Thinking of buying a utility shell for a stealth/adventure vehicle camper.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the battery info. Having driven OTR for 3 years, I've learned (the hard way) about draining batteries. The big rigs typically have 3 large batteries in parallel and my old Coleman cooler could drain them overnight. The ARB fridge I now have uses a fraction of the power with an automatic low voltage shut off. When I'm in the back, I have two 12v drop lights as well as battery LED dome lights. I use very little power in the back. I just had a remote start security system installed, so I can start the truck from the back as well.
I'm going to buy this Equus battery monitor too.

45E4033A-EB46-4A2F-88C6-32D1B84B9BC9-1698-000002DED9B909C9_zps186c747b.jpg

I'm not going to replace the battery until I need to, then I'll look at deep discharge as well as the Odyssey battery's.

Thanks accrete! I actually have two threads running over there on the Expedition Portal. Any vehicle is a compromise, so you must prioritize needs. I wanted go anywhere mobility, stealth & cost effectiveness. I had to give up space, amenities & comfort. With my OTR experience and nomadic work conditions, this was the best rig for me.. I only sleep in the back, not live, that's the what outside or the cab is for. I'm comfortable and I can handle all of my day to day living needs with a little resourcefulness.
I love this forum as there are so many ideas and approaches to van dwelling and cheap RV living.. I learn something every time I come here..

Acreet, I just read your taco and Chevy build threads. I think we might have been seperated at birth, loll. I looked at that same ARE shell and door for my previous 2004 Tacoma. I also considered a van seriously too. I definitely think there are some comfort and space advantages to the van. I agree that the Chevy 5.3 is a tough motor to beat for fuel economy. I've had that motor in two past Suburbans.
I really like that high top conversion on your van..
Great build!

It's been said i do have a twin out there : )<br><br>THX for the kudos on the builds. <br>The van is a nice way to go for my wife and i for adventures. It is her daily driver and is about max on size IMO for such use. But now that she has some bling on the wheels she likes it even more. Gotta keep the ladies happy!<br><br>The ARE shell on the TACO was well made and worked out for a sleep area for the two of us with storage under for the season we had that Truck Tent out the back, sure added some nice room at camp.<br><br>Cheers,<br>Thom

Not a lot going on at this time, just got laid off from the oilfield, no comment as to my opinion as to why.. My bumpers will be on a temporary hold until I rejoin the workforce. I'm not awfully worried as I still have a CDL in my wallet and can go right back to an old trucking job. I almost paid off everything last year other than the purchase of my newer truck, so my needs are few. Life experiences and a lot of inspiration from this main site have helped me recalibrate my life from consumerism, debt and stress, to a more peaceful, simpler life. I'm waaaay happier now than previously.

I'm currently in San Diego on my dad's sailboat helping him to get it back in shape. We are talking about going cruising. I'll probably home base here, do some part time trucking and use my truck as an adventure escape vehicle..

Did a free mod on it by debadging/dechroming it. I'm getting black bumpers and I want to trade my grill for a black one. Being a biker, I identify with chrome don't get ya home, but black will get ya back, lol

With the badges:

55F9C9B4-76C4-4891-AC92-33F624DB4871-2150-00000336E14C2E0C_zps7b1e6206.jpg

After debadging:

91E15663-0274-4A37-B622-F0A94D8C3CBA-2150-00000336E739DDD4_zps57872695.jpg

Yep, de-badged looks better!

One of the first things i did when I got my Camry was to de-badge it, and get rid of the rear license plate holder with the dealer's name and logo on it. Now, even though it still has Totota emblems on the trunk and hood, folks will ask me what kind of car it it! I guess if it's not spelled out for them right under their noses, they're clueless.

"It's a Toyota model Toyota!"

second the thumbs up on debadging...it was something we did on our taco also...that and my wife color matched the toyota emblem in the grill. <br>Best wishes on the continued employment and simpler life!<br><br>Work is HIGHLY over rated!<br>Thom

Thanks for the thumbs up.. I'm glad the truck is white, because I think I would have had a Tacoma silhouette from the paint fade around the badge with a darker color.

I got creative and rigged up a faucet to my water jerry can. About $3 worth of parts at Home Depot. Don't have to drag the can out to put the spout on. The faucet gives a real good flow and is now leak free after some work with washers and plumbers tape.

28D9C4C8-3654-4BCD-BF6D-1E2BF3778409-214-0000006A401A877F_zps43e97b01.jpg

Telcobilly, &nbsp;Thanks for all the great info! &nbsp;I really like your set-up. &nbsp;Before I found your rig, I had wondered if anyone would use the ARE shell as you have. &nbsp;You have picked a fine city to park yourself, San Diego is one of my favorites!<br>-AK<br><br>

Thanks AK, actually my shell is a Durashell 165 (CU ft) from Fleetwest in Tempe, AZ. I did look at an ARE for my previous truck, but I liked the room this one offers, without having to get an actual truck camper.

Telco, can you list the parts that you used to put the valve on the water jug? &nbsp;Thanks Curt

Curt, I used a PVC faucet with 1/2" ID female threads, an in-line coupler with 1/2" male threads and some O rings/yard hose washers. I drilled the lid that is screwed down to the jerry can and simply fastened the faucet to the lid with the coupler. See my crude diagram below. All parts were about $3-$5 total.

F7F3A9CD-BFBE-4BD4-BE1A-97D015B277CA-1434-000002F29581F0DC_zpsada28078.jpg

I'll try to get actual pix of the faucet and lid.

Telcobilly said:
Got the ARB 47L fridge/freezer today. It fit perfectly and is easy to access through the rear half door. Playing around with the settings and checking how effective it is. If its as good as they say it is, I'll be able to have whatever food I want with me.

DFA3E60B-B015-422D-9001-E6E5E517B7A9-2908-00000396D11C81C5.jpg

Hey TelcoBilly, how is this working out for you? I've been considering going the same way with the ARB fridge because it's much less than the Engle. Im curious to know if its doing the job, doing the job as well as the Engle. You know, save me the experiment.

Saguache,
Happy to help even though my experience is minimal. I loaded some perishables like milk cheese and butter in Dallas and took them to San Diego. It was ice cold and fresh when I arrived and I camped out for a night on the way. I'm happy with mine and the minimal load it puts on the battery, even when the engine is off. The acid test will be in the summer...

Not a lot of news to report, but I'll be picking up my bumpers in Texas next week and will have to install them myself. Also my water faucet has been relentlessly leaking, so I bought a two inch long 1/2" diam threaded sleeve and a 3" square of rubber gasket material to make new gaskets. Just reinstalled it and no leaks..

DB78615C-C602-411A-BE93-4DB8A11B2B42-7863-00000C8021FFA538_zps938674a7.jpg

I cut out the black rubber gasket inside the threaded collar. There is a garden hose washer between the faucet and jerry can lid. I replaced the small black fitting in the picture with the two inch long threaded fitting, one end screwed into the faucet the other end in the white nut in the pictured assembly. Still only $6 in the whole thing with some fiddling to get it working right.

8EFBF33C-0EC1-4CD3-A17F-2087C06131D0-7863-00000C801B0DA6F1_zps49fc0202.jpg

I cut out a gasket from the rubber material in the pic which I believed fixed the leak.

EDIT: It took a couple more tries to get a completely leak proof faucet. I cut a larger gasket from the small sheet and I replaced the garden hose washer between the faucet edge and jerry can lid with a larger fiber washer. I tightened the faucet and jerry can lid very tight by hand. Haven't seen a leak in 2 days. If I knew it was going to be such a hassle, I don't know if I would have bothered....

Just got back from my road trip to Texas and Oklahoma with my dad and along with our business I picked up my bumpers from Tough Country in El Campo, TX. They are definitely, big stout and heavy. Probably not the first choice for most Tacoma owners, but my goal is durability and function over form.
Just installed the rear bumper this afternoon thanks to a kind soul in the parking lot taking pity on me and my dad by helping us wrestle it on.

PROS:
Will protect the camper shell much better in a rear ender due to the strength and additional length aft. Boxes the frame for greater strength. Gloss black finish is easy to touch up, won't dent like stock flimsy bumpers. Rear step area is larger so getting in and out of the camper is easier.

CONS:
It's heavy! Kind of industrial looking. I'm sure the weight is going to ding fuel mileage again.

366DE1A8-0BA8-47E4-9B11-DEB622E888E0-1898-0000021588A000C0_zpsc2feb96f.jpg

DE23B38C-13A5-4293-9CDB-6C44B43A74CE-1898-00000215816216C4_zpsdcce9e70.jpg

The front bumper still in my dad's truck.

6F21B16E-21E8-4534-8CF7-0A993435DE03-1898-000002157C46DF76_zps96ac2fa7.jpg

BTW, no leaks from the jerry can faucet in 3 weeks..

<a style="color: #000000; text-decoration: none; white-space: nowrap;" href="/profile/1926835" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">Telcobilly</a>,<br>I updated my Truck build info section, see some pics of what I do with the little heater. You might want to keep one of the WalMart sleeping bags, you can put it under, inside or ontop of your other quilted one for added warmth.&nbsp;<br><br>Very nice Toyota there, very nice!&nbsp;<br>if you can rig it, or just plain put it outside at night a hose to a 20lb propane tank with save you tons of money for the heating and cooking use.<br>cheers<br><br>edit.. sorry, did not see the 4 pages in between you buying the new Toyota and to the page 8! sorry, but I like the new look much better as well,<br>cheers again

Thanks Wilderness, if I'm in that cold situation again, I plan to buy a longer heater hose and a 20lb bottle. The little green cans are very wasteful..