To Travel or Not To Travel?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Linda

Reaction score
Hi! I posted on the Women's Only Forum and it was suggested that I also post here - so here goes!

After months of deliberating, I finally figured out the RV for me to live in full time. The problem is that it a Class A and would not be prudent living on my disability. So I have decided on the Class C. I live in Wisconsin and there is not a lot in this area to choose from, especially the make that will make (pun intended) me happy. I was prepared to work with a dealer who would fly me there for the A that I wanted and was willing to take out a loan to purchase. Now I realize that especially as a newbe, I need to NOT take on add/itional debt.

Would you take what is available in your area, staying within budget (needs met but not many desires), so that you can look it over before buying? Or would you stick to your guns and travel to far away lands to find one that meets more desires, knowing it may be a waste of money if you travel the distance and don't like the shape it's in?

I need to be out of my sticks/bricks in less than a month so any words of wisdom will be appreciated.

Not much time to look, buy and outfit.

Myself, I was willing to travel anywhere (outside the rust belt) to get exactly what I wanted. If it meant a few trips to no avail, it was OK. It took at least three months to find what I wanted and it turned up in my area (14 miles away). It was not in as good a shape as I had hoped but I got it for a right price and began fixing it up. I still have it three years later and it is setup exactly like I want it.

With this short of a time frame, I think I would buy something that I could later resell when I found exactly what I was looking for.

If your budget is under say $40K, get a beater car and a tent for while you're shopping, stay in an occasional cheap motel once in a while.

What John, above, said.
If you're thinking of heading to the southwest this winter, there will be a plethora of possibilities en route and beyond.

Have you tried Pettibone Rv in La Crosse Wisconsin. I recently bought a toy hauler from them that needed to be outfitted for a wheelchair. I have been extremely happy with them. I found their prices reasonable and their service excellent

Seldom do people end up with the same type of RV that they started with, so don't spend big bucks for the first one. As far as travel ending up being a waste of time, Was going there fun?
So go as cheap as possible as you will always be able to spend more later. If you spend too much now, you may be stuck with it for a long time.

What these people said. I would avoid debt if at all possible, even if it meant cutting way back on what you might really want. Truth is, we can adapt to most things in time. Often so happily it would surprise us. But debt is a voracious monster, and it devours people who have a run of bad luck. You might be much better served by a very modest lifestyle and no debt, or a modest lifestyle and a nice emergency fund in the bank.

I'd start as small as you comfortably can, and focus on reliability and durability rather than bells and whistles.

First, because if you eventually sell, it might be easier to sell something average in great condition than something flashier but in worse condition.

Second because if you don't decide to sell, you might want to upgrade what you've got to make it more livable ... but upgrading something that won't last long wouldn't be rewarding.

Third, because durability, for instance, has day to day advantages. Like, a stronger axle means you can carry more stuff. Pretty important when some options have axles that can barely support a full tank of water plus a single person ... and then how would you hold your groceries and clothes? Even your full propane tanks?

You may not even know what you want until you're living this new lifestyle for a while, as some say above. In that case, wouldn't it be better to make a possible mistake, and eat a bunch of depreciation, on a small scale rather than a large scale?

Linda said:
Would you take what is available in your area, staying within budget (needs met but not many desires), so that you can look it over before buying? Or would you stick to your guns and travel to far away lands to find one that meets more desires, knowing it may be a waste of money if you travel the distance and don't like the shape it's in?
B. Stick to your guns. This is what I've done with cars, trucks, motorcycles, trailers, and RVs for nearly 50 years without regret vs settling on something because it was closer.