Thinking of buying a utility shell for a stealth/adventure vehicle camper.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
spd2918 said:
Thanks. I am a GM guy and think I could get that if a full sized V-6 truck. Maybe with a lower shell.

I like your set up a lot.
I agree, the current gen Tacoma has been criticized for the fuel economy. I had the previous gen with a 2.4l I4 engine, 5spd manual. Much better mileage. I like the space, power and 4X4 capabilities of this truck so I can live with the drawbacks. I'm going to get my Suzuki DR650 out of storage soon to use as my commuter scooter to offset the mileage.

Kisatchieman said:
Glad to hear from you again billy. You can save a fortune by installing your own winch. The local Warn dealership here wanted $500 to install mine, so I did it myself. I bought everything online and saved quite a bit more. I used the Warn Trans4mer system including brush guards to install my Warn 8000 lb. winch. Took me a whole day to do it by myself. Haven't used it yet, but it's there giving me peace of mind until I do need it.

Thanks, That's exactly what I plan to do. It will be super easy because the bumper is set up to accept the winch. It will drop in and bolt to the slots. The cable will run right under the grill and will fill an ugly hole at the same time. I saved $400 by installing the bumpers myself on the truck.
I will post pix of the install, probably today or tomorrow.

Got the winch installed today, took about 4-5 hours because I would put something together and would have to take it apart because I forgot something..grrrrr. If I had to do it again, I could easily do it in half the time. A huge tip to make it easier, PUT THE WHOLE TOGETHER BEFORE YOU INSTALL IT IN THE VEHICLE!

Starting the install:

Set it in the bay, should have put the wiring and control box on first..

Notice the shackles I added..

I bought two of these Factor 55 security bolts to discourage theft..

The finished project.

Added shackles to the rear bumper too.. Late Christmas present to myself..

akblack10 said:
Looks great!
-AK

Thanks AK, I know the bumper looks very clunky in the pix, but in real life it's not nearly so ugly. Kinda like me.. Lol

Super nice! Like your heavy duty bumpers. Won't have to worry about pulling anything loose while you're winching.

Out with old, in with the new.
Really been showing my truck some love this week..lol

I had purchased a Kenwood head unit last year for my work truck. After changing jobs, I stopped using it and put it up. Since I had time this week, I decided to install it in the taco. I bought the matching dash panel and wiring kit to enable me to swap the double DIN stock radio to this ISO-DIN unit. This Kenwood is 4X50 watts, remote, bluetooth with speaker phone feature, AM/FM, CD, USB for MP3 playback and can receive an available module for XM. I paid just under $200 for it in 2013 at Fry's in San Diego.

Original radio

New panel in the installation kit.

After removing the HVAC panel and four bolts, the original radio came out fairly easily.

The finished project.

Got the microphone for the radio installed and my Android phone connected to the radio's bluetooth.

I'm considering a deep discharge battery for the starting battery in lieu of a separate house battery. I'm also researching solar power to keep the battery topped off. Looking at Bob's suitcase system. How about panels that can go in the windshield? Is there simmering available like that? I have a small panel on the dash now that trickle charges the battery while I'm gone, it was given to me. It's OK, but very low power output.

Sprayed on some Boeing T7 spray on the winch after I noticed significant moisture under the cover. That was three weeks ago, so far it appears to be faring well.
Took the truck in for a recall and a spare key today at a local dealer. They load tested my battery and reported that it failed. I'm considering the Optima yellow top. Any dd battery suggestions? It's in the Group 27 size category.
Thanks..
Btw, 5 months left and this truck will be paid off, about 3.5 years early.

Telcobilly said:
. . .They load tested my battery and reported that it failed. I'm considering the Optima yellow top. Any dd battery suggestions? It's in the Group 27 size category.
Thanks..

Optima had an awesome reputation years ago.

Unfortunately, they were bought by a new owner who moved production to Mexico with predictable results. The quality ain't what it was.

I hear nothing but good things about the Sears Diehard Platinum AGM line.

Regards
John

Thanks for the input. I'll look at the diehard battery a little closer.
Just bolted on a 2" receiver. The bumper is very strong, so the hitch is very secure. The hitch matches my truck's towing capacity, 5000 lbs.

Will/ Telcobilly,
Thank you for your posts. I have some questions, if I may:
1. I am a huge Toyota fan my self with the low maintenance. I don't know if I can rest if I get anything other than a Toyota the next time. I got my vehicle new and it's now historic without one problem. Therefore, I am in the market for another boondock vehicle. Did you ever consider the Sienna Minivan? It has 150cf behind the front seats as compared to 165cf, though it's lower in height. I know you drive trucks and it looks like a mom van, was that part of your reasoning?
2. I was surprised that your front hatch wasn't more comprehensive to the larger size of the truck's window. Did you ever consider anything else that would have been larger?
3. In the picture of the hatch on the rear doors, the nuts are facing out where someone could remove them. Did you ever turn the nuts around so they were on the inside of the cabin?
4. Why did you not decide to put the hatches on the roof where they wouldn't been seen at all for maximum stealth? I know that they fit well in the door space. But, couldn't you have also got just as much cross ventilation from them on the ceiling? They look surprisingly industrial and I think it's a good stealth look.
5. Why did you choose laundry bins verses a one tall or multiple tall units and the bed to just go somewhere within these units?
6. Have you ever thought one using many blankets and sleeping bags so you are warmed from the top as well as bottom all night?
7. Sometimes we all travel in dangerous, your wording was "unsavory" neighborhoods. Did you ever worry that you only have one exit out of the unit or for a fire?
Your layout and set-up is wonderful. Thank you so much for your comprehensive posts and your honesty so we can all learn.

Thank you for your posts. I have some questions, if I may:
1. I am a huge Toyota fan my self with the low maintenance. I don't know if I can rest if I get anything other than a Toyota the next time. I got my vehicle new and it's now historic without one problem. Therefore, I am in the market for another boondock vehicle. Did you ever consider the Sienna Minivan? It has 150cf behind the front seats as compared to 165cf, though it's lower in height. I know you drive trucks and it looks like a mom van, was that part of your reasoning?

I think the Toyota Sienna is a better stealth and fuel mileage vehicle than what I have. I was in the oilfield when I bought my truck, it was what was required to get to rigsites.

2. I was surprised that your front hatch wasn't more comprehensive to the larger size of the truck's window. Did you ever consider anything else that would have been larger?
On
I went with the simple, low cost approach with those hatches. I was looking for a larger deck hatch when I saw the round ones. I was loath to hack up the shell and lose head room. I saved 100s of $ with these hatches.

3. In the picture of the hatch on the rear doors, the nuts are facing out where someone could remove them. Did you ever turn the nuts around so they were on the inside of the cabin?

The nuts are on the inside, maybe the doors were open?

4. Why did you not decide to put the hatches on the roof where they wouldn't been seen at all for maximum stealth? I know that they fit well in the door space. But, couldn't you have also got just as much cross ventilation from them on the ceiling? They look surprisingly industrial and I think it's a good stealth look.

Thanks, mostly cost and not wanting to cut into the shell was the reason.

5. Why did you choose laundry bins verses a one tall or multiple tall units and the bed to just go somewhere within these units?

The laundry bins fit under the plywood floor better, but it's always in a state of flux as I find better ways of doing things.

6. Have you ever thought one using many blankets and sleeping bags so you are warmed from the top as well as bottom all night?

I have a Mr Buddy heater and I just bought an ElectroWarmth 12v heating pad.

7. Sometimes we all travel in dangerous, your wording was "unsavory" neighborhoods. Did you ever worry that you only have one exit out of the unit or for a fire?

Yes, that is a concern. I do have a fire extinguisher, smoke and CO2 detector. That is where the van is a better choice. I guess you can't eliminate all risk in life..

Your layout and set-up is wonderful. Thank you so much for your comprehensive posts and your honesty so we can all learn.

Thank you for your kind words. I'm here to pass on what I have learned and to learn from everyone here, as I already have. This is an awesome site and I really appreciate Bob providing it to us.

Stopped back in for a visit - you've done a great job with this build. Glad to see things are working out as you want. It seems like more people here are learning from you, than you from them. The detailed posts and updates have been appreciated.

Thanks Seraphim, but believe me when I say that I get as much as I give on this site.This site has been an inspiration to me since 2008 when I first became aware of it. I have studied all of the posts on dealing with life on the road and maintaining stealth. These skills have served me well as an OTR truck driver too.

My goals are being checked off as I'm keeping my nose to the grindstone. My Taco will be paid off in 3.5 months, leaving me only cell phone, storage and car insurance to pay. I want to buy a 6'X12' trailer to replace my storage unit and one line will be dropping off my cell plan in July. I plan to get off the truck in Nov of this year and never driving more than 6 months annually. This will be a last resort as I have some other options I'm exploring..

Just bought a locking hitch pin for my drawbar which has to be found in storage. A deep cycle battery is the next item on the list. I'm investigating solar power options too.

I bought a 24" Vizio smart TV with a USB port and online services (Netflix ect) loaded in it. I also bought an inexpensive LG bluray DVD player. This equipment is being used in the big truck, but will be perfect for my BOV (Bug Out Vehicle) later on..
IMAG0074_zpsmhisx8ta.jpg

My work truck, a 2011 Volvo..

IMAG0045_zpsjug8sety.jpg

Headed east on I 90 out of Sumner, WA, Snoqualmie Pass.

IMAG0052_zpsrmpblmoy.jpg

I drove a Volvo for awhile. Alotta the other drivers (the LargeCar boys) looked down on them as not 'real' trucks...

...but all I know is that it rode so good that I could put a cup o coffee on the dash, and it wouldn't spill! :)

nice blog!

I drove a hood too, W900, wouldn't want to go back to it, the Volvo drives and handles a lot better with much more room inside. With the tightening fuel standards, the long hood large car's days are numbered.

Got some hometime, so along with a dentist appointment and meeting some friends, I replaced the battery with a new one from Walmart. Decided to not to drop the $ on fancy one right now, as I'm about the pay off the truck in 1-2 weeks. As my dad says, the best vehicle you can have is a paid off vehicle. Lol

Watching a very interesting documentary about tiny houses on Netflix. The occupants of these hones share the same mindset of us CheapRVers.

TINY: A Story About Living Small
http://imdb.com/rg/an_share/title/title/tt2450264/

Happy Independence Day everyone. I hope you are with loved ones today to celebrate the freedom of the greatest country in the world.

On that note, it's financial freedom day for me as I just paid my truck off 3.5 years early. Moving closer to the true freedom of the CheapRVliving lifestyle as I plan to be only part timer by year end.