The Right Van: Reliabilty, MPG and Suspension

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1. Long whelbase Savana with high top. Unless you are serious about 4x4 then go Ford. If no 4x4 you can go Dodge as well.

2. Jeep wrangler unlimited if you are seriously considering Chevy Astro.

3. Out of your price range and just for your information, the new Ford Transits using ecoboost engines should cause concern as the direct injection into the cylinders is a serious issue as the fuel does not clean the back of the valves and carbon builds up causing problems and only solution from what i know is to remove the head and clean / replace valves. With no dog house to remove for engine acces you have to drop the front end and motor. Just completely stupid stuff. Otherwise i like them.

VanoRama said:
1. Long whelbase Savana with high top. Unless you are serious about 4x4 then go Ford. If no 4x4 you can go Dodge as well.

2. Jeep wrangler unlimited if you are seriously considering Chevy Astro.

3. Out of your price range and just for your information, the new Ford Transits using ecoboost engines should cause concern as the direct injection into the cylinders is a serious issue as the fuel does not clean the back of the valves and carbon builds up causing problems and only solution from what i know is to remove the head and clean / replace valves. With no dog house to remove for engine acces you have to drop the front end and motor. Just completely stupid stuff. Otherwise i like them.

Thanks VanoRama I'll remember that about Ford Transits...I'm leaning towards the Chevy Express. I did hear that Fords were easier to convert to 4x4.  I had a Dodge van some years ago and I saw quite a few at the Rendevouz but I had so much trouble with it that I don't think I'll go back, honestl.

29chico said:
If you search Penske used trucks for " GMC Savana G33705 "  in the 2010 to 2012 range you will see what I'm suggesting you consider:

A one ton extended Savana van (same as the Express) with the 4.8L LS v8 and the 6L90E six speed trans. 

Surprisingly good MPG.  Lots of power.  With the Michelin LTS MS2 tires, Bilstein shocks and Roadmaster Active Suspension upgrade in the rear it drives & rides very well.

I bought a 2012 a few months back with under 54k miles on it.  They wanted $22k for it, talked them down to $19.5k.

They can be converted to 4x4.

I searched Penske for the above mentioned model and years along with $10-15k and there are 28 for your consideration...
Really interesting. I like that 6-speed tranny!  I llke that Penske is maintaining them as well.  I looked in Penske before but at the Chevy and there was nothing! I guess they mostly buy Savannas. What kind of mpg are you getting? I will check them out.

cortttt said:
Really interesting. I like that 6-speed tranny!  I llke that Penske is maintaining them as well.  I looked in Penske before but at the Chevy and there was nothing! I guess they mostly buy Savannas. What kind of mpg are you getting? I will check them out.

There are some good vans on there.  Any reason you recommend the one ton?

I have some good GMC memories. My dad had a Vandura that just went and went. It was our favorite family car.

cortttt said:

I have some good GMC memories. My dad had a Vandura that just went and went. It was our favorite family car.

I imagine that they don't have cruise control or CD players?

I recommend a 1 ton...
Heavy suspension (haul your stuff without squatting).
Bigger wheels, taller truck tires.
More ground clearance (think boondocking).

Those are my main reasons. This is my house and I don't want a van that won't handle my lifestyle.

cortttt said:

After putting on the tires shocks and an alignment I drove a 180 mile loop for mieage, did not go over 57mph.  Filled before and after at the same pump.  Got 23.6mpg.

Then installed an Autohome Airland roof tent and the rear suspension upgrade.  Once again drove it for mileage and got 24.8mpg!   Next I drove into a strong headwind for a couple of hundred miles on flat and sometimes rolling highway and the mileage dropped to 20.7mpg.   The van was very lightly loaded each time. I have not built it out yet.

cortttt said:

On vacation last spring I rented a 2015 Chevy Express 2500 with the same power train as my 2012.  Loved everything about it but the mushy suspension.  It got great MPG's also.

The 3500 is much better, not mushy.  Very little body roll in turns.  The rear suspension upgrade helped reduce body roll.

Bigger rear brakes as well.  Mine is white, not the Penske yellow.

Love the manual mode on the tranny.  The trans 5th and 6th gears are both overdrives & first is nice and low.  When approaching a hill I use manual mode to downshift just before the incline and have learned to judge how many gears to downshift according to the grade.  Way better than letting the van slow down & downshift by it's own on the hill, results in better MPG's.  The six speed became standard in 2010.

Not sure if all of the six speed vans have the manual mode.  Pretty sure that 2012 & up has manual mode.  If it has it, there will be a rocker switch on the gear shift handle.

29chico said:
After putting on the tires shocks and an alignment I drove a 180 mile loop for mieage, did not go over 57mph.  Filled before and after at the same pump.  Got 23.6mpg.

Then installed an Autohome Airland roof tent and the rear suspension upgrade.  Once again drove it for mileage and got 24.8mpg!   Next I drove into a strong headwind for a couple of hundred miles on flat and sometimes rolling highway and the mileage dropped to 20.7mpg.   The van was very lightly loaded each time. I have not built it out yet.

Whoa! That's better than my 4Runner.  That 6speed must make a big difference. I would be happy with 18 - which I didn't think I would get.  Good news. If I get one and it's looking like I may I will be happy with 18.

Thanks...

29chico said:
On vacation last spring I rented a 2015 Chevy Express 2500 with the same power train as my 2012.  Loved everything about it but the mushy suspension.  It got great MPG's also.

The 3500 is much better, not mushy.  Very little body roll in turns.  The rear suspension upgrade helped reduce body roll.

Bigger rear brakes as well.  Mine is white, not the Penske yellow.

Love the manual mode on the tranny.  The trans 5th and 6th gears are both overdrives & first is nice and low.  When approaching a hill I use manual mode to downshift just before the incline and have learned to judge how many gears to downshift according to the grade.  Way better than letting the van slow down & downshift by it's own on the hill, results in better MPG's.  The six speed became standard in 2010.

Not sure if all of the six speed vans have the manual mode.  Pretty sure that 2012 & up has manual mode.  If it has it, there will be a rocker switch on the gear shift handle.
Thanks. I will find out which vans have manual mode and look for it. 

Do you keep it any RPM's on hills or just where it feels right?

cortttt said:
Whoa! That's better than my 4Runner.  That 6speed must make a big difference. I would be happy with 18 - which I didn't think I would get.  Good news. If I get one and it's looking like I may I will be happy with 18.

Thanks...

It is not just the trans, the 4.8 LS series v8 has variable valve timing on both the intake and exhaust.  GM has done a great job programming the power control module (PCM) to make the engine and trans work together.  Valve and ignition timing along with air/fuel mix and trans parameters are constantly being adjusted like a symphony to increase both mileage and power.  Makes a big difference.  You can really feel the PCM doing it's magic as you climb a hill, you have to back off the throttle to keep from accelerating as the PCM optimizes the drive train parameters for that specific situation.

One MPG improvement scheme that it DOES NOT have is cylinder deactivation, called AFM by GM.  Very happy NOT to have it.  Kind of like how I'm very happy to have crank up, not electric, windows.

cortttt said:

Thanks..
The Chevy manuals suggest that the manual mode is standard on the 6-speed dating back to 2010. If someone is looking for a 6speed they should know, though, that the 2010 model also came with a 4speed tranny.
This has been very enlightening - thanks!

29chico said:
It is not just the trans, the 4.8 LS series v8 has variable valve timing on both the intake and exhaust.  GM has done a great job programming the power control module (PCM) to make the engine and trans work together.  Valve and ignition timing along with air/fuel mix and trans parameters are constantly being adjusted like a symphony to increase both mileage and power.  Makes a big difference.  You can really feel the PCM doing it's magic as you climb a hill, you have to back off the throttle to keep from accelerating as the PCM optimizes the drive train parameters for that specific situation.

One MPG improvement scheme that it DOES NOT have is cylinder deactivation, called AFM by GM.  Very happy NOT to have it.  Kind of like how I'm very happy to have crank up, not electric, windows.

Good to know thanks.

Looking at the practicality of a used 1500 Chevy express with AWD. They are available for $10000 used depending on mileage. Usually somewhere around 150000 miles.

Now am thinking to get one and plan on an engine upgrade in the next five years if it needs it.

Have to look at the practicality of finding one. Shopping online is not showing any 2500 that are lower price.

Vanorama mentioned long wheelbase gmc high top with AWD. Why is that any different from a Chevy 1500 express AWD ? Are they not the same vehicle mostly ?

Goshawk said:
Looking at the practicality of a used 1500 Chevy express with AWD. They are available for $10000 used depending on mileage. Usually somewhere around 150000 miles.

Now am thinking to get one and plan on an engine upgrade in the next five years if it needs it.

Have to look at the practicality of finding one. Shopping online is not showing any 2500 that are lower price.

This looks like a good resource for 4x4 conversions - http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/forums/58-4wd-%28and-2WD%29-Camper-Vans

Goshawk said:
Vanorama mentioned long wheelbase gmc high top with AWD. Why is that any different from a Chevy 1500 express AWD ?  Are they not the same vehicle mostly ?

If we are talking about a Savana GMC 1500 van with AWD, then yes, mostly the same as a Chevy 1500 express AWD.  Made 2003-2014. 

They never got the 6 speed tranny, what a shame.