To AC or Not to AC

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roaddog

Reaction score
I'm trying to make a decision on whether to have an air conditioner installed on my van's roof. I plan to have solar power and an attic fan installed. I will be doing some boondocking. The guy at Sportsmobile said that the AC would run for only about one hour on the power stored in the batteries. I like my environment to be cool, and sometimes, I will be in Texas where the summers are blazing hot. Any advice would be appreciated.

With a vent, AC, and panels it will be real crowded on that roof. Have you looked and measured? How much solar can fit with both a vent and an AC?

I would not consider AC without a generator or shore power.

GotSmart said:
With a vent, AC, and panels it will be real crowded on that roof.   Have you looked and measured?  How much solar can fit with both a vent and an AC?

I may have to make do with the panels and attic fan. Sportsmobile has no appointments available until early 2016, so I want to make my decision and then make a reservation. Thank you for your advice.

Sincerely,
roaddog

Keep in mind the opening for an A/C unit and a fan is the typically the same, 14"x 14". Place the opening so you can add either.

I found these videos helpful. Mostly you need to consider your power needs. Some have managed to power a 500 watts window mounted unit, with a 1000 watt generator.

I've run across more folks wanting to get rid of A/Cs than those who think they want to install one.

There are some give and takes in this lifestyle. If you want A/C shore power or a genny is pretty much the answer in a van.

We try to go where the weather suits our clothes ;)

LoupGarou said:
Keep in mind the opening for an A/C unit and a fan is the typically the same, 14"x 14". Place the opening so you can add either.

While that's true, keep in mind that there is a hell of a weight difference between the two.  On Cargo Trailers, if you are going to add A/C, they will typically reinforce the roof around the opening by doubling up on the roof braces on each side (an extra cost option).  I don't know if a van builder like Sportsmobile does that or not, but it would probably be worth checking.

Without sufficient bracing to handle the weight, eventually the roof sags a bit and water starts to puddle there, and eventually starts to leak past the A/C's roof seal.

Regards
John

bindi&us said:
I've run across more folks wanting to get rid of A/Cs than those who think they want to install one.

There are some give and takes in this lifestyle. If you want A/C shore power or a genny is pretty much the answer in a van.

We try to go where the weather suits our clothes ;)

To my mind, that's just too limiting.  There are places I want to go and things I want to see that are just going to be too hot to be comfortable.

For example, ever since I saw THE WORLD'S FASTEST INDIAN I've wanted to go to the Bonneville Salt Flats to watch the world speed runs.  That only happens at certain times of the year, and unfortunately, it's hotter n Hell there - or hotter than **I'M** willing to put up with - when that goes down.

For me, an A/C and a generator are non-negotiable.

Regards
John

I live and camp in Texas and I would not be able to travel very much without the A/C and generator that I have.  It always seems much hotter than the ambient temperature due to the humidity.  At least with A/C, you can pull some of the humidity out while cooling the van.  Fans won't do it.

Sometimes when at the beach during summer (before it gets over 100 degrees!), I have to spray water on myself in order for the fan to do any good at cooling me off!    But being outside is worth it!

LoupGarou said:

The opening may be 14 X 14, but the footprint is much larger than that.  My fan footprint is 15 X 15, but the AC footprint is closer to 24 X 36.  That depends on the unit.  Placement of the AC depends on the way the roof is constructed.

For an A/C unit you'll need to run wires for both AC and DC power. The AC power will require a hot, neutral and ground. The DC power will require +12vdc, ground and control line for the thermostat. You'll also need to get DC power to the thermostat.

I've wired a lot of 115 and 230 volt ACs in my life and I,ve never heard of running a 12 volt circuit to one.Even central units that require a 12 volt circuit for a remote thermostat have a transformer to supply the 12volts.I have a 5000 btu window unit mounted thru the back wall of our 16 ft. camper and run it using a Harbor Freight 900 watt genny.Works great.The AC was given to me and the genny cost $79.

Don't confuse residential A/C units with those designed for RV's.

Heck, I'm thinking about removing my vans factory AC. I just don't see myself using it and I don't want to haul an AC that I barely use all over the country and up mountains.

(But that's a different subject, as while you're driving, you wouldn't desire air conditioning as much as while you're stopped and just hanging out )

personally I am just tired of being hot. I grew up in central Michigan without A/C and it was miserable. It gets into the 90s and 100s here and even though it's a dry heat, it sucks. At work I often have no choice about it and have had heat stroke more than once because of it. Honey will always say we don't need it but when picking out the trailer I heard it has air conditioning right? When buying a generator it was "it will run the air conditioning right? Not for Honey of course but let those old dogs pant so much as twice and I'd better have a button to push. a string to pull or SOMETHING or Honey and the dogs will be sitting in the truck running ITS A/C.

If your lifestyle means you will live above 5000 feet in mountains in summer. Then you may not need AC. If you plan on any flat land south of the Arctic circle you are going to get 90 degrees for a month every year.

Ha Ha!
I'm currently in the mountains in NM at 6500' and right now it's 95 in the shade!

I was up on top of the Continental Divide at 8000' ft. a couple days ago and it was 90 with higher temps forecast.

I have one of those Coleman pod AC's on top of the camper, but left the genny at home this trip. The AC is coming off at some point anyway to make room for another solar panel on the roof rack. I may as well get used to not having it.

Right now it's very tolerable sitting here in my underwear with just 2 fans going.  :D

It is usually 10 degrees cooler at 10,000 ft so when Denver at 5280 is 105, it's 95 up there.