the Samsung Note 2 and unlimited data

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Richard,<br><br>I'd have to say yes and no to your question.&nbsp; You can't really hook up a Note 2 phone to any printer and start printing because a typical printer won't have the drivers to recognize a phone.&nbsp; You pretty much need a "real" computer or laptop for printing.&nbsp; However, I know that certain manufacturers are now starting to make printers specifically for printing from a smartphone. I've been reading about this lately, but the technology is still pretty new.&nbsp; I've been burned too many times in the past as a guinea pig adopting new technology, so I don't really feel like buying a new printer just for the purpose of trying to print from my phone. What I normally do is to email a file from my phone to a "real" computer that is hooked up to a printer.&nbsp; But based on what you are trying to do, or hoping to do, I'd have to say the answer is generally no, with the exception of those specialized printers coming into the market.<br><br>Casey

Thank you Casey,<br>When I get back to the US I'll be needing to purchase a good phone and find a provider that gives good access to all over the States for phone and internet. I've been out of touch with technology for a long time so I appreciate all the information that you and others here have been offering. <br>Richard

Yes and yes.&nbsp; Most cellphone have access to a PRINT TO PDF function in an application somewhere.&nbsp; Once you have the item printed to a PDF file, you can then email the PDF to a remote printing service (like FEDERAL EXPRESS office center).&nbsp; <BR><BR>You can do this with an IPHONE<BR><BR>You can use Google Cloud print to do this with an Android device running version 4.x or better.

Hi Richard,<br><br>You're welcome. &nbsp;I should let you know that my priorities might be different than yours. &nbsp;For me, data and speed are number one. The more data and faster the speed, the better. &nbsp;Verizon is consistently rated number for internet data speed with its 4G LTE service. &nbsp;I'd probably say AT&amp;T is number two. &nbsp;I need lots of fast data because I'm essentially using my smartphone as a mini computer that fits in my trouser front pocket. &nbsp;I'm constantly doing internet searches, and web page viewing, plus accessing a variety of apps that range from weather, music, videos, calendar/contacts, and on and on. &nbsp;My smartphone is my number one device for GPS driving navigation. &nbsp;I first do a search on a store or location I want to travel to, which in turn I simply click on the address for instant GPS driving navigation through the free Google Navigation service &nbsp;Plus, as I've mentioned previously, I use my phone for providing wireless wifi tethering to give internet access for my Android tablets and Windows laptops. &nbsp;I also keep in touch with friends via instant messaging and Facebook. &nbsp;The funny thing is that I only have the 450 minute talk time plan with Verizon, and I barely use maybe 150 minutes of talk time each month. &nbsp;I don't really talk very much by phone, as I value internet data much more for my needs. &nbsp;By the way, you might consider getting the new Samsung Galaxy S4 coming out very soon. &nbsp;I way prefer high end Android smartphones versus an iPhone. &nbsp;If I had to summarize the reasons why, it's because Android smartphones offer more variety in hardware configurations, plus Android is an open-source operating system, which means you can easily download apps through the Google Play store that allows you to lie, cheat, and steal, haha! &nbsp;With the Apple iPhone, Steve Jobs still needs to approve every app in his grave to make sure the app is on the up and up and doesn't interfere with any of his revenue sources such as iTunes, etc. &nbsp;That said, I know the iPhone is a great piece of hardware, it's just not suitable for my needs because of the way I do things.<br><br>Casey<br><br>

offroad,<br>Thanks for this information.<br>Looks like I'm gonna need to take a few classes when I return to the US as I have way too many basic questions. "Google Cloud print"? No need to explain any more to me as I think I would just bog down this post. But thank you all for this great info. I'm doing a copy and paste to a file so that when I do get to a class I can ask the teacher about everything that I don't understand.<br>Thanks again<br>Richard

Hi Casey,<br>I'm just totally amazed at what technology has to offer. <br>You seem to be very knowledgeable about these things and how you use your phone for almost everything&nbsp; in your daily life. I think I'll take your advice and this June buy a <span id="post_message_1277572355">new Samsung Galaxy S4 as my phone.<br>Thanks for all your advice,<br>Richard<br></span>

Hi Richard,<br><br>You're welcome. I personally don't think you can go wrong with the Samsung Galaxy S4. This will be a new high end Android phone with a larger 5" screen and extra cool technology built into it. Will probably take you at least a couple months to get used to it, but it will be fun!! &nbsp;The way I learned technology was by being an early adopter guinea pig for too many things in the past. &nbsp;I'm probably one of the first users of a wireless modem device called "Ricochet Wireless" some 15+ years ago, whereby a modem the size of a small rectangular brick was velcro taped to my $6,000 laptop, and the internet access was very spotty depending if the company had transmitters on top of telephone poles in my neighborhood. It literally took a few minutes just to load the home page! &nbsp;Sick, I know! Plus it was an expensive monthly service too because it was cutting edge, at least for its time. &nbsp;Back then, internet speed was measured in a terminology known as "Baum" if I recall correctly. &nbsp;My first internet speed was even slower than 56k dial up through a telephone land line. &nbsp;Remember AOL and those stupid metal cans of CDs that were sent to households? &nbsp;I actually used that stuff! &nbsp;To this day, my primary email address is still from AOL!! That's only because too many people still know me by that AOL address. &nbsp;For my own personal needs, I have a Gmail account whereby my phone automatically and wirelessly synchronizes both my calendar and contacts between my Gmail account and my phone. &nbsp;No more "Hotsynching" which was a term used by the now ancient Palm Pilot PDA (Personal Digital Assistant) devices whereby you had to use a silly cord between computer and device and press a stupid button to synchronize the data. That was high tech over 12 years ago, but now I look back at it and laugh.<br><br>By the way, in my opinion, the best cell phone major carriers in the U.S. are the following:<br>1) Verizon<br>2) AT&amp;T<br>3) everybody else (which includes Sprint, TMobile, Metro PCS (now part of TMobile)<br><br>The only carriers that still offer "un-limited" internet data are Sprint, TMobile, MetroPCS. &nbsp;TMobile only started offering unlimited data recently a few months ago in order to better compete against the other carriers.<br><br>If you will be staying mostly in the United States, I would say to go with Verizon. &nbsp;However, if you will be travelling to other parts of the world on a regular basis, I would say to get AT&amp;T instead, that's because AT&amp;T phones are based on GSM technology versus CDMA technology. &nbsp;This means you can pretty easily swap out a different SIM card from an AT&amp;T phone for that particular country and use the phone. &nbsp;You can't really do this with Verizon's CDMA technology. &nbsp;Since I pretty much never travel to other countries, Verizon works for my needs. &nbsp;However, if I were to travel regularly to other countries, I'd probably get an AT&amp;T phone instead. &nbsp;Neither Verizon nor AT&amp;T offer unlimited internet data for new customers, as they both stopped offering this awhile back. &nbsp;These 2 carriers only offer unlimited internet data if you were a customer prior to the termination of their unlimited data plans. That's why I still have unlimited internet data through Verizon because I was with them prior to their terminating their unlimited data plan. &nbsp;Did I mention that I blew through 23 GB of internet data through my phone last month?! &nbsp;That's my new record so far. &nbsp;Records are meant to be broken though, haha!&nbsp;<br><br>Casey<br><br><br><br><br><br><br>

Hi Casey,<br>That's valuable information about the AT&amp;T phones being able to swap out a different SIM card outside the US and not with Verizon.<br>Thanks,<br>Richard

Hi Richard, &nbsp;you're welcome. &nbsp;I know lots of people that bash AT&amp;T on a regular basis. &nbsp;I'm sure many of those complaints are legit, such as internet dead zones, dropped calls, etc. &nbsp;I personally don't like AT&amp;T either. &nbsp;But like I said, if I were a jet-setting globe-trotter, AT&amp;T would probably be my preferred choice despite whatever gripes about them. -Casey<br><br>

Hi Casey,<br>What type of monthly fees does Verizon charge you for your plan?<br><br>Richard

<p>Hi Richard,<br><br>I'm not sure if Verizon offers the plan I have. &nbsp;Nowadays, Verizon is pushing hard to sell their "share everything" plan. &nbsp;But their Share Everything plan really is only beneficial if a household has multiple members, plus use a variety of devices. &nbsp;In other words, for someone like myself as only 1 person, the Share Everything plan would be a detriment to me financially. &nbsp;If I had a family of 3 or 4 plus had multiple wireless devices, then it would be useful.<br><br>I have Verizon's 450 minute talk time plan, plus unlimited data (no longer offered), plus unlimited text messaging, plus roaming I think. The normal cost is approximately $100 a month for what I get, but due to a corporate discount, I'm getting something like 22% percent off the normal rate. &nbsp;Plus I also get 25% discount on all accessories purchased. &nbsp;I have no idea what rates are for AT&amp;T, but my guess is that it's similar to rates offered by Verizon. &nbsp;AT&amp;T is playing catch up to Verizon by adding more LTE networks to their coverage in the United States. &nbsp;Verizon started earlier with their LTE rollout, hence 4G internet data has a wider coverage by Verizon compared to AT&amp;T.<br><br>I will also tell you something that I'm sure some people would take exception to. &nbsp;Nowadays, the term "4G" is used very loosely by all the major carriers, whether or not they really do offer 4G internet data speed. &nbsp;In my opinion, the only carriers that offer "true" 4G internet speed are Verizon first, then followed by AT&amp;T. &nbsp;The other carriers such as Sprint, TMobile, MetroPCS say they also offer 4G internet data speed, but they are playing loosely with the terminology. &nbsp;Past issues of "Laptop Magazine" have done scientific tests of 4G internet speed by the major US carriers, and Verizon came on top. &nbsp;All the other carriers are joking when they say they also offer "4G" internet speed. &nbsp;Again, this is only my opinion, and I'm sure others would take exception to this. &nbsp;There may come a time in the future when internet speed will be much improved with the other carriers, but at this time Verizon and AT&amp;T are the best bet for fast 4G internet data speed. &nbsp;In case you don't already know, 4G speed is considerably faster than 3G speed. &nbsp;<br><br>By the way, here is another hallmark of 4G LTE internet data. &nbsp;Because Verizon offers "true" 4G LTE, this means phones capable of this feature are able to handle simultaneous talk and data. &nbsp;This means you can be talking on the phone and surfing the internet at the SAME time. &nbsp;Previously, only AT&amp;T phones with their GSM technology was able to handle simultaneous talk and internet data. &nbsp;But this is no longer the case. &nbsp;That's why I find it amusing when AT&amp;T shows their deceptive TV commercials that only their AT&amp;T phones can do simultaneous talk and data. FALSE!! Absolutely false advertising. &nbsp;Bad AT&amp;T, haha!<br><br>Casey<br><br></p>