Those damn class A motorhomes

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
For the past 3 nights I have been cursed by the Nomad gods to have those behemoth class A rigs park within 50 yards of me and run generators for hours that rattle my step van.  

One would think that for all that money they would have solar, or at least quiet generators.  I suspect that these people are sadists and enjoy annoying other people, or perhaps like the attention all that blasted noise creates.

Normally I would just leave and find a better spot, but my van is deadlined without an alternator at the moment and I am stuck here in the seventh circle of Hell at LaPosa South, a spot I would dearly love to see in the rear view mirror.

Anyone else plagued by loud generators?

:fist:

Hope you get your mechanical problem fixed quick...........what's taking so long?

Odd GM AC Delco alternator, special order from the East Coast, coupled with a bolt that broke off while removing the bad unit.

I'm close to the east coast, if you need any parts I can ship them to you asap. Good luck.

Most of the old AC/Delco alternators are basically the same just the front is "clocked" as in assembled in different positions than the back. There are lots of Youtube videos to show you how to change them. Many a hot roder has used them because they basically are a simple self contained alternator and usually only require a battery positive and idiot light. I've drilled and tapped the block oversize and drilled out the alternator pivot so I can use an oversize bolt as well. Basically as long as you can get the pulley to line up and the belt tensioned your good. Many brackets both stock and aftermarket are available if a different mounting set up is required. It is pretty easy to use your old pulley and spacers by simply removing the retaining nut with a borrowed impact. I've adapted them to almost everything with a motor. For years I carried only one spare for my jeep, motorhome and Samurai. All required alteration to work as they usually came off junkyard motors. Most are internally regulated and parts can be found almost anywhere. I believe there is a shop going north out of Quartzsite on the right that should be able to fix or alter an alternator for you. In the past they have let RTR people stay in the vehicle if it needs to stay overnight. Hope all goes well. Let us know how it works out. Most of the people that run generators at night are usually past out drunk by sundown and don't care if the generator is running. Don't they have a quiet time posted in the rules at the host trailer?

at last years RTR I experienced generator hell.

66788 who told you that was a special alternator. I just looked it up and it's a standard 12SI. also a 10SI and 12SI are totally interchangeable except for the clocking position but that is as easy as spinning the housing. those two alternator are the most common alternators ever produced they came on every GM except imports from 1973 until 1993 millions where used and yes even on the 4BT.

highdesertranger

I lost the 8 groove pulley for the Cummins 4bt as well as the insert and mounting hardware.

It is a 12SI clocked to 9 o'clock. Hopefully the parts get here before Dec 30th...

As for the broken bolt, I'm still looking at options, which aren't too good at the moment.

I'm going to change the water pump and thermostat at the same time.

RIVERMAN: Thanks for the offer of help, but I think I have it covered now.

I'm unfamiliar with the area, but call around to some local garages and see if there's a "bolt doctor" in the area?

I'm not sure if that's a common service, but we have a guy that will come to you and extract anything with a thread pretty much (yes even modular ford spark plugs lol)

Good luck!

12SI come clocked in every position, 12, 3, 6, and 9. however like I mentioned they are easy to clock in any position you need. as far as the pully I would walk the road where it happened, it's got to be there somewhere. are you positive that a GM serpentine pully doesn't work. I can't see GM using a special pulley just for that vehicle, that's not the way GM operated. back then. also I suppose that without that belt the water pump won't be operable? that is why I don't like serpentine belts. if you loose one thing you are dead in the water. because with multiple v-belts you can still drive without an alternator, AC, or power steering pump but without an water pump you are DOA. I can almost guarantee there is a place in Blythe that can handle the broken bolt. highdesertranger

Generator noise is a perfect example of why 4x4 mobility is important to me, I want to be able to go where there are no neighbors, or at least where neighbors are considerate.

Godspeed on the repair!

6:03 AM and the construction generator wakes me up.

And yes, the BLM rules say 6:00 AM is OK, as quiet time is 10:00 PM to 6:00 AM.

Why would any sane person stay at LaPosa South? I was towed here by a kind soul after breaking down on Hwy 95, I'm not here by choice.

desync0 said:
I'm not sure if that's a common service, but we have a guy that will come to you and extract anything with a thread pretty much (yes even modular ford spark plugs lol)

Could you PM me his info?  Thanks.

We had to listen to a big class A's generator cycle on/off all night earlier this year when we were at a State Park (so no moving away). It was 50* and raining for much of the weekend, but we still had a fire that we cooked over, and took walks, exsercised our dogs, and occasionally jumped on the bicycle.

The folks in the class A were NEVER outside, and left for most of the day on Saturday with the generator cycling (while empty)....we weren't thrilled !

Yes, I hate generator noise, but just this morning, after checking the weather forecast and seeing a few days of rain, I envied the owners of large RVs a little. If I'm going to be stuck inside, I'd rather have a little more room and a place where friends could hang out together.

It’s not just the noise of generators, but the fumes.

We once had a big, fancy Class A back their hind end right up to ours late evening, turn on two generators and proceed to run them.

We left several hours into this, but as all was dark inside said Class A, it appeared they intended to run them all night.

If you can't screw it out with a small screwdriver or pick then it may have threadlocker on it. Most bolts when they break loose almost all the tension locking against the threads and screw out easily as long as they are not bottomed out in the threaded hole or have had threadlocker applied to the threads. My next go to if I can get a drill in there is a left handed twist drill bit as it will not only turn it out but also creates some heat. Next if there is enough bolt left and I have drilled on center comes the easy-out. I usually like to use the pipe style that is a slightly smaller diameter than the drilled hole hardened dowel with splines that is lightly driven in the hole and has a collar that slides over the dowel and can be turned with a wrench. They are easy to break so most people don't like them. They use the tapered easy-outs but if you use them be careful not to mess up the threads at the top with the edge of the easy-out. Next is to drill a big hole and install a helicoil or tap the hole for a larger diameter bolt. If none of this is possible there may be some chemical solutions depending on what the bolt and surrounding metal consist of. I have also if the broken bolt is flush or slightly above the surface weld a nut on the inside threads to the top of the bolt which will heat up it enough it will screw out easily using a wrench on the welded on nut most times. If all this fails I have in some cases been able to buy or manufacture a bracket with a welded on nut for the pivot bolt, it may pivot in a slightly different point or you may have to grind a little clearance or shorten the spacer in order for the bracket or nut to fit. I'm pretty sure the garage on north 95 at the edge of town can do this for you. Hope this helps!!!

Trinidad Walmart, Class A w/propane generator running, parks ten feet between us, with the generator exhaust pointing directly at the side door of my cargo van. I moved to a spot on the side below the auto parts store.

It's not just Class A folks. Many car campers and trailer campers use contractor gensets which make way more noise then an 1800 RPM twin cyl genset in an older coach. I have a Class A. I rarely run my genset, but when I do, I run it for as little as possible, and park far away from those who would be affected by it, so please don't lump everyone into a single category. It's like saying vandwellers all leave their trash behind. Most don't but some do. There are shitheads in all categories.

Latest posts