To the frozen Pizza ......

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SternWake

Reaction score
Subtly Hidden in the freezer of the house I am housesitting, Screaming Sicilian or not, you got washed down with Ample amount of cheap american swill(PBR), and were much more appreciated than whomever might have had the opportunity to consume you in the future.

That is all.

No dishes were dirtied in the making of this post.

All hail cardboard!

Should this be in the 'Ain't right' thread?

3 badges just seems wrong.

All hail copious quantities of cheap american beer!

PBR burps trounce IPA burps.

I think the forum could use a pizza and beer thread !

But "I Ain't Right" so who knows..............

I love pizza and beer and one of the things I am really looking forward to after I am nomadic is to drive around experiencing regional differences in both of those areas.

I think a good pairing in Michigan is pretty much any "Detroit style" deep dish pizza such as Buddy's Pizza paired with a nice cold Stroh's or Labatt's Blue (both similar to PBR)

I know NYC pizza is famous as is Chicago Deep Dish. California has a nice pizza tradition as far as I can tell. Any others that folks know about?

I love a good cardboard pizza!! Those little Totino's are probably my personal favorite! Not a beer drinker, but if I were it would be something like Zima ;-)

When one raids the fridge and freezer, you gets what you gets. Cardboard and swill is what you gets. :p

slynne said:
I love pizza and beer and one of the things I am really looking forward to after I am nomadic is to drive around experiencing regional differences in both of those areas.

I think a good pairing in Michigan is pretty much any "Detroit style" deep dish pizza such as Buddy's Pizza paired with a nice cold Stroh's or Labatt's Blue (both similar to PBR)

I know NYC pizza is famous as is Chicago Deep Dish. California has a nice pizza tradition as far as I can tell. Any others that folks know about?

I can't find a good pizza in CA.  I used to live in OH a long time ago and found a couple good ones there.  (Godfather's and a local one called Angelo's).  LOL  Haven't heard of Stroh's or PBR since living there decades ago.  I make my own low-carb, but high flavor pizza now. (Doing Ketogenic.)  It's called "Fat-head" pizza crust if anyone's interested.  I can post a recipe or a link.

AbuelaLoca said:
I love a good cardboard pizza!! Those little Totino's are probably my personal favorite! Not a beer drinker, but if I were it would be something like Zima ;-)

OMG!  I used to be THE biggest fan of Zima!  I was one of their first customers, and sadly their last since they stopped making it a few years ago.  I even have, which reminds me, a large bar light, t-shirt, and a blow up bottle of Zima.  Does this get me into the "you ain't right club"?  I don't have no stinking badges yet, LOL.

California Pizza is not so great, coming from NJ. ther e are a few places that try and mimick the thin crusty greasy goodness I grew up with, but iN general California Pizza is not very impressive, to me.

Does not mean that I do not eat it though.

I always loved a good frozen Pizza, and the 'screaming sicilian' is much better than tombstone or red baron. not sure the price though.

No oven in my van though, but I have made some pizzas in a skillet using tortillas and low heat and a good cover, but making a pizza quesadilla is faster and nearly as good.

I find it dangerous to keep such ingredients in my van though as once I build up some eating momentum, it is hard to stop, and I go all homer simpson on the good stuff.

Cast Iron Dutch Oven Pizza ,,ohhhhhhhhh yeahhhhhhhhhh !
Vidalia onions and black olives on mine

XFILE
Do people keep telling you that "You Ain't Right"?

Becoming a "You Ain't Righter" is easy , just go to the thread ,tell us a story of why "You Ain't Right" and we will all read the story , nod our heads and agree "You Ain't Right" and ,,,,if it is really totally "Ain't Right" you get a "Stinkin' Badge"

OH yeah,,,the Nominator can decide with no input from you at all.

Well, California is a big state and I have only tried a small number of pizza places. There is a place in Sebastopol called Mary's Pizza Shack that has decent, if highly overpriced like every thing else in that town, pizza :)

I am, in fact, drinking PBR while reading your post.

I still like my IPA burps. But where domestic swill is concerned, PBR is king.

Frozen pizza is one of the few things I miss while living in a van. I sometimes substitute with pizza rolls, which are easy to cook in a skillet and stirring around a lot.

In S&B I recently made homemade pizza and was surprised at how well it turned out.
Gotta admit it's not hard at all.

A strong IPA is nice to get the beer buzz started, but afterwards I prefer a lager or pilsner to reach the desired level and maintain. One of my friends is an IPA always type of guy, and he just gets sloppy. I despise the IPA aftertaste if I finish the night on those donated to my buzz by my friend. I am pretty much on my DosEquis kick if I want good beer. PBR at 55 cents a can is hard to pass up though.

For the skillet pizza, flour tortilla dropped into a hot skillet that has a bit of olive oil and some spices, like onion and garlic powder/salt burnt into the oil. brown the one side, then flip it over, turn down heat to very low, then tomato sauce and cheeses. Sometimes I will have some other hot mixings like caramelized onions or thin slivers of all beef hotdogs or perhaps sliced turkey. fresh sliced tomato

And hot sauce. I put hot sauce on pretty much everything, but cereal, and it is only because I never though of doing so until just now.

I really don;t buy tortillias anymore. The trader joes here sells Lavash bread. Ingredients stone ground whole wheat flour, water yeast salt. They come in a nice ziplock bag about 15x 11" which makes a nice garbage bag once emptied. The Lavash bread usually does not start to mold until a week after the date listed. Rectangular and a bit more fragile, but no preservatives. 1.99 for 10. Tortillas are cheaper but the ingredient list is long and unpronounceable and seem to last little longer.

I tried the whole wheat Lavash bread that TJ's sells in florida, but it was very different from here, Did not like nearly as much, but same ingredients.

I have learned the fine art of "frying-pan frozen pizza".

Works lots better with thin-crust (though, alas, I've always preferred thick-crust).

:)

PS--The Tostinos at Walmart doesn't work out well because for some odd reason the pizza is square and doesn't fit in the pan very well.

slynne said:

If you're a pizza connoisseur you must get to New Haven, Ct.  Pepe's or Sally's on Wooster St, Grand Apizza on Grand Ave or Modern Apizza on State St. Better yet - just go to all 4 :D !

mizjewels said:
If you're a pizza connoisseur you must get to New Haven, Ct.  Pepe's or Sally's on Wooster St, Grand Apizza on Grand Ave or Modern Apizza on State St. Better yet - just go to all 4 :D !

I never liked New York City pizza, though they swear theirs is the only true pizza - crusts are good but very meager on the sauce and chees;

Best pizza I've had is Red Rose in Springfield Mass. They have 6 guys working all the time it's so popular - bring young guys direct from Italy to work there.

I always liked Red Baron pizza. In the frozen section....

Dennis said:
I always liked Red Baron pizza.  In the frozen section....

I have heard it said that "frozen pizza is like sex--even if it's not done very well, it's still pretty good".

:)

Lenny, I think you need to go to the You Ain't Right thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk