you throw in there can add up more than you think. Overloading is common.

Does Toyota offer a factory trans cooler? You'll need one. I would see if you can find a Toyota forum where you can get first-hand info about towing with those models.

with just your water and batteries you are up to 2,600lbs and that's not counting the water container(s) or any cabling or anything connected to the batteries. can you see how fast the weight adds up? now you have 900lbs left but wait, are you planning on driving off road? if so it's best not to run at max axle capacity or you WILL bend your axle. much better to run at 75% capacity that gives you 2,625lb capacity. highdesertranger

Wind resistance will be a concern if you plan to tow at speeds above 50 MPH. I towed a 6'8" x 8' with a 2013 4 cylinder manual trans Tacoma at about 2500 lbs. at lower speeds and had no problems but above 55 MPH gas milage dropped in half and lots of shifting. I pulled it with a 4.7 Sequioa and didn't even know it was there but fuel milage dropped about 5 MPG, from 18 to 13 MPG at 65MPH. We avoided steep climbs with the Tacoma and really had no problems while going 50 to 55MPH on 2 lane highways. My personal opinon is I would want at least a V8 so I could tow any where any time with no worries which is why I am gonna use a 3/4 ton Surburban for my next tow vehicle which will probably get 10 to 12 MPG but be easy and cheap to keep on the road as far as repairs. If you can afford them the Sequioa has been a great vehicle but the engines are basically $12,000 to replace if they ever go bad and no rebuilds to be found. Every 90,000 miles timing belt gets replaced at $700 to $1800 depending on what gets replaced and who does it. At about 250,000 miles $2,000 for replacement converters. Some of the 4.7 engines have gone a million miles with regular maintenance which is expensive but most seem to go at least 300,000 miles with no major problems and carry 7 people comfortably at 18MPG on the interstate at 80MPH. Town driving MPG drops to 15 or 16MPG. Just my thoughts several people tow Casita type trailers with Tacomas and Four Runners you might check those sites as well.

I'm so glad you asked this question! I bought a one ton van thinking no problem it will tow whatever! I believed that until I found out I have a 6600 lb towing capacity. Although I want a "small" travel trailer at about 20 feet I'm also looking for something older which means heavier. I'm going to end up pushing my van to it's limits. I can do it short term but long term I'm going to have to get something with a better tow capacity.

Tell your wife she's got to look at the long term. You can end up miserable financially. Pretty doesn't pay the bills when it comes to mechanical things.

If you do, you might consider a weight distribution hitch and electric brakes on the trailer. And plan well in order to distribute the weight correctly in the trailer, so it doesn't get squirrely on the highway. Toyotas are expensive. If this is just going to be a travel vehicle, I'd go with a large V8 domestic vehicle. They're not too expensive used and should be able to handle the mountains. I actually looked seriously in to buying a 1996 Buick Roadmaster. They were equipped with a 5.7L LT1 OB-II compliant engine. If it had the tow package and you used a weight distributing hitch, you could tow up to 7000 lbs!

This will have to double as my everyday vehicle. Travel will be2-3 mo out on f the yr. Trailer has elec brakes. I overestimated weight in the op. Most likely 2-4 batteries and 20 gal water is most I'd add. So 3500# max. I can get an anti sway hitch if needed. Aftermarket transmission coolers are readily available. I think we'll be fine with a 4Runner at 5000#.

Compromises are never perfect and Toyotas tend to be reliable even when abused so as compromises go sounds like a good one let us know how it works out. I personally don't like them so 2 older vehicles would be my choice a 2002 Camery 4 cylinder or newer because it has a timing chain not a belt and a 1973 to 1987 3/4 ton GM with 350 crate motor which would cost less than half what you will pay for a new Toyota.

Whit30 said:
This will have to double as my everyday vehicle. Travel will be2-3 mo out on f the yr. Trailer has elec brakes. I overestimated weight in the op. Most likely 2-4 batteries and 20 gal water is most I'd add. So 3500# max. I can get an anti sway hitch if needed. Aftermarket transmission coolers are readily available. I think we'll be fine with a 4Runner at 5000#.

If you do go with the 4runner, check out some of the 4Runner forums.  I had one for several years, so I was active a bit on the 4runner forums.  And there's tons of aftermarket stuff for them to turn them into really capable adventure vehicles.