The upgrade Dodge van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steamjam1

Reaction score
I've been thinking about upgrading for months, and now I've gone and done it.

I walked out of my class finals on Friday and today I went and bought another van.

Its a 1985 Dodge Van-Charger high top 4wd
2z3ukck.jpg

It needs alittle work like I'll haveto take it into surgery to repair some body damage that's on the driver rear quarter, and it needs an interior revamp. I just drove this 165 odd miles from buying it and it's not too bad other then needing new tires. But for $900.. I couldn't say no.

$900!!!!!!!?????

They could have asked $9000! They wouldn't get it, but they could start there. Amazing deal, one of the best I ever heard of. Who did the conversion, can you tell?
Bob

Your blog says your going to restore the side doors back to stock.

I am almost 6’2” and if you are tall you will want the extra door height for easier egress.

You bought that for the cost of scrap value. The eight lug one ton suspension is a big bonus too.

dvdchris said:
10 years newer than Uncle Rico's van!

I nearly bought a Santana turtle top (Uncle Rico Van) that was for sale locally for $950 but got cold feet over it.

$900 is a smokin' deal!!! Plus that 4 x 4 will keep you from getting stuck in the sand at the beach when you go surfing!

Who's this Uncle Rico???

akrvbob said:
$900!!!!!!!?????

They could have asked $9000! They wouldn't get it, but they could start there. Amazing deal, one of the best I ever heard of. Who did the conversion, can you tell?
Bob

It's a landmark conversion. It has a fold out bed in the back and that's about it other then paneling and carpet. The most I have ever seen a Van charger go for is $6000 and around here in Ca I usually see these for for the 2-3K range in O.K shape.

The only reason I bought this van is it being a 1985. If it was an '84 and older I would have skipped it. Van chargers up to '84 were full time 4wd using non selectable hubs and NP203's. In '85 they went to selectable hubs and either NP205 or BW1345. (Mines got the preferred NP205.) I personally do not like full-time 4wd and I didn't want to spend the extra money to convert such a van to part time. So when this '85 popped up I snatched it up.

For the money I spent on it, I'd say I did pretty good. The engine, although it needs a tune up ran decently enough and the transmission shifts well. On the road it drove true and straight. On my way up to the ranch where I staying I popped 'er in 4wd on the 5 mile long dirt driveway and this thing can climb mountain sides with all that torque the 360 engine makes. And I got about 15mpg on my way back from buying it. Not bad for such a monster.

It's got some problems tho. The driver side rear corner is badly damaged from an accident. I inspected the frame and floor long with the drip rail alignment and it appears to only be the cosmetic outer sheetmetal that is crumpled up. The back doors are in good condition and still open and close nicely.

The power steering is out. Trying to maneuver a 6000lb battering ram with a non functioning power steering system on the surface streets of San Francisco on my way home yesterday was THE most challenging thing I have ever tried.

The power brakes are malfunctioning. Trying to stop a 6000lb battering ram with a broken power booster on the surface streets of San Francisco on my way home yesterday was also the most challenging thing I have ever tried.

The interior is a disaster. About the only thing I don't haveto tear out and redo is the high top's headliner.

Stay tuned everyone! I'm going to be making a few junk yard runs over the next few weeks as I need a new non-tilt steering column. Mines got a tilt, and Dodge van tilt steering columns are garbage and it'll break if you stare at it too long.

I have everything else I need to restore it on a parts 4x4 Dodge van I have sitting around which I *think* is either a Quigley, or a Salem/Kroger conversion. At any rate, its so badly rusted its only good for its parts.

Nice find. I'd love to have the standup room.

(That $3.99 for regular sign in the background gives a clue as to why they let it go so cheap)

I know that gas station. Used to live up the road at the harbor.

Nice find! I agree that the extra height for the doors is pretty sweet, even if they do stand out a bit.

Looks like a great place to start. Congrats on the find!

Good for you Pak! You are well established and able to store non-running parts vans and things picked up for free, thus reducing costs. Could you please enlighten me via PM on the junkyards you plan to visit* (other than Pick & Pull), how you don't need to pay for a storage unit since you got social connections, and how you personally formed your "I help you-BEFORE-You help me" social connection network.

*Before telling me to just GOOGLE it, These kind of places are next-to-impossible to find on a web search or online business listings.

I did a full inspection of the van the other day. This is clearly not going to be a "straighten out the rough edges and go van dwelling" project. Instead, about the only thing I don't have to tear down and rebuild are the engine and drivetrain.

Here is the damaged driver rear quarter: I tore into the wall paneling and looked at the backside of that panel looking for how extensive the damage is. The floor is slightly buckled on the outside of the frame and the wheel well has torn away, but the frame itself is undamaged. Whatever smacked into this van was heavy and very tall and luckily it was a glancing blow instead of a dead on impact.. :) I'm going to haveto cut out that panel using my plasma cutter, straighten out the floor and graft in another panel.
2d2a8lc.jpg

The interior is a mess. I'm going to tear out ever millimeter of that interior and just start over. The tilt column is busted, the seats are all tore up and nasty. There is a ton of mould back there and it's pretty gross. The fold out bed is going to get recovered and installed into my '89 once this van takes over the van-dwelling duties.
vr6ayu.jpg

260apgp.jpg

But the good news is that the engine/transmission/transfercase and suspension are in pretty good shape as well as the remainder of the body and the hightop.
wh0cit.jpg

2qtwggx.jpg

Keep a watch on this space!

Woo-Hoo!!!

Whadda score!!

It's cool that you have the tools and the know-how to get this bad-boy back into proper working condition. I love it!!