Ticks and fleas

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Imladris

Reaction score
Have any of you nomadic pet lovers ever had a problem with ticks or fleas getting in your vehicle?

Not yet, but I use First Shield. You can pick it up at any Petsmart/Banfield location. It protects against fleas, ticks, and mosquito's. It costs less than $15 per vial and the treatment lasts a month.

<P>When I lived in California, with cats (not in my vehicle) I had a flea problem that wouldn't die.&nbsp; That was 25 years ago.&nbsp; Flea control is so much easier now.&nbsp; It shouldn't be a problem.&nbsp; If the problem already exists, start bombing and bathing (the animals) and wash everything.&nbsp; Vacuuming is the best control!</P>

<font face="Arial"><a target="_blank" href="http://www.bayer-ah.com/products.cfm">Advantage II</a> - (cheap off eBay) now contains a second ingredient that kills the eggs and the larva. It breaks the fleas life cycle so that bombs, sprays, powders, etc are not necessary. It works on adults within an hour. They start dropping off paralyzed or dead.<br>Note: It also controls lice on Dogs (not cats).<br><br>I can't I can't breathe around the chemicals in bombs, sprays &amp; powders, neither can the cats with their smushed-in faces. <br>I'm not a fan of having to use pesticides on my pets, but the alternative is flea allergies: rashes, possible infection and skin problems from flea bites, flea-borne diseases and tapeworms</font>.<br><br><font face="Arial">The Black plague (Bubonic plague) transmitted by fleas, still exists in the southwest USA. Sure, we have antibiotics now, but do/will you and your pet have access to those drugs?</font><br><br><font face="Arial">Helpful $$ saving tip from my Vet : </font><font face="Arial"><u>Dog and Cat <b>Advantage II</b> is the exact same formula.</u> Buy the large large dog package - it's cheaper. Get yourself a syringe with NO needle to measure. Advantage goes ON the skin, not under!!<br><br>(1 ml = 1 cc)<br><br><u>Here's what the pkgs contain:</u><br>Dogs 11-20 lbs (teal) = 1 ml<br>Dogs 21-55 lbs&nbsp; (red) = 2.5 ml<br>Dogs 55+ lbs (blue) = 3 ml<br><u><br>Here's how much to use, per weight of pet:<br><br></u><b>DOGS </b>(puppies MUST be over 7 wks)<br>0.4ml = 0-10 lbs<br>0.8ml = 11-20#<br>1.2ml = 21-30#<br>1.6ml = 31-40#<br>2.0ml = 41-50#<br>2.4ml = 51-60#<br>2.8ml = 61-70#<br>3.2ml = 71-80#<u><br></u></font><br><font face="Arial"><b>CATS</b></font> <font face="Arial">(kittens MUST be over 8 weeks)</font><br><font face="Arial">up to 9 lbs = .4 ml<br>10 lbs - 20 lbs = .8 ml<br></font><br>

New discovery! Vinegar! Cheap, safe, kills ticks and fleas, and the smell dissipates quickly.

<b>Urban legend, perpetuated by the internet.<br>Please ask a competent veterinarian. <br></b>My vet keeps a baby food jar of vinegar with fleas swimming around in it, because so many people keep hearing this Myth. <br>He also has a jar with a flea collar in it - fleas jumping all over the collar like it's not even there. And another jar with lavender oil on a bit of rag in it (another myth). Yup, fleas just a hoppin all over that, too.<br><br>Vinegar does NOT kill fleas or ticks or lice. The nasty smell of vinegar will temporarily repel them if (DILUTED) in the pets bath. Try pouring some undiluted vinegar into your own eyes, nose, mouth or a cut before you do it to your pet.<br><b>I would beg of everyone NOT to go practicing experiments on your poor pets just because a thousand people cut/pasted the same nonsense all over the internet.</b><br><br>Urban legend: "Cedar kills fleas". No it does not, but cedar oil <i>is</i> toxic to cats, rabbits, some amphibians and some rodents. Cedar oil only <i>repels</i> fleas, and the oil from cedar even gives some short-haired dogs terrible skin rashes. (Pits, Dobes, Chihuahuas, etc)<br><br>Urban legend: "once you cut an onion you have to throw it away because it grows deadly bacteria" &lt;----Urban Legend. <br><br>Ten thousand repetitions don't make it a fact.<br><br><br><br><br>

4x4chvy said:
Urban legend, perpetuated by the internet. Please ask a competent veterinarian. My vet keeps a baby food jar of vinegar with fleas swimming around in it, because so many people keep hearing this Myth. He also has a jar with a flea collar in it - fleas jumping all over the collar like it's not even there. And another jar with lavender oil on a bit of rag in it (another myth). Yup, fleas just a hoppin all over that, too. Vinegar does NOT kill fleas or ticks or lice. The nasty smell of vinegar will temporarily repel them if (DILUTED) in the pets bath. Try pouring some undiluted vinegar into your own eyes, nose, mouth or a cut before you do it to your pet. I would beg of everyone NOT to go practicing experiments on your poor pets just because a thousand people cut/pasted the same nonsense all over the internet. Urban legend: "Cedar kills fleas". No it does not, but cedar oil is toxic to cats, rabbits, some amphibians and some rodents. Cedar oil only repels fleas, and the oil from cedar even gives some short-haired dogs terrible skin rashes. (Pits, Dobes, Chihuahuas, etc) Urban legend: "once you cut an onion you have to throw it away because it grows deadly bacteria" &lt;----Urban Legend. Ten thousand repetitions don't make it a fact.
I do appreciate the debunking, but I must pick a bone with you sir. Who the hell ever said I was going to pour it into their orifices? Even with a normal shampooing it is common sense as well as instructions to avoid those sensitive areas on the head. I also experimented on other bugs first, which it did kill. A simple "that doesn't actually work" could have gotten the point across. But again, thank you for the warning.

<span class="Apple-style-span">"</span><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 18px; ">Ten thousand repetitions don't make it a fact,</span><span class="Apple-style-span">" &nbsp;but would be the basic of the average political party.</span>

<font size="4">Normally, I don't give a crap who thinks, does or says what.<br>But when it comes to defenseless kids, or animals, I SPEAK RIGHT UP. </font><br><b>This is a FORUM. I wrote what I wrote for everyone to read.<br> I wish there was a way to <span style="color: rgb(255, 0, 0); text-decoration: underline;">delete</span> your post <span style="text-decoration: underline;">so that no one goes and keeps pouring vinegar all over their poor pet because they "read it was ok to do"!!!</span></b><br><br>Now...<br>How about some Personal Responsibility?<br>How about before you go repeating, propagating and spreading <span style="text-decoration: underline;">incorrect and potentially dangerous </span>information - you VERIFY it to be true?<br>How about you THINK about the kids or animals who are going suffer because of your actions?<br> Are you REALLY okay knowing that some poor animal(s) is/will be abused or hurt because of the crap YOU perpetuated?!?!?! God forgive you if you don't even care.<br><br>NO - common sense is NOT common. <br>There are <i>plenty of people</i> who either don't care, can't be bothered or don't know that it's NOT OK to get water, soap, chemicals, <span style="font-style: italic;">vinegar,</span> etc in a kids or pets ears, nose, mouth, private parts and eyes.<br>There are <span style="font-style: italic;">plenty of people</span> who go right ahead and DO THINGS to their kids and pets because they "read it was ok to do on the internet".<br><br>

4x4, for goodness sake, why do you think vinegar is harmful?<div><br></div><div>Fwiw, advangate, frontline, etc are neurotoxins that kill many pets every year. &nbsp;Just ask google.</div><div><br></div><div>Imladris I held off fleas and ticks for years of travel with lots of garlic consumption and a little caution and common sense. &nbsp;I ran out of garlic in northern cali while the van was broken and came out of it with a huge tick infestation (I know exactly how it started - I was asleep and picked a tick off my dog in bed, thinking it was mud, and dropped it down behind the bed, and then followed much more sleep scratching and dropping of bugs. &nbsp;Woops.). &nbsp;It was a pain in the ass, but a complete dusting and laundering of everything and everyone in the van with diatamaceous earth took care of things.</div>

So 4x4chvy...<br><br>As Rachel said, a simple "that actually doesn't work" would be more than enough...<br><br>Lighten up.....<br><br>Bri<br><br>

<font size="4"><b>READING COMPREHENSION <span style="color: rgb(255, 0, 0);">*FAIL*</span></b><br><br>In Firefox:<br>Cntrl+F, type into the resulting search bar "vinegar is dangerous".<br><br>You will <span style="font-style: italic;">not</span> find it in any of my posts.<br></font><br><br>

Tara said:
4x4, for goodness sake, why do you think vinegar is harmful? Fwiw, advangate, frontline, etc are neurotoxins that kill many pets every year.  Just ask google. Imladris I held off fleas and ticks for years of travel with lots of garlic consumption and a little caution and common sense.  I ran out of garlic in northern cali while the van was broken and came out of it with a huge tick infestation (I know exactly how it started - I was asleep and picked a tick off my dog in bed, thinking it was mud, and dropped it down behind the bed, and then followed much more sleep scratching and dropping of bugs.  Woops.).  It was a pain in the ass, but a complete dusting and laundering of everything and everyone in the van with diatamaceous earth took care of things.
What size dog do/did you have and how much garlic did feed him/her?

40 lbs, a clove a day for each of us. Chopped up in peanut butter it goes down easy.

4x4chvy said:
<font size="4"><b>READING COMPREHENSION <span style="color: rgb(255, 0, 0);">*FAIL*</span></b><br><br>In Firefox:<br>Cntrl+F, type into the resulting search bar "vinegar is dangerous".<br><br>You will <span style="font-style: italic;">not</span> find it in any of my posts.</font><br>
<div><br></div><div>Well, see, I have this thing called reading comprehension. &nbsp;For example, when you say:</div><div><br></div><div><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; background-color: rgb(247, 247, 247); font-size: large; ">
But when it comes to defenseless kids, or animals, I SPEAK RIGHT UP.&nbsp;
</span></div><div><br></div><div>Followed by things like:</div><div><br></div><div><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; background-color: rgb(247, 247, 247); ">
How about some Personal Responsibility?<br>How about before you go repeating, propagating and spreading&nbsp;<span style="text-decoration: underline; ">incorrect and potentially dangerous</span>information - you VERIFY it to be true?
</span></div><div><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; background-color: rgb(247, 247, 247); "><br></span></div><div><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; background-color: rgb(247, 247, 247); ">It shows quite clearly that you are either (a) operating from a belief that vinegar is dangerous to pets or (b) you just like being accusatory and typing in big red letters on the internet. &nbsp;I think a quick perusal of your posts shows which it is.</span></div><div><br></div><div><br></div><div><br></div>

Hmmm Heated Topic.. too bad..<div><br></div><div><br></div><div><span class="Apple-style-span" style="color: rgb(34, 0, 193); font-family: arial, sans-serif; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(255, 248, 231); ">Diatomaceous&nbsp;<b>Earth&nbsp;</b></span>Can and will kill Flees works on eggs somehow as well, or just kills them when they emerge, is safe if consumed in small quantities as well. Borax will kill fleas but not eggs, safe in small quantities</div><div>Apple Cider Vinegar, safe to drink (but I am allergic to Vinegars so I stay away.)</div><div><br></div><div><br></div>

<P>I use food grade <SPAN class=st sb_id="ms__id1227">diatomaceous earth ... dust it on my loverlies &amp; put it in their food. may be an urban myth for all I know, but it works for me, dogs are tick &amp; flea free</SPAN></P>

I know lots of people who love their pets seresto collar, it made my dogs hair fall out by the fist full. When I opened the package, he actually ran out of the room and didn't want it anywhere near him, so I guess he knew before I did.

Now I use Bravecto, a tab he eats once every three months and it works wonders. I'm sure it's poisonous to some degree, but with their shorter than human lifespans I don't think it catches up with them in time.