Tonto National Forest flooding

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
that's horrendous, RIP :(

the flooding is no joke!

That's a horrible thing to happen! Little kids, too.

I grew up in the desert and I know this happens, to the point that I don't like being in low-lying areas ESPECIALLY in the desert. I've seen people in campgrounds that pitch their tents in the dry river beds because the higher ground is too rocky. I've warned all the ones I've seen, but the general opinion is, once again, It Won't Happen to Us.

One of the lessons we may take from this experience was mentioned in this excerpt from another piece covering the tragedy: (bold red emphasis mine)

Though the National Weather Service sent a flash flood warning over cellphone networks, service in the remote area is patchy at best. Officials say that unless they had a weather radio, the swimmers would have been unaware of the descending wall of water, churning black with cinders from a recent wildfire and choked with tumbling tree trunks and limbs.

"They heard a roar, and it was on top of them," said Fire Chief Ron Sattelmaier of the Water Wheel Fire and Medical District.

-from http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_FLASH_FLOODS_ARIZONA?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

Growing up in the desert southwest, I'm all too familiar with these types of tragedies. Such a shame those poor folks were caught in it!
Safety first y'all, stay away from the washes and keep a weather radio on hand if you're out in the boonies.

Another big part of the problem is that most people don't connect rain falling upcountry (miles away) as a danger to them, downhill, where the weather is good.

All from one family -- three generations. They rescued (alive) 4 from the same family. One still missing. Fires in the area contributed to the flash waters.

Yah Volvo wagon honeymoon trip camping with my new bride 1977 in a wash Nm. Woke up 2 AM water flowing through tent said " Honey it's time to move" she was not a happy camper, but glad we did.