Thousands travel out of Burning Man as desert turns to mud

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carla618

Supporting Member
Reaction score
How often has this happened at Burning Man? Fascinating watching all the RV's attempting to cross the water on the playa. From KSL News on youtube:

They'll definitely be springing for the undercarriage wash...

Back in the mid 90's it was a new event and I kept it on my bucket list...you just showed up and partied. Cash was considered worthless, you were expected to barter for anything you might need that you forgot to bring. Very 'grass roots' and all that.

But then it went all corporate with expensive and hard to get tickets to the event, and several pages of rules and regulations. That's when I took it OFF my bucket list.

Still, there is something to be said for doing something I have not done...yet.

:unsure:

At least it's better than the Fyre Festival lol

Burning Man has always been about testing enduring under somewhat harsh conditions so it pretty much just added a brand new element of endurance to the adventure. Great stories to tell back home and next year at Burning Man.

Burning Man has always been about testing enduring under somewhat harsh conditions ......
It's a party. Not much testing except for dust, drug, alcohol tolerance. Same motivation as our adolescent, underage kegger parties: go somewhere where cultural rules aren't enforced. Play dress-up, show off, experience outlandish art, concerts, .....
They got caught this year enduring 'harsh conditions' most weren't prepared for.

Be interesting to see if BLM issues permits next year.

I don't know why anyone is even trying to drive in that. Unless you're an experienced mudder, you are going nowhere, I don't care what your schedule says you are supposed to be doing. Might as well sit where you are.

I don't know why anyone is even trying to drive in that. Unless you're an experienced mudder, you are going nowhere, I don't care what your schedule says you are supposed to be doing. Might as well sit where you are.
But they don't know what they don't know. But you know what they don't know so you wouldn't do what they did. Because you know.

Ya know?

I found the Burning Man story interesting. I understand it was a 6 mile hike in the mud for those that decided to walk out. That sort of reminds me of what we did every morning before breakfast during my Army basic training days. Not saying it was fun. Just that it is not exactly earth shattering or life threatening.

That was assuming you couldn't or wouldn't just wait it out. These days, and I am sure the same might apply to most of us reading this, I can't image not always having sufficient non perishable supplies on board to last a week of so. Water would be my big concern until it was dry enough to drive out. Those chemical out houses not being emptied? What many of us call composting toilets can be whipped up with meger supplies. Buckets and bags for solids and in those conditions I don't think disposing of urine would be much of a issue.

IDK, maybe I am just not being sympathetic enough, but I think those of us that are or have experienced the nomadic life would be far better prepared to deal with this than your average S&B denizen.

Maki is right about Burning Man. It's about self-reliance and helping others. Lots of talent there.

They didn't have to worry about food. All food and drinks are provided. The only thing you must pay for is ice and coffee. Everything is included in the entrance fee.

I watched several interviews with people who were there and they said it was like other years only wetter. The more inexperienced folks left early (instead of waiting for the ground to dry) and some got stuck. One guy said the mass exodus on the news happens every year.

I'd love to attend Burning Man... if I was 40 years younger.

..... It's about self-reliance and helping others .....

..... All food and drinks are provided ..... Everything is included in the entrance fee .....
Please explain how burner's are practicing and teaching self-reliance.

The only difference between Burning Man and an ocean cruise or all included resort is bringing your own shelter.

Maki is right about Burning Man. It's about self-reliance and helping others. Lots of talent there.

They didn't have to worry about food. All food and drinks are provided. The only thing you must pay for is ice and coffee. Everything is included in the entrance fee.

I watched several interviews with people who were there and they said it was like other years only wetter. The more inexperienced folks left early (instead of waiting for the ground to dry) and some got stuck. One guy said the mass exodus on the news happens every year.

I'd love to attend Burning Man... if I was 40 years younger.
Sounds like she went with a specific group. Food and drink are not provided by Burning Man. Organizers have enough to do without providing food to 70,000 people for 9 days. (My mind boggles...)

https://www.cnn.com/2023/09/04/us/burning-man-heavy-rain-preparation/index.html

Last edited:
Sounds like she went with a specific group. Food and drink are not provided by Burning Man. Organizers have enough to do wihout providing food to 70,000 people for a week.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/09/04/us/burning-man-heavy-rain-preparation/index.html
I watched a documentary about Burning Man last night and it kept talking about how everything is free there. It showed the kitchens preparing the food and said you just look for the long lines (they move fast... 20 minutes) to find more free food. The CNN article you shared said you pay for ice, but didn't say anything about paying for food (unless I missed it). I'll grab the link to the documentary. It's from 2019 and was well made.