Tips for cargo van door locks

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snooker

Reaction score
Still setting my van up before I take off, Saturday somebody pried open my drivers window to open the door, window all messed up now.
Any tips on to secure each door in a cargo van would be appreciated.

If they are that determined they will just break a window. I would put it in a storage yard where you have access or leave now and build out on the road. Offer to hire someone's large dog to sleep in it at night till you do but don't park it where it can be easily broken into unattended.

Here is a video of L&A installing extra locks on a cargo van. Not sure if extra locks says "don't mess with this van" or says "treasure inside". Locks info is below the video.

I like the idea of a canine defender, or just sleep in the van yourself.  You could also get noisemakers for the doors etc but then have alarms going off all the time when you forget. 

Are you in a high crime urban area or rural area? 
-crofter

I used to haul expensive cars in an enclosed double decker semi trailer to Lerado Texas and used a zip tie to keep the rear doors secured. Never had a problem until the company changed insurance companies and required we buy a super expensive huge chrome lock, had two trailers stolen and quit.

I just got some cheap motion detector activated solar powered lights for my house, and am going to stick one on my van build with double sticky tape. Might be worth considering....link benefits HOWA: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B071HW515B/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

bullfrog, They wouldn't be stealing those trailers with this bad boy. I have one and it is insane..now that's a lock: https://www.taylorsecurity.com/abus...wA1019Qs60XSqXrg4nEn_ROBSjUmaX1saAjQvEALw_wcB

No padlock (or any lock for that matter) is un-pickable.

Anyone with lock -picking skills can make a short work of the best of them.
I trust better a safe location and motion detector lights coming on.

snooker said:
Still setting my van up before I take off, Saturday somebody pried open my drivers window to open the door, window all messed up now.
Any tips on to secure each door in a cargo van would be appreciated.

The van I bought had 2 heave duty bolt locks on the side cargo door and the rear cargo door. And a viper alarm system on the entire van.

If you can' afford the alarm system, here is an idea...you could buy the bolt locks (the ones on my van are made by the American lock company) for both sets of cargo doors, and then create some kind of flashing blue light on the dashboard so it at least LOOKS like you have an alarm system.

bullfrog said:
I used to haul expensive cars in an enclosed double decker semi trailer to Lerado Texas and used a zip tie to keep the rear doors secured. Never had a problem until the company changed insurance companies and required we buy a super expensive huge chrome lock, had two trailers stolen and quit.
i'm going to try this on my cargo van. within a few months my van has : been hit and run, $9000 worth of damage. then someone stole the catalytic, and tried to hot wire it, $5000? i'm not sure, as i pay a $1000 deductible. 

my insurance guy said everyone is busting into cargo vans. reason: tools, etc.

I would get out of that neighborhood PDQ. In fact I probably would never have stopped there. Highdesertranger

Good reason to have a minivan.
Nobody with any pride/money has a minivan, ha ha.
Thieves would lose status points stealing it and other thieves would downvote them for even considering a B&E into one.

Thanks for the ideas, gonna figure something out, might be time to get another dog, its been awhile

doublegregg said:
i'm going to try this on my cargo van. within a few months my van has : been hit and run, $9000 worth of damage. then someone stole the catalytic, and tried to hot wire it, $5000? i'm not sure, as i pay a $1000 deductible. 

my insurance guy said everyone is busting into cargo vans. reason: tools, etc.

I guess I'll be putting the bolt locks back on my van. Thanks for the info.

Giggles said:
The van I bought had 2 heave duty bolt locks on the side cargo door and the rear cargo door. And a viper alarm system on the entire van.

If you can' afford the alarm system, here is an idea...you could buy the bolt locks (the ones on my van are made by the American lock company) for both sets of cargo doors, and then create some kind of flashing blue light on the dashboard so it at least LOOKS like you have an alarm system.
think i am gonna go see about an alarm system, good idea, also some kind of bolts like you mention for the doors. I still have not gotten on the road yet, toward the end of the month. Still setting the van up. I have no idea where i am going, isnt that funny, i dont have a clue, lol

Well where are you starting from? Maybe we can pool our experiences and send you on your way to see some cool sites.

I love the funny old roadside attractions and roadsideamerican.com has some fun things listed. They also have a cool interactive app that I use.

Want to see the largest bottle of ketchup? Largest ball of string? Lots of funny things on there and I’ve found most are free.

I had a good security system on the pickup in AZ. It tripped a lot, due to movement from temperature changes. The pickup also had anti theft so attempts were always foiled by the anti theft- the thing would not move when hotwired. 
-crofter

Cammalu said:
Well where are you starting from?  Maybe we can pool our experiences and send you on your way to see some cool sites.

I love the funny old roadside attractions and roadsideamerican.com has some fun things listed. They also have a cool interactive app that I use.

Want to see the largest bottle of ketchup?  Largest ball of string?  Lots of funny things on there and I’ve found most are free.
Starting from southwest florida, my lease is up at the end of the month and I am starting off then. I still have quite a few things to do to the van yet, I have no idea where i am going or where to go, I am just taking off, dont want to deal with all the stress of this world anymore, living on the road seems like an awesome thing to do. Looking for new things to see instead of the same old same old, ya know what i mean

did anyone mention a battery cut off switch? i'd like to put one on my van. it might have prevented the perps from stealing my van (instead they stole the catalytic and busted the ignition --- who said thieves don't have good senses of humor.... ). but also, a cutoff would prevent drain on the battery - like if you stayed somewhere for two weeks or over... on modern vans, there's a certain drain on the battery.... on older ones, less so.

it would be nice to have a cutoff, but then an auxillary battery, to power a fake led on the dash... anyone know how much power that would need? maybe not much, but what do i no......

snooker said:
Starting from southwest florida,  my lease is up at the end of the month and I am starting off then.  I still have quite a few things to do to the van yet,  I have no idea where i am going or where to go,  I am just taking off,  dont want to deal with all the stress of this world anymore, living on the road seems like an awesome thing to do.  Looking for new things to see instead of the same old same old, ya know what i mean

Pick a theme.

Follow the 70s - https://rvlifestyle.com/70-and-sunny-all-year-moving-with-the-weather/

Hotsprings and/or waterfalls

National parks/monuments in a particular area

Ghost towns

In a normal year (yes, we're gonna have one at some point) - art fairs, music festivals

Heritage sites

Museums

Visiting friends and relatives, especially those you haven't seen in a while

Etc.