This suddenly didn't make sense to me

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrNoodly

Reaction score
I was following a Ram pickup today. A four wheel drive dually. Why is it a 4x4 when it has six wheels? Why isn't it a 6x6?  :D :p :shy: :D :huh: :p

Meanwhile, they call something like a Duce And A Half a 6x6 but it has 10 wheels.

Two axles and you can put super singles in place of dual tires. Just a guess....

Actually quite a few things about the MOBILE life fail making sense.
All we really NEED are weather protections (3 wheels, or housing), a few clothes, shoes, food, water, & interactions,
so a "Reverse-mortgage" enables a senior-citizen to STAY in their house until they died;
thus no need to RISK poisonous snakes, Cacti, poisonous spiders, more death-camp :exclamation: visits, or anything else.
+
2. Gorgeous  :cool: sunRises, & sunSets right from the Front, & Back-door ... any day. 
+
3. grow your own Nutrient-rich foods right where you are. Savor them right off the plants :)
+
4.  enjoy Solitute... , &/or Beloved... company much more easily :D

Please explain how so the "mobile-life" is the better ? of the two choices...

MrNoodly said:
I was following a Ram pickup today. A four wheel drive dually. Why is it a 4x4 when it has six wheels? Why isn't it a 6x6?  :D :p :shy: :D :huh: :p

Meanwhile, they call something like a Duce And A Half a 6x6 but it has 10 wheels.

Yeah.... the dually wheels add surface area and therefore traction, but if we started calling those 6x6 vehicles then what would we call vehicles that do have 3 ales and 6 drive wheels?

Deuce and a half is referring to its weight rating of two and a half tons. Not its number of wheels. Again, # of axles relevant.

Personally, I need/want to live the mobile lifestyle but am stuck in a S&B.

Mods, please feel free to delete this post.

TMG51 said:
Yeah.... the dually wheels add surface area and therefore traction, but if we started calling those 6x6 vehicles then what would we call vehicles that do have 3 ales and 6 drive wheels?

Deuce and a half is referring to its weight rating of two and a half tons. Not its number of wheels. Again, # of axles relevant.
Does a deuce and a half have the front axle as a drive axle?  Not sure.  Rode in many of them but I never drove one.  If not then you really can't use a 4x4 or 6x6 I don't believe since only the back axles are drive axles.   I believe the numbers represent tire locations no matter how many tires you have at that specific location.  It would be a 4x6 with 2 axles (4 rear tires driving) and 6 tire locations.   With dual rears you can remove the duals and put wide singles in place so then you'd only have 4 tires on the vehicle so 4x4 is correct.  6x6 would be like the vehicle I drove when I was in the military.  The M-561 Gamma Goat.  It had 6 tire locations and you could go from a single axle drive to all 3 axles or 6 tires driving and it is referred to as a 6x6 vehicle. 

id_m561_full.gif

As a plus it has an articulation joint in the middle and it is amphibious with bilge pumps and everything.  Pretty awesome machine.  Oh and opposing front and rear axle steering.  Again, I'm not 100% sure this is how the designations work.

Then we have the designation of '8 wheel drive' as applied (by farmers) to large agricultural farm tractors.

They have 4 wheel 'positions', but large dual tires and wheels at each position...but what about some of this 'Big Iron' that has 12 tires?

So...the plot thickens as it becomes murky...

Stay tuned!

caseih9390tractor-8.jpgcase9390snow.jpgcase9390-12f.jpg

Attachments

• caseih9390tractor-8.jpg
    caseih9390tractor-8.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 9
  • case9390-12f.jpg
    case9390-12f.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 8
  • case9390snow.jpg
    case9390snow.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 8
Just 'cause I love throwing curves:

Garrett1.jpg
g3.jpg

:p  Seen in a small private tractor museum near Lexington, Fl. :p

Attachments

• Garrett1.jpg
    Garrett1.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 15
  • g3.jpg
    g3.jpg
    685.6 KB · Views: 18
The 4x, 6x, and 8x, etc. in most vehicles is more a reference to how many drive hubs it has. Not how many wheels you can put on that hub.

A deuce is 6x. The rear two axles drive all the time and the front is an on demand, air activated, T-case. So even though its a 6x it is usually run w/ only 4 driving hubs.
Of course now we can get into things like "open diff's" which blow the whole 4x / 6x thing.

That tractor thing is just weird. Don't know why they call that as they do.

And Gamma Goats are crazy cool rigs!

TMG51 said:
Deuce and a half is referring to its weight rating of two and a half tons. 

I know, but it's an example of a vehicle that falls in the 6x6 category.

Annie W said:
Actually quite a few things about the MOBILE life fail making sense.
I came at vandwelling from my desire to travel. A lot. But I'm not wealthy enough to be paying for flights and hotels all the time. I'm a nomad because I'm fed up with being anchored in one place. You would rather live in a building, Annie. I would rather not.

Motrukdriver  was it not fun to  turn that steering wheal when the engine was not running on that gama goat

I deleted three posts that were 100% off topic and pure politics.

You guys and gals know better than that!!

At least one of those posts I agreed with 100%, but that is not the point, at this forum we don’t talk politics and we stay on topic.

Any further off-topic posts will be deleted. Including posts about this post.

travlinman and wife said:
Motrukdriver  was it not fun to  turn that steering wheal when the engine was not running on that gama goat

Very true.. you had ground resistance on 4 tires instead of just two front steer tires like normal vehicles.

MrNoodly said:
I came at vandwelling from my desire to travel. A lot. But I'm not wealthy enough to be paying for flights and hotels all the time. 
I'm a nomad because I'm fed up with being anchored in one place. You would rather live in a building, Annie. I would rather not.

Hi MrNoodly,
Fair enough. -
The difference in this case is that I car-Traveled ... to 120++ locations, before I stopped counting.
MOST of those times were to seek out new adventures... :) interacting with lots of different people, & best of all Volunteering wherever I could.
I LOVE to Volunteer... because I'm selfish... Volunteering to help... others is to me *the hugest natural HIGH* you can feel.
There is just no other feeling that compares when you know you have helped another achieve... something inherently *good* that is precious to them.
So I moved all over, here, there, everywhere... Until, that is, I just wanted to for ONCE "settle down in one place, longer than months". Understand ?
Now, I still do get "Wanderlust" but just for a visit; See here Mobile... Geodesic tiny house
And how very blessed we all are that Bob has given us this FORUM so we can make our various Passions come true. THANK YOU BOB
https://vanlivingforum.com/showthread.php?tid=30031so
I need a ROOTED "Home-base". Why ? Several reasons family wise including us growing a round Foresting-garden... why?
Well I was raised... with lush forests around me, plus I feel most "at home" in NATURE... ;) apparently the more colorful, the better LOL
a REAL forest iow self-Growing, self-Healing, self-Sustaining, & self-Perpetuating, like human-choices... just like we all.

So Good for you MrNoodly, in following your passions, too. - I wish you all the Best... Have lots of FUN... :D