The Return of the Newbie

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey There Fellow Wanderers -

I’m back, and this time with a van!

Back in April I finally took the plunge and sold my most loyal SUV and bought a 1996 Ford E150 Turtle Top Weekender Class B with 110K.
I’ve named her Shelly. (Turtle Top..Shell…hehe)

00I0I_kQhadJMmVOB_600x450.jpg00O0O_gACV7FHnaz1_600x450.jpgTurtleTopVanCamper003.jpgTurtleTopVanCamper001.jpg

She was quite a steal for the price, has a strong engine and trans, almost no rust,
and best of all she came with so many things that I had planned on outfitting a van with!

Rooftop AC
Kitchenette, hot plate, sink and water setup, microwave, 120/12v fridge
Shore power/House battery
Chemical toilet
Living/dining area with bench seats that fold into a bed
TV and VCR
The vent fan didn’t work but at least the hole was already there and made replacing it easier.
There is some type of heater that I haven’t really explored yet.
Didn’t even have to buy a Carbon Monoxide Detector, there’s one hard wired in.

She did need some attention to be road “worthi-er”: new front end, front brakes, pin hole in radiator patched, new light truck tires and spare, and a fuel filler neck tube.

I’ve customized her a bit. Removed some things I won’t use in favor of space. Pulled up her carpet and laid vinyl plank flooring. Livened up the kitchen with some paint and curtains. Installed some rain guards for the front windows and bought some mosquito netting.

She’s thrown a check engine light a couple of times, but it’s always resolved itself so far.
I tell ya it’s been quite a transition for my nerves to go from a low maintenance foreign SUV to a 19 year old van. At first I dreaded any light or gauge going off. My whole body would tense up and I was sure I had made a huge mistake buying this van. And then one day the Zen set in, and I became at peace with whatever might happen. This oversized, old, imperfect van was my vehicle now, and it was okay. And my whole being sighed in relief. I had been trying to control so hard for so long. I was finally being released from the death grip of the fear mongering consumerism driven society I so desperately wanted to distance myself from.

I took her on her maiden voyage to the UP of Michigan, slept right on the shores of Lake Superior.

0612151717r.jpg

So thank you to all of the car/van dwelling, RV’ing, Facebooking, YouTubing, documentary making, blogging, commenting, road warriors for all of the info I have gleaned over the last two years. Thank you for keeping the dream alive. I may have to dwell closer to home for the time being, but I’m so looking forward to being a part of this community!

Happy trails,
Christine
(DMV)

Attachments

• 0612151717r.jpg
    0612151717r.jpg
    651.6 KB · Views: 9
  • TurtleTopVanCamper003.jpg
    TurtleTopVanCamper003.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 21
  • TurtleTopVanCamper001.jpg
    TurtleTopVanCamper001.jpg
    271.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 00I0I_kQhadJMmVOB_600x450.jpg
    00I0I_kQhadJMmVOB_600x450.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 00O0O_gACV7FHnaz1_600x450.jpg
    00O0O_gACV7FHnaz1_600x450.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 9
Nice van, similar interior to my Chevy G20 Jayco conversion van, but I don't have the toilet or stove. Neat pictures, have fun!

Christine, I know exactly what you are talking about!! Many of us come to that Zen point where everything is okay! I've known a few for whom it was sudden or at least quick. For me it was gradual until one day I realized I was at peace.

However it happens, I'm glad you found it and wish it for everybody in this forum!
Bob

Shelly looks wonderful, congratulations!

Nice. Great van. The UP is definitely on my list of places to see in the coming months.

Nice looking rig!
I was also thinking that '96 didn't sound so old !
Mine's an '81.
The only way to get something with "NO" problems is to buy new,and sometimes that doesn't work either !!!

Life in a vehicle out on the open road really doesn't have more problems than driving around in little circles around a stix n brix home and none of the problems and expenses of the stix n brix either.
Problems happen , you fix them and move on with your life . Happens to everybody.

I've been happily enjoying the road zen for what seems like forever now , in 5 different vehicle homes, I can't even remember what life was like before I started living on wheels ................................................

rvpopeye said:
Nice looking rig!
Mine's an '81.
The only way to get something with "NO" problems is to buy new,and sometimes that doesn't work either !!!

Life in a vehicle out on the open road really doesn't have more problems than driving around in little circles around a stix n brix home and none of the problems and expenses of the stix n brix either.
Problems happen , you fix them and move on with your life . Happens to everybody.

I've been happily enjoying the road zen for what seems like forever now , in 5 different vehicle homes, I can't even remember what life was like before I started living on wheels ................................................
I am not a person prone to envy, but this post brings it out in a rush. I live a happy, mostly balanced life, I'm not entrenched in place or employment, if either doesn't meet my needs I'm not afraid to move on... but the complete freedom of the VanDweller life is my dream and not my wife's, so we compromise and I yearn quietly.

akrvbob said:
Christine, I know exactly what you are talking about!! Many of us come to that Zen point where everything is okay! I've known a few for whom it was sudden or at least quick. For me it was gradual until one day I realized I was at peace.

However it happens, I'm glad you found it and wish it for everybody in this forum!
Bob

Thanks Bob! It's nice to be understood. I hope everyone here finds their peace too. You and your site have been such an inspiration in seeking my van bliss. Thanks for sharing all that you do. I look forward to crossing paths with you one of these days.

-Christine

rvpopeye said:
Nice looking rig!
Mine's an '81.

Thanks rvpopeye!

'96 really isn't that old. My anxiety over making the move really made those car years seem much longer. I really wanted to go older. I like the character and body style of the older vans. I looked at a '72 Ford Turtle Top and loved it. Maybe I can paint a wild stallion mural on the side of the '96 to give it that vintage feel.

Looking forward to my years of zen on the road...

-Christine

ramblingvanman said:
Nice. Great van. The UP is definitely on my list of places to see in the coming months.

Thanks ramblingvanman. The UP is magical. You're missing mosquito season right now, so that's good. They're out of control up there this time of year. They say to pack for all four seasons up there and that's no joke. Woke up in chill and fog, and a mile and half down the road it was sunny and 15 degrees warmer. I changed my clothes three times in one day!. The whole UP has jumped on the tourist wagon, every business has a pamphlet stand of must see attractions. Can't really blame 'em though, there's not a whole lot goin' on up there otherwise. But the nature, beauty, and plentiful seclusion make it worth it. And being a couple hours from three of the great lakes ain't bad either.

Happy travels
Christine

Congratulations Christine, I too am jealous. Your new home is a beauty.