Thinking of buying a utility shell for a stealth/adventure vehicle camper.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like what you have done with it. Do you have updated pictures of the entire rig? I thought about getting one of those shells, but they are expensive.

Thanks Bob. I know I could have gotten more space for less money, but with the basement and attic in this shell, I have a surprising amount of clutter free space to sleep in. The deed's done, so I'm embracing it with no regrets. What is your opinion of it's stealthiness in urban areas? BTW, literall across the street from this pic are several full time RV's in the public parking. If I wasn't in the marina parking lot, that's where I would be.

I agree, very good stealth. Put a magnetic sign saying you are a surveyor on the door and it's good to go.
Bob

Hi Cheap RV'ers, I'm baaaack. Long story. I hit off the truck in August last year due to parking issues at the marina. Problem got resolved

Hi Cheap RV'ers, I'm baaaack. Long story. I got off the truck in August last year due to parking issues at the marina. Problem got resolved, then my 80 yo dad got in a motorcycle accident. Good news is, he is fully recovered with some internal fractures, now healed.
Then, in November I flew to the Philippines to meet a young lady I've been conversing with for 2+ years. Visit went very well. As a side note, they have a ton of Toyota & Nissan square body vans running diesel engines. They would be perfect for our purposes.
I'm back on the truck again, trying to solidify my next move. My dad has 100 heavily wooded acres in Indianola OK. I have a standing offer to go there and build a cabin if I want to. I'm transitioning to part time in the big truck with a goal of 6 months on/off schedule. I'll explore in my rig, but have a home base to return to.
One of my plans is to get a trailer like Bob's, initially as storage, but made into a liveable space later on. I have several storage options for it.
Not too much has been done to the rig lately. I plan to start getting a solar system started this year too.
Anyway, it's good to be back..
oops, sorry about the double post. Can't delete the first one..

LeeRevell said:
Thanks for the update!  Good news about your Dad recovering - can be difficult at that age.  Keep the old boy off that bike!  :)

No! keep the old guy on a bike! :D That's probably why he's 80 and still able to ride. It gives me hope as I age! Glad to here you're doing well and sounds like you have a nice life figured for yourself.

Most definitely! Bike was totalled, so his motorcycling days are behind him. Thank goodness. He lives on a sailboat and dances 2-3x per week, he's definitely not fading away..

I made my own mattresses (two) due to the uncertain condition of the big truck mattresses I was encountering in my various assigned trucks. I purchased the largest Coleman sleeping bag I could find at Walmart, less than $40. I put a sheet of dual density memory foam (twin size bed, $25) and then laid an Electrowarmth heating pad on top of the foam, but inside the sleeping bag. I sleep like a baby and the heating pad puts out lots of heat with very little truck idling needed.

Sleeping bag.

dual density foam.

Electrowarmth pad. I got mine on sale at a TA truckstop in 2013. Available on Amazon too.

Electrowarmth controller, halfway is more than enough heat.

I love the mattress idea! I want something better in my trailer than the backpacking pads I'm currently using. But I can't afford to have mattresses upholstered and I don't sew more than just a patch here or there. I assume you use another bag or bedding on top of this? My beds are only 24'' wide and fold up, but I could put part of each one up the wall like a futon sofa for some back cushioning when sitting. Then when I put the filler between beds I will have one big queen size bed made from 2 of them. I don't think I need the heat pad, but if I were to use one I am wondering if it's better to put it inside the sleeping bag where you have it, or if it would be more efficient to put it between the mattress bag and the one we're sleeping in? We always sleep in either single or a big double bag rather than sheets and blankets - just works better for us with the configuration we have. One more question - I saw a 4'' dual density mattress topper at Walmart recently. Do you think there's enough room in that Coleman bag for it, or is the 2'' already a snug fit? Thanks for all the great info you've shared in this thread.

Glad you checked in I was wondering how the truck was doing for ya

I safety pinned a flat sheet over the sleeping bag, feels much like conventional bed. It was 28° at the Van Horn, TX rest area and I never idled the truck until I got up in the morning. Totally comfortable and warm.

I'm using my sleeper in the big truck as a laboratory for future living in the shell. I now have twin bunks with less head room than the shell. I'm changing my clothes in the lower bunk to simulate being in the shell. I'm living pretty comfortably on the truck, so I'm going to emulate what works in the shell. Just bought a CO2 alarm after reading about a trucker who died after running a generator. This detector will be used in my shell too.
Any suggestions for a battery powered propane detector? Thanks