Tiny kitten

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VanKitten

Reaction score
Hso, today the question of traveling with a pet was decided by fate.

The place where the RV is parked while I work on it has many cats.   And, as a result, has many kittens.   All outdoor cats and wild.   Today a dog came and killed a mom cat and one of her kittens...another of her kittens took off under a shed.   The last little kitten seem very slow...I think it is sick.   Never saw the other one again all day.   People will keep looking....it is too young to survive on its own.

Took her with me. (Little girl)   Bottle fed it (yeah that tiny) and took it to a vet.   Yep..it is sick.  So started her on antibiotic.    Looks like she and I are a pair.   Estimated to be 3 weeks old.   She will be my constant companion now...with feedings every 3-4 hours for the next week at least.

So...the question has been settled   

photo.JPG

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    460.5 KB
Roaming Kat has a Rescue Cat!

Hey, you're in good company, the cat I had for years was a rescue animal...she was the best cat I ever had or knew...

Just remember: dogs have owners, but cats have 'staff'...

;)

She is pure bred alley.

Oddly...her Mom was white. The siblings (at least the two I saw) were: one white (killed by the dog also) and one black and white (tuxedo). All of the adult cats around are either black, grey, white or the black$white tuxedo type.

This little one has most of the markings of a Ragdoll. But..people I spoke with never saw this sort of markings from one of those cats before.

I think her name is Smidge. She is just too tiny to be a full fledged smear. A smudge seems more like a boys name.

My kitten, 2years old in Sept. was found after her mother had been run over. The mother was a feral neighborhood cat, a lot of neighbors fed her. Rowdy (she lives up to her Name) was about 2 weeks old, with the help of a friend and his Granddaughter we got her healthy and home with me.

My vet told me , and she was right, that without littermates kittens don't learn boundaries as far as behavior. She has never been hurt in any way but she is the biggest scardy cat around. Most definitely not a lap cat but has started laying her head on my leg while asleep. Patience an lots of love. In my case a few scratches but who said life was easy.

VanKitten said:
Hso, today the question of traveling with a pet was decided by fate.
<-------->
So...the question has been settled  

Aaaaw, your new little buddy and traveling companion. :)

You don't always make the choices -- sometimes fortune chooses you. ("mew")

Sounds similar to how Jax came into Nomadic Fanatic's (Eric) life; ... might be a feline conspiracy for spreading their world domination plans ....

I adopted a kitten on July 5th (estimated to be about 5 wks old). dug him out of a wood pile :). Brought him home and he took one look and decided he owned the place. Terrorized my big dog :huh:. His name is Beasty (that says it all :exclamation:)

Well, now the question of travel with her

I will train her to a leash...but, cats like getting outside to hang out. Obviously, I can't let her roam. So, I am looking for ideas on play pens that are large enough yet portable. Not much space to carry. Also...very concerned about dogs. I often see dogs off leash...this could be a major issue with a cat outside....with or without her being on a leash. Cats will react as attacked when a dog comes around...so, even without intent to harm, just a loose dog could be a serious problem for me and the kitten.

Other cat owners...how do you handle this?

I am aiming for a people-sized mesh tent with a roof and floor. Costco had one I liked for $89, but now it looks like it's no longer available. It needs a roof for shade and rain, and a floor for security. And if it's buggy, it would be big enough for you, too. Also have a can of bear spray handy for dogs, etc.

You'll see some small pet tents. But if you have to go inside to pick up the cat, you'll be doing it bent over, and that can provide opportunities for escape.

Part of the reason I am holding off on starting my nomadic life is I am currently owned by 4 cats.  I have a pure bred maine coon rescue, a siamese/burmese mix rescue, a maine coon/russian blue mix rescue, and a ragdoll/bengal mix rescue.  I plan on becoming a van dweller, but with 4 cats it would be rather difficult and unfair to them.  I will NOT re-home them so I may go with a travel trailor or a *gasp* class c at some point in the future.

Caution: The first one doesn't have a floor. Cats out, predators in.