The Russbus ;?D

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fearnoevil

Reaction score
So there's this idea that's been floating around in the back of my mind for a while now. It ties together several threads of interest ranging from tiny homes to permaculture, from living a carefree existence, off the grid (and no more working for the man) to my concerns about global climate change and the necessity of finding a place to hunker down to weather out the coming apocalypse, lol.;)

As one option, I had considered the gypsy way of life, once or twice in the past, yet there was always a certain connotation, in my own mind, equating such a lifestyle with somehow having failed at whatever it is I thought I was supposed to do in life. I suppose that's not uncommon, although I can't speak for anyone else, but I think it's ingrained in our culture, the American dream complete with the McMansion, 2.5 kids (or was it 3.5, I don't remember ;?), a timeshare in Hawaii maybe and retired by 65 (and often dead by 70, eek).:dodgy:

But then my life has been so far removed from that reality that I just never got close to it, and while I pursued a dozen other paths and dreams, that original idea often returned to nag and haunt me, often leaving me feeling guilty as if I was neglecting some duty or personal responsibility. Hell I still sometimes wonder what my life would've been like if I'd only "applied" myself, and stuck with one career, been a better father, a better husband, a better fill-in-the-blank, lol. It's certainly true that there is nothing worse in life than regrets ("I coulda been a contender" ;?), so it goes. But I digress, lol, sorry about the ramble.:blush:

Most recently these ideas have coalesced, sort of condensed into a sharp, clear image that's now beginning to make sense, especially because it coincides with a point in my life where I've made some important decisions about what I want to do with the rest of my life (and it only took fifty-some years to get there, lol). Funny thing is, I can see that this is where I probably should have been a long time ago <sigh> just couldn't kick that old recording (yeah, it's still playing, just more faintly and receding into the distance with time).

Anywho, to cut to the chase, that's what brings me here. I've decided that the first leg of my new life journey will be to build myself a sanctuary on wheels, an RV, but one with more emphasis on residential than recreational. Truthfully, up until a month ago I was planning on building a tiny house, I'm sure you're all familiar with that term. I've read all the books, got plans and everything, but when I really examined what it is I actually NEEDED to get going, it struck me that an RV is what I really need right now.

First I knew that I wanted to build it myself and after a lot of research (think I logged close to 60 hrs online in 2 weeks :-/) I knew that some kind of bus was the way to go. Then, as often happens in my life, things moved rather quickly from there - I REALLY had planned to take a LOT of time looking for just the right vehicle because I needed to find a great deal to fit in with my planned budget. But on the 2nd day of searching Craigslist I spotted this transit bus that sounded too good to be true. A 2004 Ford E450 V-10 city transit bus , in great condition the ad said, for just $3000. Downside, it was in Des Moines, about 125 miles away, but it happened to be a Sunday so I figured I had better go check it out before someone else scarfed it up.

For that price I wasn't expecting much, but to my surprise it was just as advertised, at least to my rather untrained eye. The mechanics seem solid - the engine starts and runs very smooth, automatic transmission shifts nicely, even has a bit of pep, and everything works (with the exception of the rear AC unit and needing a new battery for the wheel chair lift). No leaks, no smoke at all, and the chasis is in really good shape although there's a bit of rust. The body is in good shape for the most part, just a couple of small cracks in the rear and side, but there does appear to be quite a bit of delaminating going on as the sides are kinda ripply looking. But all in all I figure nothing that can't be fixed (I hope, lol), so I gave him $100 bucks to hold it till I could come get it the next weekend (and con some poor soul into coming with, heh).

Then to my great surprise, the guy calls Tuesday and says he's willing to BRING THE BUS TO ME!!! He needs the cash and he has to get it off the street due to complaints from some finicky neighbors (well he did have like 5 other cars in his drive and street :angel:). So that was like icing on the cake, lol, and sure enough it arrived the following day having made the trip without a hitch, SWEET!!! And although he didn't ask I even gave him $80 for the gas and his time, I was so psyched ;?D And so now she's sitting at the back of my property, kind of a blank slate just waiting for me to give her a makeover. Can't wait :cool::cool::cool:

Oh, I suppose after all this, you are expecting pictures?

Well happy to oblige, lol, here you go, and any and all thoughts and opinions are welcome btw ;?D

1.JPG2.JPG3.JPG4.JPG5.JPG

Hmmm, seems I can only post 5 pics per post?
Well here's the rest ;?D

6.JPG8.JPG9.JPG10.JPG7.JPG

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    161.1 KB · Views: 86
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    173.8 KB · Views: 82
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    162 KB · Views: 62
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    121.7 KB · Views: 60
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    173.7 KB · Views: 41
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    194 KB · Views: 44
  • 8.JPG
    8.JPG
    146.8 KB · Views: 67
  • 9.JPG
    9.JPG
    202.3 KB · Views: 62
  • 10.JPG
    10.JPG
    172.3 KB · Views: 77
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    208.7 KB · Views: 57
What a sweet ride! How many miles is on it? That's so cheap, and unique and cool. So many possibilities. Are you going to leave a row or 2 of seats in? When you're driving and have a passenger or more they'll need a place to sit. I'd say you really scored.

It looks like you got a great deal! I've always thought that a transit bus would be an ideal platform to build out mobile living quarters. It does look like there's some delamination but the bus probably has a metal frame so the structure should be solid. As long as you don't have any leaks inside you can get away with just caulking so that it doesn't get worse.

I love all of the windows but keeping them all is probably not very practical. Try to set it up so that you get good cross ventilation - very important if you do any boondocking in warm weather. Replacing some of the windows with sliding, screened RV windows would be nice. You might be able to find some that are the right size at a salvage yard.

If I were doing the build I'd keep the wheelchair door as the main entrance because it looks pretty water and airtight then you won't have to figure out a way to replace the folding door. You could fill in the floor beside the drivers seat and install another seat for a passenger.

Anyway thanks for posting all of the photos. I hope you keep this as a running thread and post more pictures of the tear down and building phases. Good luck and have fun!

Whoa, just reread what I wrote last, geez, talk about rambling (plz excuse my verbosity lol). In my defense I was just slightly (okay pretty well) inebriated when I got home last nite and I should know better :?o

Hey Bruce, yeah I really thought it was a price too good to pass up, although I did forget to mention that it has about 250k miles on her, so that may be why the guy priced it so low. But I did go home immediately and do some research on several Ford truck sites, and the opinions certainly did vary. A lot of the critical comments were stuff like "screw a gasser, get a diesel" and "V-10's get shite for mileage", but then lots of posters just love them and think that they're great engines (tho most agree on the mileage, but then most big trucks suck for mileage anyway).
And while certainly not common, I was told that these engines have been known to run well into the 300k's, and considering that these vehicles got regular maintenance every 5k, and the conditions under which they're driven probably didn't push them anywhere near their limits, it's quite possible that mine could get there (or it could drop dead tomorrow, vamos a ver eh?)
At worst I could be looking a another $3000 if I had to buy a used motor and tranny, but I do have some friends who could help (even got a neighbor who has a shop in his garage, lift, hoist and all that) so I'm aware of the possible downside. But even at $6000 it'd be in the ballpark of what I've seen for similar vehicles. I've checked CL several times before and since and the cheapest one I can find like mine was $6200 and several ranging into the $15000 and up, but in the end I'm hoping I can get another 40k to 60k out of her before that becomes a factor.
And the size/space is pretty cool, gives me some room to make things more livable, like a bigger bed and a decent sized bathroom, "luxuries" that I feel are necessities in the long run. I might leave a couple of seats up front for now so I can take friends along on some early test runs, still in the planning stages tho. ;?D

Four years ago I bought a 2002 sprinter van with 315,000 miles. It needed an egr valve. I bought it for $7,000 and spent 1,800 getting it fixed and serviced. Then I drove it, changed the oil every 10k miles, and rarely went over 60mph. I babied it, and she's still running strong. I get 25mpg from a 9 foot tall van. Well, I bought a new one, so now I'm selling the old one. Anyway, I think if you change the oil, and really baby your vehicle, it may go a long time. I love that it's a ford. I was considering buying a ford transit, since it's american, but the mileage can't touch my mb sprinter.

tonyandkaren said:
It looks like you got a great deal! I've always thought that a transit bus would be an ideal platform to build out mobile living quarters. It does look like there's some delamination but the bus probably has a metal frame so the structure should be solid. As long as you don't have any leaks inside you can get away with just caulking so that it doesn't get worse."

Hey Tony and Karen, thanks and I am hoping that it turns out to be just that, a great deal and not a great money pit, lol, but either way I figure it'll be a great learning experience and that's one of the reasons for doing this, I do enjoy learning new stuff :)
So far I don't see any leaks, and we did have a real t*rd-floater just last week, so that certainly was a good test (although driving in one could still reveal leaks you don't find sitting still, I'm thinking), so keeping my fingers crossed on that one.

I'm wondering though if the delamination isn't a sign of leakage in the outer walls? That's one thing I'm completely clueless about, how these things are constructed and what material's in em.
So to check, do you think I should try removing some of the interior skin to take a peek?

I love all of the windows but keeping them all is probably not very practical. Try to set it up so that you get good cross ventilation - very important if you do any boondocking in warm weather. Replacing some of the windows with sliding, screened RV windows would be nice. You might be able to find some that are the right size at a salvage yard.

Yes, on one hand I also like the windows, but too much kinda interferes with the privacy thing (don't want to shock the neighbors early in the a.m., lol) and too they aren't double-paned so I'm thinking they could make it tougher to heat/cool in extreme temps. Does that sound right? And thanks for the tip on the cross ventilation, makes good sense, just hope I can arrange the floor plan to accommodate it. Also when it comes to salvaged RV parts that's something that seems to be rather scarce around these parts, but if anyone knows better I'd sure appreciate a heads up or link (near being the Iowa City/Cedar Rapids area, although the Quad Cities is close enough in a pinch ;?).

" If I were doing the build I'd keep the wheelchair door as the main entrance because it looks pretty water and airtight then you won't have to figure out a way to replace the folding door. You could fill in the floor beside the drivers seat and install another seat for a passenger.

Anyway thanks for posting all of the photos. I hope you keep this as a running thread and post more pictures of the tear down and building phases. Good luck and have fun!
"

Hey turning that wheel chair door into the main access is a GREAT idea, and it does solve the replacing the folding door AND I did want to find a way to put a passenger seat up front. Take out the steps and it'd be another place to put storage too. But that presents a challenge about what to do for steps for the new entrance and I'm wondering how hard would it be to build stairs that slide out from below (plus have to see what's under there if it's even possible)? Oh the possibilites, lol ;?D

Bruce, that's what I'm hoping for, after doing a thorough tune-up, flushing and changing all the fluids, just make sure I stay on top of oil changes and regular maintenance and don't drive fast (and I think the gas mileage, or lack thereof, will keep my lead-foot in check, hopefully, lol). It'd be amazing if I could get another 100k out of her;?D As for mileage I think I'll be lucky to average 10 mpg, which does suck, but then with my plans I don't think I'll be putting more than 10k per year (but even that would be like $3800 in gas, sheesh ;?o).

Bruce, that's what I'm hoping for, after doing a thorough tune-up, flushing and changing all the fluids, just make sure I stay on top of oil changes and regular maintenance and don't drive fast (and I think the gas mileage, or lack thereof, will keep my lead-foot in check, hopefully, lol). It'd be amazing if I could get another 100k out of her;?D As for mileage I think I'll be lucky to average 10 mpg, which does suck, but then with my plans I don't think I'll be putting more than 10k per year (but even that would be like $3800 in gas, sheesh ;?o).

Hmmm, that's a rather hinky feature of the board, when you post a reply after your own post it simply adds it to that post, rather than make a separate post, and then it won't let you edit your recent post because it has set a limit of 5 minutes for editing a post and strangely it's calculating from the first post and not the second, grrr. So plz excuse the double post, I will have to see if I'm doing something wrong here....
;?D

My neighbor, who's a GM mechanic (and races cars on the side), came over and took a listen to the engine while I drove it up the highway and back. His opinion (as good as it can be without doing a more thorough diagnostic) is that it sounds really good, though there's a slight tick that could be a lifter and I probably have an exhaust leak somewhere, but other than that he said he was impressed considering how many miles she's got on her (and that it's a Ford, lol).
I gotta dig out my OBD II cable and hook her up to my lappy as there is an engine warning light, but then it could be just one of those little quirks older vehicles develop.

I started tearing out the seats and was pleased as punch to find they came out like a breeze, real easy. That is until I got to the side with the fold-up seats where I found myself dead in the water :?O The bolts on the fixed seat side screwed into nuts that were welded to the body (which makes sense), but the fold up side has bolts that go all the way through and have nuts on the under side of the frame, and are HARD AS HELL to loosen up, seriously hard, even my 18" breaker bar wasn't much help. And of course they're impossible to remove without help, grrr. PLUS only one seat can be accessed easily, the rest have nuts that are partially or fully hidden behind what looks like an AC unit (3 fans inside an aluminium box). So guess I have to take that off, unless I want to get a torch and burn the heads off, but I'd rather not cuz I'd like to keep the seat frames in good shape in case there's a market for them (plus I'm thinking about reusing at least 2 of them). So the fun begins.....

;?D

All older nuts and bolts should be treated with some penetrating fluid like PB blaster or Kroil.

WD-40 despite its claims, is not good for freeing seized bolts.

Cleaning the threads with a wire brush and perhaps a dental pick where they meet the nut will help the Penetrant to work.

Also a drift and a hammer beforehand on the nut itself can help greatly.

I don't attempt to loosen any questionable bolt/nut before a little tlc and penetrant is applied. Saves so much hassle in the long run.

A pair of vice grips can, in certain cases, act like a second pair of hands.

Thanks Sternwake, I did hit the top side with Liquid Wrench before starting (maybe why the fixed side came loose so easily) but when I looked underneath, it was a dirty mess, lot of mud caked on so think I'll try and hit em with a spray hose, then the LW and wait till tomorrow. I do have some vice grips but think they'll work better up top - for down below I ran and bought a 1/2" pneumatic impact driver (my little Bosch just doesn't have the grunt and besides been meaning to get one of those anyway ;?). Meanwhile I'm going to finish removing all the hardware and stuff after dinner ;?D

Oops, forgot I've got to lower that AC unit first. Just wondering if anyone's had any xp with one of these? It looks like there might be enough wires/tubing to lower it to the ground without having to disconnect anything, and while it's down I suppose I should check its condition (problem is I don't know what I'm looking for, lol).

use a cut-off wheel, and not a torch for cutting off any bolts.

You'll get much cleaner, tidier results, and you won't set your rig on fire as easily!! :D

DOH! Lol, thanks for steering me in a more practical direction Patrick, that would be a much better way to go. Although I don't have one, when I went to buy the impact diver I did look at a pneumatic one that was just $20 bucks at Menards. I almost bought it then, but I figured I'd wait till the need arose, guess I'm one step behind myself :dodgy:. It's at times like this when I remember what my father always used to say...

[video=youtube].

;?D

Sorry about not getting back to you sooner. We're in Nova Scotia, out of our US data service area, so all we have is WiFi wherever we can find it.

The best place to get RV salvage or surplus is Elkhart, Indiana. It's kind of far to drive but it might be worth it to look at the websites, make a list of everything that you'll need, then go shopping. A lot of stuff that they have isn't even listed on the websites so it's kind of treasure hunt at the stores.

http://www.rvsurplus.net/

http://bontragers.com/

I'm not sure how transit buses are constructed. I always thought that they used solid fiberglass panels so the delamination surprised me. Maybe you can take a peek at the construction from the inside somehow?

I was searching high and low for one of those with the Powerstroke in it, for years, I couldn't find anything close to a decent deal on one. Eventually I found one, very low miles, within a couple weeks of Christmas and the guy really needed the money, $4,500 would have sealed the deal. After checking it out I didn't feel it was the platform that would fit me best, I wanted more of a clean slate so to speak but I did really love the chassis and felt it would work great for somebody with a different vision. Nice work on the buy and good luck with the build, I've grown more fond of the v10 and would now choose it over the Powerstroke if given the option.

TonyandKaren, wow Nova Scotia, sounds like a real cool place (literally ;?) to be right about now, lol. Thanks for those links, could come in handy, being fairly close at least the shipping might be more reasonable on larger items. As for the construction, I do want to peel back the inner skin and take a gander, just haven't got to that yet, but on the outside there's a crack big enough that I could see what was delaminating and it does appear to be some kind of plywood and not sure if the outer skin is fiberglass or some other plastic/resin material. So I'm guessing moisture got under there, blew up the plywood which detached the adhesive. I don't know how much work it is or what it'll cost, but down the road I'd like to remove the "shell" and then side it with some kind of RV skin. Anyone got an idea how difficult/easy that would be (yeah, I know, easy probably ain't the answer, but then I am an optimist at heart, lol).

Thanks Tucson, I admit I wasn't sure if this was exactly what I wanted, but then this is a kind of intermediary step for me, my "ideal" setup might actually be a Tiny Home type of design, idk, but this will get me started, and the price was just too good to pass on. I'm torn between a gasser and a diesel, had both in the past (back when engines were quite a bit simpler too), and I was leaning towards a diesel because of the durability and the possibility of utilizing bio-fuels. But the newer ones are really expensive to repair and since my bio-fuel dreams are still quite a ways into the future, the V-10 will do for now, and I have read some pretty good reviews from other happy Ford owners (except for the LOW mileage :?o).

So just a couple of pics. The first two are of the fold-up seats. I really like these, they're really well made and quite comfy. I plan on dismantling one set (the one's at the very front of the bus) to see if I can flip the seats around to face towards the back. If it works I plan on reinstalling them so that a pair of them will create the "dining nook", just need to install a table in between them. Plan on using a marine style pedestal that will raise up and down so that it can be converted into a spare bed, then just have to figure out where to store a mattress (maybe go with an inflatable for now). Oh yeah, another nice feature is that they come with seat belts, so all legal and by the book, heh.

Fold down seats sm.jpg
Fold down seats2 sm.jpg

I created a work bench from a stainless steel table and 3 legs that I salvaged from my workplace about a year ago. I didn't know what to use it for, just hated to see it go to the scrap yard, lol, and now I finally have a use for it, hah (you can't see in the pic but it's strapped to the tree to keep it from going anywhere, so may be a bit of redneck in me somewhere ;?).

Work bench.jpg

Attachments

• Fold down seats sm.jpg
    Fold down seats sm.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 41
  • Fold down seats2 sm.jpg
    Fold down seats2 sm.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 32
  • Work bench.jpg
    Work bench.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 39
Try getting on www.skoolie.net lots of transits like yours there. Plus they can give you better conversion info than what you get here. Make sure you read the post on how to register for the site.

Can you post a close-up shot of the delamination?? I'm thinking you've got a fiberglass skin on there, but a close-up would do wonders.

btw...thanx for the video clip!! I dig Marty!! :D

Rose, I am now a member of skoolie.net and just found the short bus forum the other day so have been perusing that quite a bit last couple of days. Lots of good info, in fact there's one thread by a guy who has the same transit bus (diesel tho) and even his layout is a lot like how I'm planning mine (but then I suppose there's not that many options when space is this tight ;?).

Working 2nd shift and long hrs this week Patrick so haven't gotten round to taking a closeup, but we should be getting off early tomorrow so I'll get on it then. I hope it is fiberglass cuz I can work with that (itchy shite tho).

On closer examination, it looks like there are at least 3 different materials used. Up front, above and around the cab area, it looks like standard fiberglass as shown in the first pic.

GEDC0001.JPG

Then the corners and some other areas seem to be made out of a more solid material, maybe it's resin dk, where it needs to be tougher. Here's the big crack and you can see there's no fibers apparent.

GEDC0003.JPG

And then there's this stuff that makes up the largest part of the skin, I broke a small piece off and looks like 3/8" plywood with fiberglass and resin finish but really thin, less than 1/16" thick :?( Probably why it delaminated so much.

GEDC0007.JPG

Attachments

• GEDC0001.JPG
    GEDC0001.JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 27
  • GEDC0003.JPG
    GEDC0003.JPG
    90.9 KB · Views: 27
  • GEDC0007.JPG
    GEDC0007.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 24
Make that 3/16" plywood coated with about 1/16" fiberglass and resin. Although it's not anywhere near the top of my list, I'm wondering if there's an affordable way to re-skin these (like for under $1000)? Yeah, I won't hold my breath, lol, I can live with the wavy walls.

But I do plan on removing the inner walls during the demo to look for any egress of water and I wonder if there's some way to repair it from the inside??? I can't visualize anything that doesn't entail either scads of screws or pop-rivets and a lot of sealant...
;?D