Tire Question? Advice needed, Please

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Txjaybird

Reaction score
:s  Friday I visited 4 places looking for tires.  One of them twice and one was a GMC dealership.

I was quoted previously on some Cooper 235s/15s Discoverys 4 for $471.28 out the door.  The guy put a 235 on the Safari and said it fits but a little tight, maybe.   Yeah  right  :huh: the space from the tire to the edge of the outside wheel well was as wide as the tip of my little finger.  I passed.

I'd like bigger 6ply Lt tires however I just am not up to all the waiting, what if's and maybes.  Like if I Go to a bigger tire do I really need different "offset wheels?

The 4th place I went to was Road Mart.  The manager there actually walked to the Safari and looked it over.  He said shorter and wider tires would mean I'd need new wheels, something about the way the front suspension is on the Safari.

I just want tires I can afford.........Now.  I am not planning on  a lot if any extremily rocky rough roads.  This a not a 4x4 pickup truuk or lifted big 4x4 Bronco like I've driven in the past.

What I'm thinking of going with is Firestone 215/75/15 Destination LE2, 60k warrenty.  4 out the door with Road Hazard and a front end alignment, if needed is $550.

On the Aliner at the same place   3 x 205/75/14 6ply trailer tires $180, no charge to check the bearings & $50 per wheel to repack if needed.

So maximum for Safari & Aliner will be $830.  
Queenie and I could then go on a short shake down safari........WHOOPEE X 2 :D
I'll still need a spare for the van

Any suggestions or advice about this situation will be appreciated.  I am just so tired and bogged down with things to do I need to  " Pick my Battles".  I think more important ones are looming than what tires to buy.  I hope to make a final decision before Sunday.

Jewellann

Well, when you go for wider than stock tires on the front. there is the possibility that the inside of the tire may contact something when you turn the wheel sharply.  A different wheel with more offset moves the whole wheel out away from the car to allow extra clearance.  However, the extra offset,which gives you a wider track as well, may put some extra strain on your wheel bearings.

Per this site, 205/75R15 and 215/75R15 were what the factory used on this year and model, and you are always safe sticking with stock sizes. Anything much larger MAY require new wheels or other modifications.

https://tiresize.com/tires/GMC/Safari/

It's almost a cinch bet that if they "check" you bearings on your trailer, they are going to "discover" that they need packing.  Make sure they adjust the brake shoes on the trailer when they do this for you.

I put a set of all terrains on my F350 in Nov. Mine are larger, but I used Mavis, even got a discount from manufacturer. Due to select tires, it was $1200 for 4 tires and installation. If you havent checked out mavis, might be worth it.

:) Thanks for your input.  This Safari is a whole different animal that what I'm used to.  The Bronco was already running 32s/10.50s if I remember correctly when I bought it.  Our 1st 3/4 ton was a new 1971 Ford Custom Camper Special.   I've had 2 other 1 tons and a few 3/4 tons since then.  I ran LTs on the Ranger without a problem except from a few tires guy's who would always tell me "lady this is rated for passenger tires".  I had it for 13yrs, finally I would just say "I want LT  if they fit put'em on please".  I think they were trying to make sure I even knew the difference between LT and passenger tires.

I told the Road Mart Mgn. that I'm pretty sure the Aliner has Buddy Bearings.  He said he'd take a look at 'em when I take it in.  I need to find the paper work that came with it.  Anymore I would'nt know a Buddy Bearing if it jumped off the trailer and bit me  :D

Jewellann

its a bearing buddy. it only lets you grease the outside bearing, you have one on the inside also that you need to pack by hand, if you have never done this get it done, it will need it

Walmart usually has good prices on tires. plus they are everywhere so if you need a road hazard claim when on the road it's easy. highdesertranger

stick with the stock tire sizes. don't second guess the designer.