To Glue Latex Mattress?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TaiChiBird

Reaction score
Greetings. 
I can't find cot size latex mattress online. So I'm wondering if this is feasible:
 -Get a 3" queen latex mattress topper
 -Cut into two 30x75 pieces
 -Glue them together. 

First, does it make sense to do it? 

Has anyone done something like that? Seems foam mattress counts for 80% of the mattress out there. I want to avoid foam. Also looked at futon but not appealing to me. So latex seems viable.

Any thought? Suggestion? 

Thank you.

Encase them on top each other inside a cheap Walmart sleeping bag. Makes a pillow top mattress cover. Stitch the opening and zipper closed.

I put a memory foam 2" topper on my latex 10" mattress. I went to JoAnn's Fabric and bought glue there for the purpose (not cheap). I had to cut 2" off the side of the full mattress for it to fit where it needed to go. This was a blessing as the now thicker mattress fit in the full mattress cover. I glued because I didn't want the two layers to shift from each other.

OK, call me a princess but I don't sleep near as well at the S&B's on a high dollar 15" coil spring mattress. When I go to sleep in the van, I wake up refreshed in the morning and I haven't moved at all.

Bullfrog and B&C both have good points.  Personally, I've lost too many brain cells gluing foam together!  Maybe you could try stacking them up to see whether shifting will be a problem for you before gluing.

My bed is multiple layers of different materials, most of which are held together with double-sided duct tape.  A latex topper (love it!) is in its own cover, and everything is zipped together in a self-made cover with a long zipper on three sides of the top edge.  On top of that, I have a premium mattress pad, which is the only things that shifts.  (Two reasons for that:  1) the head of the bed can be raised; and 2) my husband tends to scoot to the foot to get out of bed.)

B and C - so you’re the one who felt that P under that stack of mattresses I was wondering who did that. I haven’t slept in a bed in about 10 years since I injured both shoulders in series of falls caused by the brain tumor. I got in the habit of sleeping in a recliner and that’s what I have in the van. Unfortunately The recliner in the van needs replaced soon. I do sleep well on the thing. Don’t let that little pea interrupt your sleep tonight. Oh I could go on with a joke about P and a mattress but I’ll leave it alone.

It is never good to have to get rid of a chair you have just now gotten perfectly broken in. Did it take you a long time to get used to sleeping in the recliner? Seems that would be ideal both as a chair and a bed in place of the passenger seat maybe?

I started in the recliner when my shoulders were in pain laying down so I didn’t have much choice. I got so used to it that I never went back to the bed. I found that I’m not the only one who sleeps in recliner as we get older something about it is comfortable. I drape a sheet over the whole thing and change that sheet on laundry day and use some for breeze it’s sort of fresh in the fabric underneath. Takes up a lot less space in the van than a bed does. But I don’t have any storage under it. Sometimes I spend too much time in the chair got to teach myself to get my behind up and moving.

I have modified and glued together about 5 different mattresses. Squeeze it down thin with a 2x4 and run a fillet knife down it. Now spread about 3 or 4 ounces of Walmart Tacky Fabric glue on the two halves and glue them together, I now take a queen size flat sheet and encapsulate the two halves together to protect them. Lay the 6" mattress in the center and fold up all the sides and trim nice and neat and tacky glue them together. I treat this like the protective fabric of a mattress never to be washed again as it it glued together so I am careful with it and keep it clean.

Thank you all!! 
If I don't have to glue anything, that'll be so much better. I though it has to be glued. Sewing is more acceptable. :)