To soon to fast

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I might have missed it and I apologize if I did, but why do you want to move from Oregon and go south?

IMO, this is exactly the wrong time of year to head south. I left Arizona about 1 month ago and I am letting the day time temp dictate how far north I go. I am almost to Oregon now. which is my final destination.

My advice is stay in Oregon it's getting hot down south.

highdesertranger

Gottoknow

highdesertranger 

I did my van dwelling down in Chula vista I was down their about ten years less than half in my van, so its what I know. One kind of goes with what one knows in a pinch. that's why I made the "hand holding " comment in the OP. Really don't want to give up my dogs, but I don't want to put them in harms way either. Chula vista weather is livable in the summer but not with dogs at least not the way i did it. Like I said" time" is not wanting to work with me. Right now here in Klamath it's a bit of a hot spell for Klamath around 80 suppose to rain later this week then it will be in the 60's. if I had more time I would of spent this summer gaining some experience in boondocking. its a different world when you dont have a extention cord with power.

You have already gotten some good advice here. But, I feel compelled to chime in here, if only because I spent a lot of time in Southern Oregon, as a youngster and up until I was 30.

The weather on the east slope of the Cascades and all points west is going to be the best it will be all year until fall. Increase you altitude if the weather gets too hot. You mentioned that you have camped some around Klamath Falls. Is there any reason you can't do what you did when you camped in the past? Plan a trip for a couple of days or a week, then come back to town and resupply. Lather, rinse, and repeat.

If you can afford your dogs at home, why wouldn't you be able to afford them on the road? As far as a good life is concerned, I've yet to meet a dog that doesn't love camping.

I think DLTooley has the right idea. If van camping is the solution to your housing situation, get out there and figure out what you need as you go along. It's just a camping trip. Don't think too far down the road or you might wind up spending money on stuff you don't need.

Gottoknow said:
My question is there any one on the forum willing to do a little hand holding and talk me through what I don't know that I don't know.

This was the purpose of the Caravans that Bob Wells created. Unfortunately the organizers shut them down in late March due to SARS-Cov-2 and have not yet announced their reopening plan.

The Caravans are how I got started - they are awesome. I camped with them many times and they showed me the ropes. The Caravans link is still a great immediate resource. Even though there are no scheduled Caravans, you can get the coordinates of past campsites with coordinates, elevations (for temperature control), area descriptions, and camper comments.

You could also post in Small Gatherings to see if someone will camp with you. This was supposed to be a temporary replacement for the Caravans while they are shutdown.

The camping then resupplying ideal was my plan to take this summer learn and buy smart. I'm so tight with money its a wonder I don't squeak when I walk. Been camping at Eagle Ridge, Fourmile quarry both out hwy 140, then out hwy 66 along the Klamath river, but the weather has just now warmed enough to camp with just house gear. I may have let my self get a little soft. The trailer problem is their pricing me out, it's right on the boarder of is it worth it. My dog do have a yard. But thanks to those of you that have chimed in I'm thinking because I'm a loner I get wrapped in my own thoughts and make things harder than it needs to be. You know that mountain out of a mole hill type of thinking. I think I will just take the good advice and go camping.