Arizona National Forest closures

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrNoodly

Reaction score
All but one National Forest in Arizona have been closed to recreational use because of fire danger.

Kiabab, Coconino, Tonto, Prescott and Apache-Sitgreaves. That's everything from Phoenix to North Rim of the Grand Canyon/Vermillion Cliffs, and from Payson to Alpine. The Coronado NF in southeastern AZ is yet to be closed.

Until it rains and the fires are out.  Have to get back to you on the timeline.  Get comfortable, won't be soon.

shadowmoss said:
Until it rains and the fires are out.

And many of the forest roads and boondocking spots become mud bogs. :D

Monsoon appears to have started early here in SW Colorado. It's cooler, but wet. If the early start means anything it might be a very wet summer. And a great mushroom season.

Yesterday there were Kaibab forest rangers hosting an forest fire status information table at the Safeway in Williams AZ. They said the Rafael fire was nearly contained at the fires perimiter and mopping up operations are underway all along the perimeter. They were very optimistic that perimeter cointainment would be achieved today. The live presentation on Facebook last night regarding the Radael fire stated the same thing about that fire's current status

The rangers at the Safeway information table stated once containment was achieved  enough of forest service rangers who were temporarily assigned to the fire fighting could return to their normal duties and the camping in the Kaibab forest areas would reopen. They thought that would happen in just a few more days!!!!

They did not know the status of the Coconino forest district even though it is very close by. Which makes sense as they would not have attended any of the meetings for that area.

If you are on Facebook you can take a look at the live information meetings. Each fire has its own facebook public information page. Those live meetings are recorded for watching at a later time. But during the live presentation you can ask questions and get a response from the NFS or coordinating agencies involved in the presentation.

So no need to sit in your vehicle and wonder what is going on with the fire situations because you can participate in live presentations by the NFS if you wish to do so.

MrNoodly said:
"[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] A large portion of the Gila Wilderness is CLOSED."

https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/article/7493/60173/[/font][/SIZE]

But the forest is much larger than the Wilderness area. I was at the Cherry Creek CG on Sunday N. of Silver City and fellow campers had been up to the Mesa CG which is farther N. so it was open also. From the InciWeb site you can't tell how far those CGs are from the fire as there is no map scale but I'm guessing it's about 40 miles. I'm waiting for a return call from the Incident Contact on the expected status for that area as I will be heading up there again in a few days.

^
Update on the Johnson fire: Campgrounds and the Gila National Monument N. of Silver City are open and the fire is not expected to threaten those areas.
I'll be heading up there after the 4th. and then will visit the Cosmic CG (Dark Sky location) for some stargazing.

Good news!
The Coconino national forest has reopened today.
Others remain closed, according to AZfamily.com.
Best to contact the forest service for updated information.

^^^Stage II fire restrictions are in place with up to a $5,000 fine. Make sure you know what those rules are before entering! Rim Country News also put it on YouTube this morning.

Fire restrictions are in place for Nevada and California as well.