Thoughts on this Chevy Astro?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UnknownNobody

Reaction score
Hey everybody,

I have found a van which looks promising and wanted to run it by those more experienced than I before I move on it.
It is a 2002 Chevy Astro LS:
http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/cto/4944605632.html

I had a reputable mechanic inspect it and he found the following:

- The engine crankshaft rear main oil seal is leaking. However there does not appear to be any damage to the engine. The engine was run through some diagnostics as well as a test drive and it came out otherwise clean. He couldn't tell the rate of the leak but it was enough to produce two droplets which were visible, as well as some oil marks on the ground.

- Worn front shock bushings.

- Worn serpentine belt tension adjuster.

- Other minor things.

Otherwise, the engine starts easily, idles smooth, and accelerates well. No unusual engine noise or smoke from the exhaust. The transmission engages properly and shifts smooth. The van tracks straight and the brakes are good.

The owner has said he will take it in to be repaired and offered the sale at $4000 after repairs.
Apparently he has a friend, from whom he acquired the car in the first place, who owns a dealership and is doing him a favor by having his mechanic repair the leak and the bushings for $500.

What do you all think?

Looks very nice. Excellent stealth. Seems like a good deal. As long as your okay with the interior space she looks like a keeper...

I recently purchased a 2003 gmc safari, just like the astro, I cannot tell by pictures if it has a tow package, but if not and you want to tow something you will need to have wiring done, about 40 bucks at uhaul for 4 prong wiring, and a trans cooler, I am pricing them, get a hayden stacked oil cooler, they are similar to factory style, hardest part will be accessing to trans line on radiator, its very tight. I might have mechanic do it, other than access its an easy install.
 Also double check oil cooler lines between radiator and oil filter, they have a protective sleeve like used to cover wire bundles, pull back a little on it and make sure no oil seepage by compression fittings, I missed it on mine but mechanic noticed right away, said its common. and get a factory part for this if its ever needed, about 130.00 bucks plus labor and oil change.  Hope this is helpful, looks like a nice van and a good price, that would be over 5 grand in my area.

I think the van looks good.

What I would question is whether it will be big enough to be comfortable for you. Those don't get that much better MPG than full size vans, and the full size ones offer a lot more room.

Personally I would never trade comfort for better MPG.

Is leaking oil a problem with California inspections? It is, here, in MA. California emissions and inspections are as ummmm particular as MA's.

I think you're right Cyndi but not sure if a leak wouldn't get by an inspection. Lived in both states and both are very tough about standards. Here in RI not so bad.....

Thanks for the feedback, I will be checking out another astro that just popped up today and then will make my decision.
Off Grid - I think I can make the smaller space work comfortably, we shall see..
As for the oil leak, I'm not sure about the inspections question, but the leak will be fixed before I buy the van.

Latest posts