Tips on training a dog to be around other dogs?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gunny said:
If I may interject one (to me) very important command to teach your dog is STOP or STAY. I let my cat out on a short leash, always with me present, and enjoy the fresh air and occasional visit.

Funny, absolutly this is such a reasonable request, that your dog can stop or stay if off a leash and around other animals.  This is a big part of what field my fear is I couldn't live with my self very well if my dog hurt another animal and I could have prevented it with a leash, proper training or avoidance.

Yogidog said:
Funny, absolutly this is such a reasonable request, that your dog can stop or stay if off a leash and around other animals.  This is a big part of what field my fear is I couldn't live with my self very well if my dog hurt another animal and I could have prevented it with a leash, proper training or avoidance.

Darn auto correct gunny not funny

Yogidog said:
Her history is, I got her from the shelter at two months, she ran wild with a Labrador for three years in new Mexico, she and I traveled for two and a half years and no socialization. She did fine with my dad's dog.  I am talking nice to her when she starts barking at other dogs petting her both relaxing telling us they are good dogs. Works sometimes if not I say down and make her lay down til they pass.

She is doing great with going in places, people hardly know she is there. Couldn't do this a couple of weeks ago.

In past she has been nice till dog gets close then lunges and scares the other dog and us!
Thanks so much
Wishing alla good day

Hey there! You said she's "doing great going in places" I really hope you aren't taking her in stores and stuff! Especially since she's dog aggressive. I would say consult with a trainer or behaviorist. Also if you are taking her in stores I highly recommend you rethink that. If she goes after a service dog in the store and 1. Injures or traumatizes the SD you are financially responsible for any training that may be needed because of being harassed as well as the cost of a new SD. 2. Interfering with a service dog which depending on your state ranges from a fine to a felony. 3. Dog may miss a life saving alert and handler may be hospitalized or even die.

Also I'm not attacking I just noticed that and decided to try and clarify and spread some not well known knowledge ^_^

Odyssey said:
Have you tried dog parks? What do you think of them?

We sometimes go after a vigorous walk, before her nap time when she is less likely to fail. At the DP I show up with my giant dog and before we get out of the van, I ask if owners or their dogs can handle a huge dog. Sometimes they say sure, and sometimes the other dog people say no and leave. Or we don't stay if it doesn't feel right. It's always different. 

The ones that do stay get a laugh out of the comedy of size difference and that's all cute fun until mine decides to stand on their dog or they develop a toy ownership issue. I carry a small pocket water gun, spray my dog, corral her and we pack up to go home. Not every time, sometimes no negative issue at all. 

I'm watching these types of threads to get all the help there is. I can't keep paying dog trainers to tell me how lousy I am to have so little control over my animal. I don't respond well to belittling criticism nor will I pay for it. At home we do just fine. Commands are followed, we train in tiny time increments, lots of praise for obeying me and we quit when she doesn't. Or the squirrels and rabbits arrive. 

It's when we put the training to the test in the real world and suddenly she's dumber than a sack of rocks. I get embarrassed and frustrated.

We spend a lot of time with her just sniffing the DP while I seem to use up a large supply of doodoo bags picking up after the previous visitors. Yuckamadoo and we don't go very often.

Maybe increase the distractions slowly? Work on commands on the sidewalk in front of your house then training sessions on a walk around the block and slowly work up to a dog park? I personally love clickers and got a $2 one from petco and keep it on my keychain. My dog def learned better with the clicker. She's 10 and she can do a pretty long down/stay and I can toss treats at her and 4/5 times she completely ignores it. I've also taught her "touch" and used that so she nudges me when my anxiety level goes up. Also do lots of research on the alpha theory and how it's been scientifically proven wrong and the lasting damage it can do to dogs. I say research it them you can decide if it something you want to use :)

The problem with dog parks is that stupid people take their dogs there. One idiot with an aggressive dog can undo all your work. If I ever went to a dog park again, I would carry bear spray, and NO, I AM NOT JOKING. (And don’t ask me if I would use it on the dog or the owner – I’m adaptable, okay?)

[Note: bear spray is usually 1-2% oleoresin capsicum – this amount is a ‘teaching tool’ for bears and dogs, and it does work. Human self-defense pepper sprays can be up to 10-20% oleoresin capsicum – perfectly good for human trash, but too strong for animals.]

When in training mode, it would be better to arrange meetings with decent dogs, and ‘show’ your dog that others are okay. This will also lower your own apprehension, which your dog can read.

Basic obedience training is a must! Sit, down, stay, come, at the very least. If you don’t, how is the dog going to know what you want in a high-stress situation? You can improve the situation by telling the dog what you want; otherwise, she’s just guessing, and dogs often guess wrong (just like people). All of my old dogs were still learning new tricks – yours can, too.

Chasing is instinct. You can control it, but you aren’t going to eliminate it. But just think: if our economy goes to ‘ell like many people think it will, you will have a valuable meat-procuring associate. Squirrel stew, squirrel tacos, squirrel shish kabob, squirrel burgers, etc.

Dragonfly, is that a Malinois? I’ve had Belgians for 45 yrs, but only Tervs and Groens. The breeders have bred the Mals to be such nervous, high-drive dogs, that it can be hard to find a decent one. I don't want a 'Maligator'.

Yes trainchaser, Ivy is a Malinois. She has lots of energy but she isn't mean aggressive. She also gets along with small dogs. She is predatory toward cats. I haven't solved that serious problem yet.
Dragonfly

dragonflyinthesky said:
Yes trainchaser, Ivy is a Malinois. She has lots of energy but she isn't mean aggressive. She also gets along with small dogs. She is predatory toward cats. I haven't solved that serious problem yet.  
Dragonfly

She's an absolute sweety!

Her prey drive isn't as high as I would have expected it to be, she's easy to call off a rabbit or anything else she takes off after in the bush - either that or she's smart enough to know when she's losing the chase..... :D :D

Latest posts