This Walmart parking lot is about to get shady.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pseudo_mccoy

Reaction score
And I mean that in a good way. I'm a fan of the occasional midday nap, so its always nice to find a lot with shaded areas. Short of an actual parking structure, this is the best I've found so far.

Looks like they're installing solar panels over most of the lot. Found it last night here in Oceanside, CA. Anyone else see these? I hope it catches on.

solar parking lot.jpg

solar parking lot 2b.jpg

solar parking lot 4.jpg

solar parking lot 3.jpg

Attachments

• solar parking lot 2b.jpg
    solar parking lot 2b.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 107
  • solar parking lot.jpg
    solar parking lot.jpg
    232.2 KB · Views: 122
  • solar parking lot 3.jpg
    solar parking lot 3.jpg
    212.1 KB · Views: 94
  • solar parking lot 4.jpg
    solar parking lot 4.jpg
    299.4 KB · Views: 88
Our Walmart has a gas station at it. (not sure how common that is)

...but these could run power to the store, and/or be used to 'refill' electric cars.

I'm not much of a fan of Walmarts...however, this does put a point in their column from me. Good to see this. Hopefully, some day, these will be everywhere.

Walmart has always been aggressive in going green when it also benefits their bottom line. They are the reason deodorant no longer comes in cardboard boxes and many other things have reduced packaging. More products fit on the shelf and we have less superfluous cardboard and plastic to throw away. Now they're getting as many subsidies as they can from California and elsewhere for installing solar. The roof of that walmart is probably already covered in panels so they're moving outwards.

Increasing profits, helping the environment, providing welcome shade for customers, proving a shady place for nappers. It sounds like a win - win - win - win to me.

We hung out in Oceanside for a lot of winters..to sell at the swap meet. Actually lived there too..in a bus with a 20' dragon on the side:)
Looked at the great pics, can't say I remember that WalMart..but the trees would have grown a lot since we were there.
The shade for customers..very nice addition.
Times have changed..we are van-travelers now..hope to get to Oceanside again one day.
Loved the State Park in Carlsbad!

The WalMart in Flagstaff AZ has exactly that setup filled with solar panels.

Both CA and AZ are giving out big rebates for solar investment and when combined with Federal rebates it adds up and smart companies invest the money.

No matter what you think of WalMart, they are smart.
Bob

Everyone should get solar! Especially with the amount of sun in CA and AZ. Well done WalMart.

Been watching a place in Athens, Ohio along State Street just west of Wal-Mart that has a similar setup over their parking lot. These will likely get more common in the future, and I'd think they're grid-tied to reduce their electric bill. Nice to see solar gaining popularity. The only problem I see is that, while government is prattling on about "going green" local municipalities are dragging folks to court for doing so. I guess they just want everyone to pay utility companies to go green, rather than doing it themselves.

The VA hospital in Tucson, AZ has their lots covered in solar panels too.

There is also a bar and pizzeria on 4th Ave. that has solar panels over their lot and roof which provide ALL their electricity needs. While waiting line line to buy a slice of pizza, you can see an animated display that shows how much energy they gathered and used that day.

Varmint said:
The only problem I see is that, while government is prattling on about "going green" local municipalities are dragging folks to court for doing so. I guess they just want everyone to pay utility companies to go green, rather than doing it themselves.

Knowing that many cities are struggling financially just to keep basic services on line (fire, police, sanitation, schools, ect)...I'd bet that many of them would LOVE to install solar for a multitude of uses, but simply lack the money to do so. (Installing solar IS a huge financial undertaking!!)

The Safeway in Old Town Scottsdale just put in a parking shade solar array. Seems to be the "thing" now, especially when Bashas (AZ Grocery chain) started putting covered parking at many stores.

ZoNiE said:
The Safeway in Old Town Scottsdale just put in a parking shade solar array. Seems to be the "thing" now, especially when Bashas (AZ Grocery chain) started putting covered parking at many stores.

Sun City has them all over town. I think it's pretty neat, and pretty smart considering how many hours of sun we have here. This weather is a fluke.

Walmart is part of a corporate "pact"... last I read there were well over 50. Companies that have looked at the climate data and have agreed that business has to take steps since governments cannot get it together to move very fast.

Of course, they are seeing exactly how climate change will affect their bottom line in the next years and decades. You are sure to start seeing more press on these companies in the next year. Starbucks, you'd expect; Walmart, I was surprised (but they have the money to hire their own scientists to help with projections).

It would surprise me if they stop at solar installations. Wind is being touted as another green technology, but the big problem with it is that it doesn't pay out. Those big 2-megawatt turbines you see on wind farms? They can spin until they fall apart and never generate the amount of energy that went into them. I can see smaller turbines, mounted on vans and trailers, or tiny house installations paying out and/or supplementing the solar arrays for battery banks, but never for commercial use.

That said, I'm not so sure solar arrays "pay out", but they certainly supply our small needs as a mobile or tiny community, and in the long-term, quite well. Far better than paying a utility company, in my opinion. As for those who are in places like Florida, where you're required by law to be connected to the grid, there's still no law requiring you to USE their power....only to be hooked up to it. No law in existence can require you to use power you don't need.

Yes, but getting more affordable all the time. Wonder if we'll ever catch up with other countries?

buzkin said, in relevant part:
"Wonder if we'll ever catch up with other countries?"

My reply:
The way I see it, there was never any need to catch up to other countries. THEY need to catch up to US, and WE need to return to our founding principles, which made us the envy of the entire world. Nothing is truly cheaper or better in other countries, only subsidized by heavy taxation, which means you pay for many things you neither need or use, whether you like it or not. For that reason alone, I can't begin to imagine why we would want to imitate another country anywhere on this planet, despite our vaunted "leaders" insistence that we should. Taxation is the engine that drives inflation, forcing you into higher tax brackets while simultaneously lowering your power to save and purchase things you really need or want.

On the other hand.... what, exactly, did you have in mind that we should catch up to?

We need to get a little more progressive regarding expanding the use of solar.

Still don't know what you mean. I purchased a solar panel. That's "progress". If I want to increase my solar capacity I, and only I, will determine what I need and purchase it. That will be more progress, unless my actual NEED for it is unchanged, in which case it's mere excess. This, as I see it, is how it should be done; I want, therefore I buy and use however I choose.

Do you think we should learn to use and rely on more solar and/or wind power? Or do you mean government should tax everyone else to help pay for YOUR solar/wind power?

Perhaps you could clarify what you mean by "be more progressive"....?
I hope this doesn't become emotionally-charged and politically chaotic....