Those damn class A motorhomes

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bullfrog:  thanks for your great suggestions.  I think the Easy Out is the way to proceed.

Zonie:  You are right about painting classes of people with a broad brush.  Even though some in class A coaches may be great people, I'll still avoid them and sleep better for it.  Hope to meet you in Q!

It would sure be nice if those people who run generators would switch out to having a big solar panel and battery system.

But that would impact my workshop partner's income. He was on a team that designed a smart system for the Onan generators used in the big class A's. He gets royalty checks from that now and again. For a while during the recession when no one was buying big RVs the checks were pretty darned small.

But he is not to blame for anyone running the generator all night. The smart aspect is the generator determines when it needs to kick on to get the batteries charged in order to shut down for the quiet hours. It also monitors the battery so that it is not running when it is not needed. It knows when the levels on the batteries get so low that it has to fire up and run for a while. But it does not fire up constantly for small changes in the battery level.

66788. I like La Posa South for the availability of water, dump station and dumpsters. Makes it easy for me to have the showers I want. Also there is so much space out here you can be as far or near to people as you want. No need to park next to a generator.

I’ll be sure to park next to him and run my generator. [emoji12]

You cannot get away from having a generator if you want air conditioning. I use my 1,200W solar for everything else...

Cammalu said:
I’ll be sure to park next to him and run my generator. [emoji12]

Ha!  I doubt I'd hear it all the way from Kentucky!   :D

Merry Christmas y'all!

I’ll be basaaaacccckkkk in a couple dayssss

66788 said:
One would think that for all that money they would have solar, or at least quiet generators.  I suspect that these people are sadists and enjoy annoying other people, or perhaps like the attention all that blasted noise creates.

Anyone else plagued by loud generators?
Nice of you to spend other people's hard earned money for them LOL  Everyone who has some bucks to spend will consult you to spend it for them HAHA

Sadists?   Geez what I find is the pet peeve people ranting all the time over things that are now out there, gonna happen, gennys and big rvs and all will never leave, and judge so harshly those who use these conveniences if they are within rules.

Plagued by genny's?   Nope, we have one and use it and the noise never bothers me.  Our own or others using them.  Not sensitive to it as others I guess but I am lucky that way.   We will always use our genny any and all times we see fit within park rules.   If it is allowed, I am doing it :)  So the pet peeve people need to buck up.    Find a new rant.  ugh.  These rants get OH SO tiring. Hey one opinion on it all gains another's opinion on it all :)

I've been around some of the Honda Generators and Japanese A/C units that I could hardly hear operating when standing close to them.   Way quieter than any lawnmower.   By using better designed mufflers, better baffled intake/air filter boxes, and acoustic padding in the generators compartment it could bring sound levels down considerably.  Outboard facing exhaust are by their nature louder to those around them, not to mention exhaust fumes.

Solutions have been developed & offered by specialty aftermarket sources such as Camco with their "Gen Turi" upward diverting system.   Specialty companies develop such kits like this that solve various problems and before long producers of the original equipment adopt it and include it as original equipment. 

Camco Gen Turi exhaust ...Youtube video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBPDpMHVWVg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBPDpMHVWVg

I've never had the generator issue since i have been on the road. Even the big contractor ones are barely audible to me a short distance away, maybe 50 paces. I think i might need miracle ear.

I have a big loud one strapped to the back of my van for sunless days or tools, but i have a shower /tarp enclosure i built back there and it muffles it quite a bit. Or at least I thought so, but if I am going deaf maybe not? lol I asked my neighbor across the wash if it bothered them and they said they didnt even notice.

When i was in big river I had a lot of class a all around me but never heard any except this guy who a ran a welder out of his step van one night.